Well, my HD700 are sold and I just ordered a pair of HD800. Long story but it may take a few weeks. Looking forward to it!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 2/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- what's next?????my main phones are Sennheiser HD-800, secondary AKG-702 Last post on 3/4/14 at 12:48pm in Headphones (full-size)
- [Recommendations] Is there such a thing as hiss less portable amp? Last post on 3/3/14 at 6:42pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- TomsHardware: What Does It Take To Turn The PC Into A Hi-Fi Audio Platform? Last post on 3/2/14 at 2:07pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Should I Upgrade? Last post on 3/7/14 at 9:59am in Dedicated Source Components
- need help choosing future high end gear Last post on 2/26/14 at 8:28am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread - Page 180post #2686 of 90685/14/13 at 12:52pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2687 of 90685/14/13 at 1:32pmQuote:
Did you go colorware?
Edited by preproman - 5/14/13 at 2:22pmpost #2688 of 90685/14/13 at 1:49pmpost #2689 of 90685/14/13 at 1:57pm
No.. just using my inside retail connections. Wish I could do the Colorware black/cranberry but cross border orders are a PIA.post #2690 of 90685/14/13 at 5:30pmQuote:
It is worth the wait MV!post #2691 of 90685/14/13 at 9:17pmpost #2692 of 90685/14/13 at 9:39pmQuote:
Oh right...the Moth to the flame is a different amp now...
Edit: Levi will still be quite expensive though.
Edited by MorbidToaster - 5/14/13 at 9:42pmpost #2693 of 90685/14/13 at 10:32pmpost #2694 of 90685/15/13 at 7:17am
Maybe but there seems like there hasn't been an update in awhile.post #2695 of 90685/15/13 at 11:59am
Guys I think I am going to go wither either the WA2 Or WA6-SE for my HD800 setup. DAC wise I only need USB, I have no use for optical or coax since I am using a computer setup and I won't be connecting a CD transport or anything. Should I just go with something like an ODAC? Any recommendations?post #2696 of 90685/15/13 at 12:24pmQuote:Originally Posted by OICWUTUDIDTHAR
Guys I think I am going to go wither either the WA2 Or WA6-SE for my HD800 setup. DAC wise I only need USB, I have no use for optical or coax since I am using a computer setup and I won't be connecting a CD transport or anything. Should I just go with something like an ODAC? Any recommendations?
If you are set on going for usb only then try and make sure you get a dac with a asynchronous usb input. Normal usb inputs can give you jitter and are mostly limited to 16bit 44hz. Don't want to go down the bit war arguments.. but newer dacs have asynchronous usb implementation for a reason. It will clock the data received so that you get a bit perfect signal before it reaches the dac stage.
Also, there are plenty of usb to spdif converters on the market at the moment and I would recommend using one of those if you are using computer as source then you can feed the dac through the coaxial input (this is generally considered the best input). This will also give you the flexibility of using any dac.
Also, if you are on a budget then yes an odac will do you for now. But I would highly recommend upgrading asap as the HD800's will show it for what it is. A budget dac. Your source is as important as your amp and so try and find something equal to your Woo. Maybe a Bitfrost.
I can highly recommend the Vdac mkII as a quality alternative and it plays well with the HD800's. It has asynchronous usb and can easily compete with any mid price dac that I have heard.
Good luck :)post #2697 of 90685/15/13 at 1:33pm
Can anyone comment on how the Bifrost w/ the "Uber Analog" upgrade sounds with the HD800? I'd plan on using the Bifrost's optical input so I'm not as concerned with the "USB Gen 2" upgrade (though impressions there are certainly welcome).post #2698 of 90685/15/13 at 1:34pmpost #2699 of 90685/15/13 at 2:05pmQuote:
I can't comment on the Uber, safe to assume it's better than stock, but the real gem of the Gung is the digital input section. Give you a hint, PWD2 Digital Lens, for several thousands less ;)post #2700 of 90685/15/13 at 2:42pm
Very intriguing.. I've typically (almost always) had better results with optical and coax connections on DACs vs USB.. even on a nice until like the V800. So an improved USB section on the Bifrost would certainly be something I'd invest in if its worth it. I planned on using the Meridian Explorer as a USB-to-SPDIF converter (to feed the Bifrost), but if the USB on the Bifrost delivers, it's one less thing to have to hook up.
- The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › AKG K812 Pro 51 seconds ago
- › PONO - are you really serious??? 1 minute ago
- › The ATH-AD700 Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for... 2 minutes ago
- › Would you like to have Rockbox on X3 ..., and would you pay ? 3 minutes ago
- › Sol Republic Master Tracks XC Studio - Tuned by Calvin Harris 3 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › JVC HA-FX850 iem. Woody 3 minutes ago
- › Zana 2 inspired amp (6C33C) 3 minutes ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 4 minutes ago
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude