Hmm HDVD800 or something else?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 2/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Closed headphone alternative to HD 800 Last post on Yesterday at 4:03 am in Headphones (full-size)
- best portable headphone-600$ Last post on 12/15/13 at 5:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need Budget AMP worth to power Sennheiser HD600, HD800, HiFiMan-500, DT880... ??? Last post on Yesterday at 6:48 pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Help! Budget AMP worth of Sennheiser HD600, HD800, HiFiMan-500, DT880... ??? Last post on 12/17/13 at 6:41am in Headphones (full-size)
- Moving from speakers to headphones only (HD800) - to DAC or not to DAC. Last post on Yesterday at 10:32 am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/5/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
Intro This was my first real pair of headphones, and they satisfied me for two years. So it is only fitting that my first headphone review be on these awesome headphones. The HD598s are a great...
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
This is a review of the Noble 8c, an eight drivers 4 ways ciems. You could check the specs on the noble web site. Please be kind in your critics, as this is my first review ever, and that English...
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread - Page 151
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2252 of 69614/28/13 at 10:45pmpost #2253 of 69614/29/13 at 12:21ampost #2254 of 69614/29/13 at 1:45ampost #2255 of 69614/29/13 at 1:46ampost #2256 of 69614/29/13 at 5:16am
Something else. I heard the HDVD800 with HD800s at the last meet but wasn't too impressed. I also am concerned how it sounds with other headphones but didn't get the chance to dig into this. Off the top of my mind Burson Soloist. :)post #2257 of 69614/29/13 at 5:53amQuote:
That's both funny and too true!post #2258 of 69614/29/13 at 6:24ampost #2259 of 69614/29/13 at 6:36am
I am currently using both the Decware CSP2+ and Taboo MK III with the HD800's.
Decware ( www.decware.com ) is an Illinois based manufacturer of high end audio gear. All hand made with point to point wiring.
The Bottlehead Crack is a DIY tube amplifier made in WA state ( www.bottlehead.com ) I have never heard this amp, but it has a stellar reputation for sound quality at a great price. I know it is considered, along with the Decware CSP2+, as two of the finest HD650 amps you can buy.
The Decware CSP2+ is primarily a Pre-amp. I has a HP jack so it can be used with HP's without a separate amp. It was my primary amp for the HD800's for the last year. The new Taboo MK III is primarily an amp, but can also be used as an integrated amp as it does have 2 inputs for signal. You can connect your source to the CSP2+ and then connect the CSP2+ to the Taboo and use the volume control of the CSP2+ the manage output for the combined units.
I find the combo to have more authority and weight than either unit individually so I am using them in tandem.post #2260 of 69614/29/13 at 6:51am
wow how did i miss that site? i play guitar also - getting together on thursday with a friend who is going to show me the basics for putting together a tube amp. spotted the little 5 watt on that website. looks gorgeous! i see you have the wired for sound dac aswell hidden away on the second shelf while i only have an rcam . i need to upgradepost #2261 of 69614/29/13 at 10:44ampost #2262 of 69614/29/13 at 2:48pmQuote:
For me the HD800. The T1 I had was way brighter and edgier in the treble and the mids were not nearly as nice as on the HD800. My HD800 is awesome.
And YES. I also like even the HD650 better than the T1. I first "upgraded" from the HD650 to the T1 but I really did not dig the sound. Then I tried out the HE-500. Better but the HD650 was still more to my liking. But oddly, I enjoy the HD800 quite much. I've had it for a couple of weeks and probably will keep it. The FIRST REAL upgrade from the HD650. Still there are things the HD650 does better than the HD800 (female vocals, euphonic man), but in everything else, HD800 is king.
I originally got the T1 first because I heard that the HD800 was worse with treble. But that wasn't true. The treble on the HD800 is quite nice (I use the V-dac II which is quite mellow and the Lake People G100 amp). There was one thing where the T1 excelled and that was dynamics.
Edited by maarek99 - 4/29/13 at 2:55pmpost #2263 of 69614/29/13 at 3:46pm
In the brief time I listened to the T1 (balanced out of a tube amp and single ended out of an ss amp), I thought it was quite muddy compared to the HD800. Then again, everything sounds muddy to me right after listening to the HD800s. I thought the bass of the T1s wasn't very tight and overwhelmed the other frequencies. I didn't hear any sibilance, though. Seems that the impressions are all over the place for the T1s. Mids and treble were decent, though. I like the design of the Beyers as well.
Nothing touches the HD800s for soundstage and detail for me. Classical is now unlistenable on any other headphone.post #2264 of 69614/29/13 at 8:06pmpost #2265 of 69614/29/13 at 8:33pmQuote:
I was fortunate to have the HE-6s in for a listen for several days. I liked them very much, and thought they were driven quite well by my amp. I liked the tonal balance, but I still liked the soundstage and air of the HD800s more.
I wish I had the money and space to have a whole collection. I'd definitely have the HE-6 in the stable.
- The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 19 seconds ago
- › Help with Upgrading from Hifimediy Sabre DAC 30 seconds ago
- › The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market 32 seconds ago
- › VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions 48 seconds ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 1 minute ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 305 IEMs compared (Moe Audio MOE-SS01 Added... 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog Upgrade 1 minute ago
- › The Basshead Club 2 minutes ago
- › Headphones with deep bass, but clear mids and highs? 2 minutes ago
- › M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics) 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe