Hmm HDVD800 or something else?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 2/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- HD800 to HD650 Sound Signature Conversion + Dolby Headphone - Comment & Discuss! Last post on Today at 9:46 am in Computer Audio
- what's next?????my main phones are Sennheiser HD-800, secondary AKG-702 Last post on 3/4/14 at 12:48pm in Headphones (full-size)
- [Recommendations] Is there such a thing as hiss less portable amp? Last post on 3/3/14 at 6:42pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- TomsHardware: What Does It Take To Turn The PC Into A Hi-Fi Audio Platform? Last post on 3/2/14 at 2:07pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Should I Upgrade? Last post on 3/7/14 at 9:59am in Dedicated Source Components
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
My current set. My favorite and my private oasis. These beauties will cut out most if not all ambient noise like while driving in a car and household noise when the music is flowing. I became a fan...
I was asked to listen to the Musical Fidelity MF100 and received them about 4 weeks ago. I get quite a lot of headphones through my door, I only review the ones I like and I like these a lot. I...
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
So I finally broke my go to earbuds, and went searching for a replacement. I was actually so disappointed with these things that I made it a point to get out and put out a review. Bass continuously...
I was looking for closed headphones with a pricetag up to €200 that could be used without an amp. After some research and listening sessions I bought the M50x. There's really not a lot to say about...
The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread - Page 151
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2252 of 90864/28/13 at 10:45pmpost #2253 of 90864/29/13 at 12:21ampost #2254 of 90864/29/13 at 1:45ampost #2255 of 90864/29/13 at 1:46ampost #2256 of 90864/29/13 at 5:16am
Something else. I heard the HDVD800 with HD800s at the last meet but wasn't too impressed. I also am concerned how it sounds with other headphones but didn't get the chance to dig into this. Off the top of my mind Burson Soloist. :)post #2257 of 90864/29/13 at 5:53amQuote:
That's both funny and too true!post #2258 of 90864/29/13 at 6:24ampost #2259 of 90864/29/13 at 6:36am
I am currently using both the Decware CSP2+ and Taboo MK III with the HD800's.
Decware ( www.decware.com ) is an Illinois based manufacturer of high end audio gear. All hand made with point to point wiring.
The Bottlehead Crack is a DIY tube amplifier made in WA state ( www.bottlehead.com ) I have never heard this amp, but it has a stellar reputation for sound quality at a great price. I know it is considered, along with the Decware CSP2+, as two of the finest HD650 amps you can buy.
The Decware CSP2+ is primarily a Pre-amp. I has a HP jack so it can be used with HP's without a separate amp. It was my primary amp for the HD800's for the last year. The new Taboo MK III is primarily an amp, but can also be used as an integrated amp as it does have 2 inputs for signal. You can connect your source to the CSP2+ and then connect the CSP2+ to the Taboo and use the volume control of the CSP2+ the manage output for the combined units.
I find the combo to have more authority and weight than either unit individually so I am using them in tandem.post #2260 of 90864/29/13 at 6:51am
wow how did i miss that site? i play guitar also - getting together on thursday with a friend who is going to show me the basics for putting together a tube amp. spotted the little 5 watt on that website. looks gorgeous! i see you have the wired for sound dac aswell hidden away on the second shelf while i only have an rcam . i need to upgradepost #2261 of 90864/29/13 at 10:44ampost #2262 of 90864/29/13 at 2:48pmQuote:
For me the HD800. The T1 I had was way brighter and edgier in the treble and the mids were not nearly as nice as on the HD800. My HD800 is awesome.
And YES. I also like even the HD650 better than the T1. I first "upgraded" from the HD650 to the T1 but I really did not dig the sound. Then I tried out the HE-500. Better but the HD650 was still more to my liking. But oddly, I enjoy the HD800 quite much. I've had it for a couple of weeks and probably will keep it. The FIRST REAL upgrade from the HD650. Still there are things the HD650 does better than the HD800 (female vocals, euphonic man), but in everything else, HD800 is king.
I originally got the T1 first because I heard that the HD800 was worse with treble. But that wasn't true. The treble on the HD800 is quite nice (I use the V-dac II which is quite mellow and the Lake People G100 amp). There was one thing where the T1 excelled and that was dynamics.
Edited by maarek99 - 4/29/13 at 2:55pmpost #2263 of 90864/29/13 at 3:46pm
In the brief time I listened to the T1 (balanced out of a tube amp and single ended out of an ss amp), I thought it was quite muddy compared to the HD800. Then again, everything sounds muddy to me right after listening to the HD800s. I thought the bass of the T1s wasn't very tight and overwhelmed the other frequencies. I didn't hear any sibilance, though. Seems that the impressions are all over the place for the T1s. Mids and treble were decent, though. I like the design of the Beyers as well.
Nothing touches the HD800s for soundstage and detail for me. Classical is now unlistenable on any other headphone.post #2264 of 90864/29/13 at 8:06pmpost #2265 of 90864/29/13 at 8:33pmQuote:
I was fortunate to have the HE-6s in for a listen for several days. I liked them very much, and thought they were driven quite well by my amp. I liked the tonal balance, but I still liked the soundstage and air of the HD800s more.
I wish I had the money and space to have a whole collection. I'd definitely have the HE-6 in the stable.
- The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Fresh outta CES: The Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560 6 seconds ago
- › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Tom's Hardware Hi-Fi equipment test 2 minutes ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 2 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 3 minutes ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones 3 minutes ago
- › The Basshead Club 4 minutes ago
- › VSonic GR07 Bass Edition Impressions 5 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 6 minutes ago
- › if i'm using the modi/magni, would DT770 250ohm sound better than... 7 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by echo1284
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude