That's the problem with that headphone. The scale and get better while doing it.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 2/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Closed headphone alternative to HD 800 Last post on 12/18/13 at 4:03am in Headphones (full-size)
- best portable headphone-600$ Last post on 12/15/13 at 5:30pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need Budget AMP worth to power Sennheiser HD600, HD800, HiFiMan-500, DT880... ??? Last post on 12/18/13 at 6:48pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Help! Budget AMP worth of Sennheiser HD600, HD800, HiFiMan-500, DT880... ??? Last post on 12/17/13 at 6:41am in Headphones (full-size)
- Moving from speakers to headphones only (HD800) - to DAC or not to DAC. Last post on 12/18/13 at 10:32am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: Today
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
I recently traded my ATM-50's since they unfortunately lost lower frequencies and started crackling in the left ear. So I thought "Why not try something different". I was looking for something to...
Intro This was my first real pair of headphones, and they satisfied me for two years. So it is only fitting that my first headphone review be on these awesome headphones. The HD598s are a great...
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
This is a review of the Noble 8c, an eight drivers 4 ways ciems. You could check the specs on the noble web site. Please be kind in your critics, as this is my first review ever, and that English...
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread - Page 119post #1771 of 69684/8/13 at 6:17am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1772 of 69684/8/13 at 6:27am
It is good in a sense that it keeps getting better as the gear gets better but I do wish sometimes that the gear I had now was as good as it gets. The HE6 is the hardest to drive headphone I've owned. If I already had speakers then it wouldn't be bad since I would just be able to see if those amps would work with the HE6 or not. However since I don't I wanted minimal space since most speaker amps are quite large (there are exceptions of course like those virtue amps among others) I just ended up with the mini X amp I have now. That's probably where I will max out with the HE6 for the next few years at least.post #1773 of 69684/8/13 at 6:48am
I find that both the HD800 and HE6 are very fast with the Master-6, certainly have to issues in that department or in the dynamics of any of my phones.
Sometimes the dynamics are quite scary.
ATM I don't find the HD800's are faster although they might seem that way at times due to a leaner tonal balance. I would say though that the HE6's are running balanced with a silver cable which is much better and much faster sounding thans stock, where as the HD800's are currently running single ended via stock cable.
I have balanced Toxic Silver Widow cables ordered for the HE6's, HD800's & LCD2.2's so my perception may change in the near future.post #1774 of 69684/8/13 at 7:46am
So I ordered a replacement headband pad today. It came out to around $40 shipped. I'm pretty surprised at the costs really as well as when I ordered spare earpads. The prices are lower than what I would have expected although welcomed :)
I guess after a few years the headband pad and the earpads have to replaced due to flaking.post #1775 of 69684/8/13 at 8:46amHow much are the earpads?
Also, regarding the HD800 vs. HE-6, its been my experience (HE-400, 500, 5LE) that the HiFiMAN headphones "come alive" only at louder volumes. Is this the case with the HE-6? I listen at lower volumes and find the HD800 very good at all listening levels.post #1776 of 69684/8/13 at 8:48am
I can't remember how much they were but I think they were around 70 or 80. It's still expensive but less than how much headroom had them priced at.
Actually I just did a quick search in my email and it was 73.27
Edited by rawrster - 4/8/13 at 8:57ampost #1777 of 69684/8/13 at 8:59amQuote:Originally Posted by Operakid
Such wisdom! I have been in the high end industry 3 decades and I have heard this only a handful of times from end users. For a fact much "perceived break in" is in actuality this factor! I have seen folks go from one piece of equip to a much brighter one that was reviewed positively and hear them say, "well, it's bright, but it will break in". Weeks later when I've visited them I've asked "how is it" only to always hear "much better, really nice now". I then swap in the original, let them listen, then swap in the new, and they say "Oh, that's bright"!
Yes, the ears adjust, and this is a big part of the "break in game" as I call it.
Certainly, some break in happens, especially with speaker surrounds and spiders, and more so with woofers. But much of it with other equipment is exaggerated.
Think of putting on sunglasses: everything is colored. 10 minutes later you don't notice the coloration. Every audio guy thinking he is immune to the aural version of this is in denial.
HD800s do break in. I broke mine in, in their box for days. Check for 30 seconds every day or so until smooths out. Admitedly my whole chain was breaking in at the time, so the HPs were just part of the break in process.post #1778 of 69684/8/13 at 9:17amWith tube gear, an argument could be made that they are "breaking in" throughout their entire lifespan. One could also say that every tube (within the same model/production run) will have production variation.post #1780 of 69684/8/13 at 12:02pmQuote:
Because you can't claim 'brain burn in' when he only listens 30 seconds a day? Love how the sceptics change the reasoning of their 'logic' to fit their hatred of the fact that other people can sometimes hear things they themselves cannot. Carry on. :)
-Danielpost #1781 of 69684/8/13 at 12:39pmQuote:
My new pair was offensively bright out of the box, nothing like refurbished pair I had before, in fact it was so bad I didn't even bother listening them on that day, just pink noised them overnight and viola, no more screws into ears treble, smooth as a butter.post #1783 of 69684/8/13 at 12:54pm
I do believe in burn in. But the only thing that I can say may have changed with my now 3 week old Senn's, is the soundstage. It does seem to be wider now than it was straight out the box. I know this because I compared my K701's and they were wider at the time. But not now. The HD800's for me have shown the least burn in difference in comparison to pretty much all my other quality hp's that I've bought brand new. Makes me wonder if they do go through some sort of burn in process at the factory.post #1784 of 69684/8/13 at 1:06pmQuote:
Actually one of the strengths of the HD800 is that it doesn't change depending on position. Within reason obviously.
- The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Minneapolis meet Jan 26, 2014 3 minutes ago
- › Bravo Audio - funny looking little tube amps 3 minutes ago
- › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone... 5 minutes ago
- › Dunu DN-1000 - Dunu's hybrid IEM - Appreciation thread 6 minutes ago
- › DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions 6 minutes ago
- › Toxic Cables - The Appreciation Thread 6 minutes ago
- › PSA - W3s on sale for $139.99!! 6 minutes ago
- › the CTH (Compact Tube Hybrid) Rev A thread... 6 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by Misterbushido-
- › Ultrasone DJ1 by HybridBlinds
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by SocialCapital