Oh and not saying the WA22 is a bad amp or not an upgrade over the other Woo amps just that for the $2400(tubes on this beast aren't cheap) you can do much better, ie poor value. For example the B22 is a direct drop in replacement to the WA22 and you can buy those used for $800. Still wouldn't get that per say for the HD800 just drawing an example.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 2/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- my new HD800's - buy expensive balanced XLR female cable to try $15K preamp or buy dedicated... Last post on 4/15/14 at 10:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HELP! Suggestions for Sennheiser HD800 - HDVD800 or WA22? Last post on 4/15/14 at 8:21pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Trying out Headphones Last post on 4/11/14 at 3:17am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- REVIEW - HiFiMan HE-560 Planar Magnetic Headphones - Stock Headphone Impressions here, No Mods... Last post on Yesterday at 12:07 am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best "You Are There" Headphones.... Sennheiser HD 800s? Last post on 3/29/14 at 1:51pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
The entire Sony xba line is gorgeous: very sensitive and well executed lines, comfortable despite size, flat cable, nice case, a 90'plug. The first time I tried the Xba3 the sound wasn't...
I purchased this on Amazon from a vendor that had a combined listing for the older model and newer E07 Andes. So I received the new model at the old model price and saved about $20. So that was...
These earphones are slightly overpriced compared to some competitive earphones. I think. I love the over-ear construction and the isolation is superb. The sound quality is impressive and...
Have had these for 3 months after losing a pair of Pioneer HDJ 500s. Preferred the look and build quality of the Pioneers, but the Sonys look ok and fold up nicely. The HDJ 500s didn't fold, but...
I think some of the reviews above have missed the real point of the i-20 for audiophiles, it provides an excellent spdif output from an iPod. Used with an external DAC the sound is excellent and...
The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread - Page 98post #1456 of 100413/30/13 at 4:16am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1457 of 100413/30/13 at 4:20ampost #1459 of 100413/30/13 at 4:51am
Lots of choices for flavour headphones without going completely off your rocker and getting a high priced Grato err Grado. Beyer 990 or Senn 650 or AT anything are all less expensive, more comfortable and just as flavoured.post #1460 of 100413/30/13 at 4:56amQuote:
I hope you're joking. As long as Grado interests people enough to buy their products, it's great and correct they do make them.post #1461 of 100413/30/13 at 5:35ampost #1462 of 100413/30/13 at 5:48am
Competitive in terms of what? Remember that this hobby is an extremely subjective business... It's as much subjective as any objectivist here on head-fi is being highly criticised for even trying to be objective. ,-)
So I hope you realise that your view on Grado is nearly 100% subjective and therefore =/= the ultimate truth. My opinion is no less subjective, of course (not a Grado fan).
Edited by RustA - 3/30/13 at 5:51ampost #1463 of 100413/30/13 at 6:14am
My opinion of Grado is objective. They measure like garbage, they aren't well constructed, they aren't comfortable and they cost a lot more than their competitors. Subjectively you may like their flawed response, but objectively they're junk. Their $80 model is ok though.post #1465 of 100413/30/13 at 7:02amQuote:Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi
Off course they "measure like garbage" , but I still imagine people "subjectively" like them.
Anyway the "objective" argument , is only used when you find it's convenient.
Lot of expensive source (amp/dac) suggested on this thread , and no measurements, in the name of the sacro saint subjectivity.
When it's grados, then the objective argument is getting back.
I'm not sure if you are realizing the "double standard" used here to make any judgment.
This... Yes, this is head-fi.post #1466 of 100413/30/13 at 7:25am
All of my opinions are based on objective data and subjective experience. But yes a lot of people like things that are objectively a poor choice. For example I went back to the LCD-2 after owning the LCD-3 because subjectively it never sounded quite right and objectively it rings quite a bit.
On the HD800 front though objectively I expected to like them... subjectively I really didn't enjoy it the first two times. So subjectively I expected to be disappointed again this time out but now with my current gear they're subjectively awesome.
What drives me nuts is pure objectivists or pure subjectivists. Or worse objectivists who have exceptions making their objectivity more about justifying not spending money more than actual objectivity. The spending multiples of funds on the transducer instead of the amp or source comes to mind. Objectively there is no reason to believe transducers aren't bound by their measurements if you believe electronics or cables are. Just saying ;)post #1467 of 100413/30/13 at 7:46am
I'm now a proud owner of the HD800 after jumping from Beyer T1.. Really loving the HD800 now.. i find the treble just slightly exaggerated with some songs, but overall its acceptable, much better than the stock T1 (I have felt dampering mods on them). Overall am happy switching to the HD800.. the little improvements in sound is what got me.
Am currently running it with Audio-GD NFB 3.32 and Meier Concerto. What do you guys think of my rig? i'm loving the sound so far :)post #1469 of 100413/30/13 at 8:58amQuote:Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi
But the headphone is the weakest link in the audio chain, it's the biggest bottleneck, that's why it still make sense.
Just like the performance of a pc is hampered by the hard drive, and the purchase of an expensive ssd make sense.
The source is not often a bottleneck, and now if you found source that let you better appreciate "subjectively"
your hd800, I'd be curious about the more technical details/measurements of your source.
The irony, is that it might be precisely because your source measure badly, that you'd appreciate better your hd800.
I agree, If strictly limited to a certain budget, I'd much rather have an HD800 with say, an O2/ODAC than a K701 with $1000 amp/dac combo. Obviously there is a lot of potential to be wrung out of the HD800 but with a lesser headphone, you can only max it out so much. And you can always upgrade your source components down the road.post #1470 of 100413/30/13 at 1:53pm
Performance can be measured objectively, but perception will always be subjective.
On paper my BMW doesn't have as much acceleration, cornering, or braking ability as a Toyota Corrolla, but subjectively it's a lot more fun to drive.
- The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
- › Audio Sensibility Cables, any experience? 12 seconds ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... 1 minute ago
- › The FitEar CIEM Appreciation/Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › SONY XB90EX 3 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 3 minutes ago
- › Toxic Cables - The Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 4 minutes ago
- › Q701 appreciation thread 5 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 6 minutes ago
- › Car audio-Fi 6 minutes ago
- › Sony XBA-3SL by squallkiercosa
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by originalsnuffy
- › Shure SE535-V Earphone by david8090
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by Vero Golf Champ
- › Pure i20 iPod Dock by Gruffnutz
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob