Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread - Page 77

post #1141 of 10013

Take pictures, post, collect and ship :P

post #1142 of 10013

Yep - Easy as that..  

post #1143 of 10013
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

I don't know what I'd do if 1 of the 3 had to go

 

There's a chance that I'll figure out a way to keep all of them, but then I'll have to find something else I can sell...

 

Who needs a kidney?

post #1144 of 10013
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICWUTUDIDTHAR View Post

I wonder how the asgard 2 fairs with the hd800s...

So far I am enjoying the combo, but my experience with both so far is limited.  Need to get the HD800's on a few different amps right next to each other to compare.  Maybe some of the folks with more experience from our Winnipeg meet can chime in here.  We will also be doing another one on the 27th that I am sure we will have more data to share from.

 

Wholy cow, I just noticed how bad my sentence structure is...I need a break.


Edited by bearFNF - 3/21/13 at 3:43pm
post #1145 of 10013

Finally after some struggling, I  managed to reduce the fatigue I  experiment with the hd800, while preserving a decent clarity.

I  tried all crossfeed I  could find , including the famous bs2b , but it does stuff wrong to transients, and the hd800 is enough resolving to show it.

So I  tried first complex dsp chain, until I  realized that I  could reproduce myself a basic  crossfeed and still get a better result than the software solutions available . I'm guessing that the quality of the low pass filter makes a difference.  I  have a slight comb effect, but compensating the biggest hump is enough for me (I  used an analyser to locate and correct it).

Here's roughly my crossfeed  (this doesn't explain everything, but to get an idea) :

 

 

And to conclude, I  think that most of the fatigue I  experimented with the hd800 ,

doesn't come from the supposed brightness , but  paradoxically with the bass.

When you have a clean bass ,sometimes hitting hard and alternating between left and right,

this can induce  fatigue.  The crossfeed help to "recenter" the bass, while trying to preserve as much as possible the mids/treble.

 

Hopefully this would be the last time I   spend that much time with dsp, and I  can begin to listen more naturally to music now, with my hd800.

post #1146 of 10013
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post

Finally after some struggling, I  managed to reduce the fatigue I  experiment with the hd800, while preserving a decent clarity.
I  tried all crossfeed I  could find , including the famous bs2b , but it does stuff wrong to transients, and the hd800 is enough resolving to show it.
So I  tried first complex dsp chain, until I  realized that I  could reproduce myself a basic  crossfeed and still get a better result than the software solutions available . I'm guessing that the quality of the low pass filter makes a difference.  I  have a slight comb effect, but compensating the biggest hump is enough for me (I  used an analyser to locate and correct it).
Here's roughly my crossfeed  (this doesn't explain everything, but to get an idea) :




And to conclude, I  think that most of the fatigue I  experimented with the hd800 ,
doesn't come from the supposed brightness , but  paradoxically with the bass.
When you have a clean bass ,sometimes hitting hard and alternating between left and right,
this can induce  fatigue.  The crossfeed help to "recenter" the bass, while trying to preserve as much as possible the mids/treble.

Hopefully this would be the last time I   spend that much time with dsp, and I  can begin to listen more naturally to music now, with my hd800.

Is that MAX/MSP? Looks very cool and I'm wondering if you can share that somehow and let me know how you use this in your chain? Please send me a PM or something, that is legitimately interesting stuff man. Thanks!
post #1147 of 10013
Quote:
Originally Posted by toschek View Post


Is that MAX/MSP? Looks very cool and I'm wondering if you can share that somehow and let me know how you use this in your chain? Please send me a PM or something, that is legitimately interesting stuff man. Thanks!

That's Reaktor not MAX/MSP. 

post #1148 of 10013
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post

Finally after some struggling, I  managed to reduce the fatigue I  experiment with the hd800, while preserving a decent clarity.

I  tried all crossfeed I  could find , including the famous bs2b , but it does stuff wrong to transients, and the hd800 is enough resolving to show it.

So I  tried first complex dsp chain, until I  realized that I  could reproduce myself a basic  crossfeed and still get a better result than the software solutions available . I'm guessing that the quality of the low pass filter makes a difference.  I  have a slight comb effect, but compensating the biggest hump is enough for me (I  used an analyser to locate and correct it).

Here's roughly my crossfeed  (this doesn't explain everything, but to get an idea) :

 

 

And to conclude, I  think that most of the fatigue I  experimented with the hd800 ,

doesn't come from the supposed brightness , but  paradoxically with the bass.

When you have a clean bass ,sometimes hitting hard and alternating between left and right,

this can induce  fatigue.  The crossfeed help to "recenter" the bass, while trying to preserve as much as possible the mids/treble.

 

Hopefully this would be the last time I   spend that much time with dsp, and I  can begin to listen more naturally to music now, with my hd800.

 

I have to agree with a well implemented crossfeed helping reduce fatigue with the HD800.  I use the built in JRiver crossfeed on "subtle" and it seems to help close the center gap a bit and sound a bit more natural without noticeable degradation.  Imaging also sound more natural to my ears. I also have JRiver set to internally process DSP at 64 bit floating point if that makes a difference.  

 

I find any higher levels of the built in crossfeed tends to smear things a bit which is why I keep it on subtle. 

post #1149 of 10013

I'm a big fan of adding crossfeed to get a natural sound. I tried many solutions and finally found one that works perfectly for me. You can try this for free and see if you like it. I suggest you can use minimal settings with Isone to just use the crossfeed or you can get fancy and use the many other functions in the program. I keep it simple and the results are fantastic. Here is a link to their site:  

 

http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-isone/

 

After setting it up and living with it for a while I couldn't live without it.

post #1150 of 10013

That is hella cool, thanks for the link.

post #1151 of 10013
Quote:
Originally Posted by toschek View Post


Is that MAX/MSP? Looks very cool and I'm wondering if you can share that somehow and let me know how you use this in your chain?

I use Art Teknika "Console Modular Studio", but I guess you could use something else. It has good compatibility, when I use it inside foobar , with a vst adapter. I may post details in a dedicated thread later. Just wanted to say : "I don't need to re-invent the crossfeed principle,

if it's done properly, it works well".

post #1152 of 10013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodi View Post

I'm a big fan of adding crossfeed to get a natural sound. I tried many solutions and finally found one that works perfectly for me. You can try this for free and see if you like it. I suggest you can use minimal settings with Isone to just use the crossfeed or you can get fancy and use the many other functions in the program. I keep it simple and the results are fantastic. Here is a link to their site:  

 

http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-isone/

 

After setting it up and living with it for a while I couldn't live without it.


I  missed the fact that tb-isone could work only as a crossfeed. The room simulators completely change frequency response,

and I  figured out you don't need to do something that radical to reduce fatigue.

But  otherwise, here's how the frequency response of tb isone looks like with minimal crossfeed preset:

 

The comb effect looks pronounced to me, but you might still enjoy it. The bs2b has no comb effect, but I  didn't like it.

post #1153 of 10013

I posted here, the detail of how I created my custom crossfeed ( link below):

 

How to “create” a crossfeed (the steps).

post #1154 of 10013

So this is the graph that I just got from Sennheiser for my HD800's.

Is this what other's received?

 

post #1155 of 10013
Yes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread