or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The WS99/WS77 PG 57..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The WS99/WS77 PG 57.. - Page 118

post #1756 of 1769
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpickr View Post
 

Tyll posted the below statement in a January 2015 update on InnerFidelity:

 

Audio Technica ATH-WS99 - A somewhat thick and murky bass to mid transition mars this otherwise pretty good little headphone. Priced a bit too high as well.
Read more at http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelity-update-january-2015#7PTAFRVRRlizyD41.99

 

Does everyone here agree about the bass to mid transition criticism?  I'm really enjoying the WS99 and don't have any issues with the sound.  I don't have trained ears like some of you guys though.

I can see where this is coming from - the tuning, also a bit of feebleness can be felt in the 100hz area on tunes with bass resonance there, but that might be my unamped-ness (there is a peak in impendance right there and it might be causing it, if I am understanding the concept correctly). 

post #1757 of 1769
You can get it for 100 euro on ebay and it sounds amazing dude do not listen to Innerfidelity i think that guy sucks with most of his headphone choices and his knowledge,this is a wolf in sheepsclothing and also a good allrounder far better then a lot of headphones,but you need a portable amp with good bassboost to let them shine......
post #1758 of 1769
I see where Tyll is coming from, but that mid-bass awkwardness was not much of an issue for me, considering how much they get right. The WS99 is a non-fatiguing, fun listen. A warm easy-to-drive headphone with an overall lush, musical sound. Male vocals in particular are wonderful with these. One can crank and get wonderful dynamics without any sign of sibilance or treble fatigue. While the bass has punch and depth, that mid-bass does creep a bit over the low mids, which might be an issue for some. There's just a sense here and there that the lower mids are wonky, but it wasn't a dealbreaker for me. A cool, sleek design adds to the appeal, though the cans have a somewhat odd connection to the headband. Just one screw that's right at the swivel point. This means that swiveling the cups can loosen the screw over time. It wouldn't be an issue, except that it's a tight fit to tighten the screw every now and then. Comfort is good. Replacement pads are easy to find, for anyone worried about earpad depth. One odd thing is that the back plate on one side has sharp, barely-polished ridges. It's a strange design decision, perhaps for easy differentiation of left and right. The WS99 has a beautiful minimalist design and makes for a great everyday, portable choice, with just those few cons above. I didn't keep these in my collection after an A-B comparison with the Momentum 2.0, because I fell for the detail and mid-centric sound of the Sennheiser's. But now I'm finding the Momentums overly bright with many sources, and I'm missing the Audio-Technicas. If one can overlook the minor cons (and the non-detachable cable), the WS99 is a lush, fun, and stylish steal at under $200. Anyone who cringes at the somewhat metallic treble of the M50x might want to consider auditioning these for non-studio use, for electronic music in particular.
Edited by timlily - 8/4/15 at 6:37am
post #1759 of 1769
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlily View Post

I see where Tyll is coming from, but that mid-bass awkwardness was not much of an issue for me, considering how much they get right. The WS99 is a non-fatiguing, fun listen. A warm easy-to-drive headphone with an overall lush, musical sound. Male vocals in particular are wonderful with these. One can crank and get wonderful dynamics without any sign of sibilance or treble fatigue. While the bass has punch and depth, that mid-bass does creep a bit over the low mids, which might be an issue for some. There's just a sense here and there that the lower mids are wonky, but it wasn't a dealbreaker for me. A cool, sleek design adds to the appeal, though the cans have a somewhat odd connection to the headband. Just one screw that's right at the swivel point. This means that swiveling the cups can loosen the screw over time. It wouldn't be an issue, except that it's a tight fit to tighten the screw every now and then. Comfort is good. Replacement pads are easy to find, for anyone worried about earpad depth. One odd thing is that the back plate on one side has sharp, barely-polished ridges. It's a strange design decision, perhaps for easy differentiation of left and right. The WS99 has a beautiful minimalist design and makes for a great everyday, portable choice, with just those few cons above. I didn't keep these in my collection after an A-B comparison with the Momentum 2.0, because I fell for the detail and mid-centric sound of the Sennheiser's. But now I'm finding the Momentums overly bright with many sources, and I'm missing the Audio-Technicas. If one can overlook the minor cons (and the non-detachable cable), the WS99 is a lush, fun, and stylish steal at under $200. Anyone who cringes at the somewhat metallic treble of the M50x might want to consider auditioning these for non-studio use, for electronic music in particular.

 

I'm definitely enjoying it and am overlooking the minor cons you mentioned.  Another one I'm enjoying quite a lot that I recently acquired is the Sony MDR-XB500.  I got it used locally for a whopping $20.  

post #1760 of 1769
i haven't tried the XB500. I own the XB950BT, but I don't use them much. I find the mids too recessed and bass too boomy. While I have basshead tendencies, I want a bit more clarity across the range than my XB950BT affords. The WS99 is a much cleaner and more musical listen than the XB950BT (even wired).
post #1761 of 1769
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlily View Post

i haven't tried the XB500. I own the XB950BT, but I don't use them much. I find the mids too recessed and bass too boomy. While I have basshead tendencies, I want a bit more clarity across the range than my XB950BT affords. The WS99 is a much cleaner and more musical listen than the XB950BT (even wired).

 

I had the regular XB950 for a while.  Not to impressed.  Ended up returning them.  The XB500, on the other hand, is more balanced to my ear with a strong low end.  I believe they have somewhat of a cult following since they have been discontinued.  I regularly switch between the XB500, WS99 and bass modded Senn HD439.  Happy with them all.  Planning to add the Philips SHP9500 when it goes back on sale just to have a "open/detailed" HP alternative for acoustic music.

post #1762 of 1769
I've considered the Phillips SHP9500 also when looking for open headphones, mostly because I get a bit needlessly enthused about 50+ mm drivers. I think I've read they're a bit light on bass and very bright, so I should probably stay away. I found both the Sennheiser HD598 and Fidelio X1 too bright. The 598 sounded thin and shrill to me. I liked the fullness of the X1, but the treble was too much for me. At one point I had an HD650, and I should have kept those. The HD650 are my favorite open headphones of the ones I've owned. Thanks for sharing about the XB500. For some reason I never pulled the trigger on those. I have come across people mentioning them a lot.
post #1763 of 1769
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlily View Post

I've considered the Phillips SHP9500 also when looking for open headphones, mostly because I get a bit needlessly enthused about 50+ mm drivers. I think I've read they're a bit light on bass and very bright, so I should probably stay away. I found both the Sennheiser HD598 and Fidelio X1 too bright. The 598 sounded thin and shrill to me. I liked the fullness of the X1, but the treble was too much for me. At one point I had an HD650, and I should have kept those. The HD650 are my favorite open headphones of the ones I've owned. Thanks for sharing about the XB500. For some reason I never pulled the trigger on those. I have come across people mentioning them a lot.

 

Well, now you have me doubting the SHP9500s LOL.  I got rid of a set of Superlux HD681s because I couldn't take the treble.  Just like you, I also had the HD598s and got rid of them because they were just too thin and boring. Never tried the X1s.  Both the X1 and the HD650 are out of my budget unfortunately.  I may still give the 9500s a shot.  Will just have to make sure I get them from a place with a good return policy (probably Amazon or Newegg). 

post #1764 of 1769
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpickr View Post

 

Well, now you have me doubting the SHP9500s LOL.  I got rid of a set of Superlux HD681s because I couldn't take the treble.  Just like you, I also had the HD598s and got rid of them because they were just too thin and boring. Never tried the X1s.  Both the X1 and the HD650 are out of my budget unfortunately.  I may still give the 9500s a shot.  Will just have to make sure I get them from a place with a good return policy (probably Amazon or Newegg). 

 

A few trusted friends who have the 9500's (and who are used to more expensive gear) think they are rather fantastic. I'm going to get a pair for sure when hopefully they go on sale again.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlily View Post

I've considered the Phillips SHP9500 also when looking for open headphones, mostly because I get a bit needlessly enthused about 50+ mm drivers. I think I've read they're a bit light on bass and very bright, so I should probably stay away. I found both the Sennheiser HD598 and Fidelio X1 too bright. The 598 sounded thin and shrill to me. I liked the fullness of the X1, but the treble was too much for me. At one point I had an HD650, and I should have kept those. The HD650 are my favorite open headphones of the ones I've owned. Thanks for sharing about the XB500. For some reason I never pulled the trigger on those. I have come across people mentioning them a lot.

 

That interesting that you find the X1's too bright (I have never thought that).

post #1765 of 1769
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post

That interesting that you find the X1's too bright (I have never thought that).

I'm sensitive to treble, and I'd guess most people wouldn't find the X1 bright. As always, source is key, and I tested the X1 with an iPhone 6 and iPad Air, which to me are bright in general. I tend to listen at a high volume to get the bass pumping. The SHP9500 looks to be really nice and beloved, but I usualy don't want to deal with a separate DAC/amp right now to get to my desired sound signature. Something like the WS99 I'd never call bright, but I'd also hesitate to call it dark, because the mids are sweet and the highs aren't heavily rolled off. They're such an easy listen. Yes, mids and treble are recessed, but it's not really noticeable unless compared directly with a more resolving headphone. Soundwise, my only issue was the bass to mids weirdness, which was bearable. I'm considering purchasing a new pair, but I might wait to see if the WS99BT makes it to the US, as it doesn't seem to have that loosening screw at the swivel construction.
post #1766 of 1769
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlily View Post


I'm sensitive to treble, and I'd guess most people wouldn't find the X1 bright. As always, source is key, and I tested the X1 with an iPhone 6 and iPad Air, which to me are bright in general. I tend to listen at a high volume to get the bass pumping. The SHP9500 looks to be really nice and beloved, but I usualy don't want to deal with a separate DAC/amp right now to get to my desired sound signature. Something like the WS99 I'd never call bright, but I'd also hesitate to call it dark, because the mids are sweet and the highs aren't heavily rolled off. They're such an easy listen. Yes, mids and treble are recessed, but it's not really noticeable unless compared directly with a more resolving headphone. Soundwise, my only issue was the bass to mids weirdness, which was bearable. I'm considering purchasing a new pair, but I might wait to see if the WS99BT makes it to the US, as it doesn't seem to have that loosening screw at the swivel construction.

 

Good stuff. And the ws99's are indeed an easy and wonderful listen. I've been enjoying the Mike Rutherford's basslines in older Genesis (ala "the Cage") today with the ws99's, and it's been very enjoyable indeed. But yes, I'd better figure out how to get that damned screw tightened pdq lol!

post #1767 of 1769
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post

Good stuff. And the ws99's are indeed an easy and wonderful listen. I've been enjoying the Mike Rutherford's basslines in older Genesis (ala "the Cage") today with the ws99's, and it's been very enjoyable indeed. But yes, I'd better figure out how to get that damned screw tightened pdq lol!

If you can find a tiny offset screwdriver (L-shaped) with really low clearance between the head and the L-bend, that would work for tightening the screw. I couldn't find one small enough when I owned the WS99. Maybe a hobby shop that sells car/plane/etc models would have one. I also considered some kind of locking glue to lock the scew in place, but I didn't want any strain tranferred to the plastic during swivel. I love the design and mostly love the sound of the WS99. Some places are selling them for around $125, The Head-Fi'er who's doing that awesome bluetooth shootout loves the WS99BT. I'm considering them or the non-bluetooth model for a future purchase/repurchase.
post #1768 of 1769
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlily View Post


If you can find a tiny offset screwdriver (L-shaped) with really low clearance between the head and the L-bend, that would work for tightening the screw. I couldn't find one small enough when I owned the WS99. Maybe a hobby shop that sells car/plane/etc models would have one. I also considered some kind of locking glue to lock the scew in place, but I didn't want any strain tranferred to the plastic during swivel. I love the design and mostly love the sound of the WS99. Some places are selling them for around $125, The Head-Fi'er who's doing that awesome bluetooth shootout loves the WS99BT. I'm considering them or the non-bluetooth model for a future purchase/repurchase.

 

Thanks! I have a small screw driver bit that I'm trying to get cut short enough. But a small L-shaped one would be ideal.

post #1769 of 1769

How do the WS99s sound straight out of a phone?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The WS99/WS77 PG 57..