Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The NEW WS99/WS77 PG 57..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The NEW WS99/WS77 PG 57.. - Page 7

post #91 of 1724
Just mentioning i have pair for sale in traders section. 215 shipped from mi priority ups.
post #92 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaveli06 View Post

Just mentioning i have pair for sale in traders section. 215 shipped from mi priority ups.

 

Good deal $400 for both of them (fxz200 and ws99)! If I hadn't already shell-shocked myself lately, I'd be tempted!

post #93 of 1724
Yeah, just got sm64...so tryin to recoup some of cost
post #94 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post


I will add stuff to the OP that will eventually be a full review but for now. I am just soaking up how they sound. And they sound freaking great to my ears.. So much right with this type of tuning on these cans to go with the tech behind the sound..

 

Danny I am 100% certain is fixed on getting pair. We are all kinda waiting a bit for another AT product to come out in a CKN70 earphones. Once that happens.. He will be the man with the M100 comparo..

 

 

alright then beyersmile.png

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malevolent View Post

 

Yup, and that's a real big problem. I'm thinking between getting either the WS99 and the M-100. Will head down to the headphones store later today to do a good A/Bing of the 2, if possible. Can't wait to hear the WS99 in action!


will you post your impressions? please?

post #95 of 1724

Where in the world does one have to live in order to have the luxury to be able to demo both a M100 and ATH-WS99. I would be happy to find even much more popular headphones.

post #96 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post

Where in the world does one have to live in order to have the luxury to be able to demo both a M100 and ATH-WS99. I would be happy to find even much more popular headphones.


where i live youd be lucky to find a sennheiser or maybe a sony amongst a load of obscure non-existent brands, tucked away at the back and pricing in at 3 times the price... if i went to a big electronics shop i could have any beats or skull candy i wanted, because everyone in this god forsaken country knows that those are the ones you want for TOTL hifi sound. ugh.......

 

edit: what im saying is that i feel your pain =\

post #97 of 1724

Non-removable cable on a $200+ headphone? What were they thinking!? But looking forward to the M-100 comparison... could always mod the cables wink.gif

post #98 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlr View Post


where i live youd be lucky to find a sennheiser or maybe a sony amongst a load of obscure non-existent brands, tucked away at the back and pricing in at 3 times the price... if i went to a big electronics shop i could have any beats or skull candy i wanted, because everyone in this god forsaken country knows that those are the ones you want for TOTL hifi sound. ugh.......

 

edit: what im saying is that i feel your pain =\

 

Well yea same here minus Beats, they don't carry Beats around here in Finland all that much, it's mostly Skullcandy, more Skullcandy, some lowend Sony and Philips headphones and of course (which isn't that bad option really but yea the sight of them bores me as they are everywhere both in shops and on the streets and I call them the Finnish style Beats headphones; the Koss Porta Pro. That covers about 90% headphone inventory here, I remember I was even somewhat excited seeing XB500 in a shop! xD These days they just carry some leftover XB300 stock though.


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 2/12/13 at 11:17am
post #99 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlr View Post


will you post your impressions? please?

 

Had a listening session with the M-100 and the WS99 today. I wish I could spend more time with them, but my wife was around, and its never to good to keep her waiting. At least she auditioned the cans with me too. biggrin.gif

 

Anyway, I listened to them for about 20 mins from an Android phone with Poweramp (with and without EQ), and I came off quite impressed by the sound of both cans.

 

For bass presentation, the M-100 is both bassier and boomier than the WS99. The latter sounds something like a WS55 with slightly boosted bass levels - the bass was punchy, and has good detail. The M-100 on the other hand had more rumble and greater mid-bass quantity. The texture of the bass on the WS99 is a little sharper with slighly less decay.

 

In the midrange, the M-100 sounds quite recessed when compared to the WS99. The Audio-Technica had quite forward mids relative to the M-100, and vocals especially sounded more lively and present.

 

For treble, the WS99 retains a nice top-end sparkle that is not as prominent on the M-100. Both will be classified as generally warm cans, but the M-100 has a tendency to sound a little dark at times.

 

Overall, I would say the WS99 is a relatively balanced can that has nice extension and presence on both ends of the spectrum without sacrificing on the mid-range. The M-100 on the other hand is definitely more v-shaped, with boosted bass and slightly extended treble.

 

In conclusion, I ended up getting the M-100, as it sounds much better with EDM than the WS99. The detail and bass on this can is quite impressive. L3000.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post

Where in the world does one have to live in order to have the luxury to be able to demo both a M100 and ATH-WS99. I would be happy to find even much more popular headphones.

 

Here in Singapore, we have a few shops that sell a wide range of headphones. Yeah, I would consider myself lucky to be able to audition some of these cans. Anyway, I usually visit them once a fortnight (or more), and if you need any impressions on any cans, feel free to ask. smile.gif

post #100 of 1724

Sounds like WS99 would be a better fit for me then and I listen primarily to EDM too but I don't like V-shape sound and more forward mids compared to M100 would probably be very welcome to me. The ZO amp takes care of any lack of bass. Thanks for the comparison!


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 2/12/13 at 11:50am
post #101 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post

 

Well yea same here minus Beats, they don't carry Beats around here in Finland all that much, it's mostly Skullcandy, more Skullcandy, some lowend Sony and Philips headphones and of course (which isn't that bad option really but yea the sight of them bores me as they are everywhere both in shops and on the streets and I call them the Finnish style Beats headphones; the Koss Porta Pro. That covers about 90% headphone inventory here, I remember I was even somewhat excited seeing XB500 in a shop! xD These days they just carry some leftover XB300 stock though.

 

lol, yea i saw some guy wearing audio technicas of some sort while staring out the train window and i actually felt relieved tongue_smile.gif 

although to be fair, one does see some k181s here and there...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malevolent View Post

 

Had a listening session with the M-100 and the WS99 today. I wish I could spend more time with them, but my wife was around, and its never to good to keep her waiting. At least she auditioned the cans with me too. biggrin.gif

 

Anyway, I listened to them for about 20 mins from an Android phone with Poweramp (with and without EQ), and I came off quite impressed by the sound of both cans.

 

For bass presentation, the M-100 is both bassier and boomier than the WS99. The latter sounds something like a WS55 with slightly boosted bass levels - the bass was punchy, and has good detail. The M-100 on the other hand had more rumble and greater mid-bass quantity. The texture of the bass on the WS99 is a little sharper with slighly less decay.

 

In the midrange, the M-100 sounds quite recessed when compared to the WS99. The Audio-Technica had quite forward mids relative to the M-100, and vocals especially sounded more lively and present.

 

For treble, the WS99 retains a nice top-end sparkle that is not as prominent on the M-100. Both will be classified as generally warm cans, but the M-100 has a tendency to sound a little dark at times.

 

Overall, I would say the WS99 is a relatively balanced can that has nice extension and presence on both ends of the spectrum without sacrificing on the mid-range. The M-100 on the other hand is definitely more v-shaped, with boosted bass and slightly extended treble.

 

In conclusion, I ended up getting the M-100, as it sounds much better with EDM than the WS99. The detail and bass on this can is quite impressive. L3000.gif

 

 

Here in Singapore, we have a few shops that sell a wide range of headphones. Yeah, I would consider myself lucky to be able to audition some of these cans. Anyway, I usually visit them once a fortnight (or more), and if you need any impressions on any cans, feel free to ask. smile.gif

yea the m-100 sound about right for EDM, i think ill still wait around abit for some more impressions before changing my mind about them and getting the ATs though.

thank you very very much for your impressions, which can has more sub-bass detail in your opinion? which one has more sub-bass quantity? you say the ATs are brighter than the m-100, do you know how bright they are in comparison to dt 770s (250)?

post #102 of 1724
I feel for you guys. I go to Japan for 2 months every summer, and I can't wait to go there every year to listen to headphones. For the 10 other months of the year, I am stuck in the US where all there is is best buy. The only testable headphones best buy has are beats and a couple other crappy headphones. It makes me so sad to see not even one decent pair of headphones sold in stores. When I go to Japan during the summertime, I just go into Yodobashi (basically a Japanese best buy, but with tons of choices in headphones cameras, computers. and basically every electronics conceivable.) the great thing is that you can sample every single headphone with your own gear! I tested stuff from HD 700 to CKM500 in the shop last year. It's really unfortunate that stores in Europe and the US don't have much choice in audio gear. I could literally sleep inside Yodobashi for days and I would be the happiest man alive.
post #103 of 1724
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malevolent View Post

...
Anyway, I listened to them for about 20 mins from an Android phone

...

For bass presentation, the M-100 is both bassier and boomier than the WS99. The latter sounds something like a WS55 with slightly boosted bass levels - the bass was punchy, and has good detail. The M-100 on the other hand had more rumble and greater mid-bass quantity. The texture of the bass on the WS99 is a little sharper with slighly less decay.

 

Wait a minute, Dsnuts already mentioned that the WS99 needs an amp in this regard. Not to the point that it gets boomy though, i would think. Why would anyone want a $300 boomy headphone anyway. rolleyes.gif

post #104 of 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by YodobashiCamera View Post

I could literally sleep inside Yodobashi for days and I would be the happiest man alive.

 

LOL, same man, same. I have a very good idea about what I truly like, what kind of sound characteristics I'm looking for but I love to demo very very different headphones though out of curiousity and can enjoy different things that the headphones do well at. I was at the capital of Finland this autumn and there I managed to find a few headphones to demo actually and well I got to test headphones; Sennheiser Momentum, Sennheiser HD25-II and HD598 and AKG K272 HD and I spent probably a good 20 min alone enjoying the sound of the only 129 EUR AKG K272 HD and HD598 because it was so different compared to what I'm used to. I'm a basshead but I really enjoyed the soundstage, mids and airy highs of HD598 and same about the AKGs and felt soundstage was really airy and large for a closed headphone and the mids very quite beautiful. I almost ended up getting the AKGs as for the price of 129 EUR since I hadn't believed I'd enjoy such a basshy headphone so much. Suprisingly though I didn't like the Momentums AT ALL but I believe it was the case of cable issue that's been explained in the Momentum thread too as noway I could believe a headphone at that price sounding so bad, the AKGs and HD25 sounded much more high quality in comparision.


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 2/12/13 at 12:45pm
post #105 of 1724
Thread Starter 

This in one guys should be looking at. I also own the AD900X. These things.

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.||B2||T0JKX0lEPTVjYTFhYjFlYTE1YTAyYTkwNTBlNDNmOGExY2VhMTA1MGY5Njg4ZDVmMzBjfHxTRUxMRVJfTkFNRT1idXlmcm9tamFwYW58fE9SSUdJTkFMX0VCQVlfUVVBTElUWV9TQ09SRT00fHxDUkVBVElPTl9EQVRFPTIvMTEvMTMgNjowNCBQTQ==

These things have the widest stage of any headphone I own. The air in the sounds is one of a kind..It is nice to have a change of sound from closed stuff all the time..Imo I think everyone should own at least one great open can.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The NEW WS99/WS77 PG 57..