Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The NEW WS99/WS77 PG 57..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The NEW WS99/WS77 PG 57.. - Page 89

post #1321 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post

 

:DDDDD

....With the XB500....

I think that would be able to blur the vision. lol I did test XB500 out of curiousity with 2x ZOs once and fired up a song with 25-50Hz or so bass and at some points it like slides the bass shortly up to like 100Hz and I almost felt nausea and this was at volume levels when mids and highs were very low like a few % volume on the source only.

the ws99's have more bass than the q40's by a long shot, they also sound much better overall.

post #1322 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by ati832 View Post

the ws99's have more bass than the q40's by a long shot, they also sound much better overall.

 

lol ok now I'm pretty sure you have a defective pair of Q40. WS99 does NOT have more bass than the Q40. Better quality bass, yes, but more quantity, no.
post #1323 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by ati832 View Post

the ws99's have more bass than the q40's by a long shot, they also sound much better overall.

 

I agree with the second part, but no way on the first part.  The 99s are much tamer with regards to bass...both sub and mid bass.  At least w/ my setup (iPod Touch 5g through a Fiio e12).  The Q40s hit quite a bit harder and lower if pushed.  If you remove the amp, it's an even bigger discrepancy. The 99s are better textured and probably much more accurate, but that's not what you're arguing.

 

Edit: Blueangel beat me to it.  Must be defective, because there is just no way that's true.


Edited by dbdynsty25 - 6/28/13 at 9:45am
post #1324 of 1675

holy crap the ws99's have loads more bass when amped the ws99's rattle your head when I talk about bass I mean the impact of the bass, the q40's have no neat the impact the ws99's have.

post #1325 of 1675
Or the seal is off.
post #1326 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post

 

lol ok now I'm pretty sure you have a defective pair of Q40. WS99 does NOT have more bass than the Q40. Better quality bass, yes, but more quantity, no.

quantity wise the ws99 has more, quality wise id give it to the q40's.

post #1327 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by ati832 View Post

quantity wise the ws99 has more, quality wise id give it to the q40's.

 

:S
post #1328 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by ati832 View Post

quantity wise the ws99 has more, quality wise id give it to the q40's.

 

You sure you don't have the headphones confused?  You're completely backwards.

post #1329 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdynsty25 View Post

 

Wow, that is a LOT of bass.  The Q40s straight out of my iPod Touch/iPad was just about perfect...any more and it would be too much.  You're talking about double amping w/ ZOs, lol...wow.

 

Yes, RPGWiZaRD (bless his foobar2000 dolby headphone config soul!) takes "Basshead" to a whole new level I think! biggrin.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdynsty25 View Post

 

You sure you don't have the headphones confused?  You're completely backwards.

 

I've never heard the Q40's, but from everything I have read, it definitely sounds backwards!

post #1330 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post

 

Yes, RPGWiZaRD (bless his foobar2000 dolby headphone config soul!) takes "Basshead" to a whole new level I think! biggrin.gif

 

It's all down to personal taste buddy ;) I even master hardstyle tracks for newcomers and come most of the time very close to professionally mastered companies masterings in quality (good equipment isn't a substitute for experienced ears). That I prefer boosted bass doesn't make me less experienced in interpreting sound. :)

 

I suppose it's more uncommon for a more "extreme basshead" to know all about these things but I've already went through the "aha"-experience sound quality wise and I just still reach for that extra bass, it just appeals my senses but SQ still appeals to me just as much, I'm trying to find the holy grail in quantity bass vs overall quality.

 

I know I'm a bit weirdo for liking that eccentric music style Hardstyle which is far from the typical audiophile genres while actually having a great deal of knowledge about sound and being an extreme basshead on top of that. Not many ppl like that around. xD Oh and sound psychology also interests me quite a bit, you know why certain people hear like this and that or why does this and that appeal to this and that person etc.


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 6/28/13 at 12:24pm
post #1331 of 1675

^ Just teasing RPG!  I respect you. You know a heck of a lot more about sound than I do. And, you like your bass!

beerchug.gif

post #1332 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post

 

It's all down to personal taste buddy ;) I even master hardstyle tracks for newcomers and come most of the time very close to professionally mastered companies masterings in quality (good equipment isn't a substitute for experienced ears). That I prefer boosted bass doesn't make me less experienced in interpreting sound. :)

 

I suppose it's more uncommon for a more "extreme basshead" to know all about these things but I've already went through the "aha"-experience sound quality wise and I just still reach for that extra bass, it just appeals my senses but SQ still appeals to me just as much, I'm trying to find the holy grail in quantity bass vs overall quality.

 

I know I'm a bit weirdo for liking that eccentric music style Hardstyle which is far from the typical audiophile genres while actually having a great deal of knowledge about sound and being an extreme basshead on top of that. Not many ppl like that around. xD Oh and sound psychology also interests me quite a bit, you know why certain people hear like this and that or why does this and that appeal to this and that person etc.

 

They always say mix/master on neutral gear, but that's a bit misguided as it comes from people who know what they're talking about, i.e. professionals who are used to neutral gear. You should mix/master with whatever gear/headphones YOU and your ears are used to. If you're used to bassy headphones, suddenly trying to mix with neutral headphones would result in a very bassy mix, and vice versa.
post #1333 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post

lol ok now I'm pretty sure you have a defective pair of Q40. WS99 does NOT have more bass than the Q40. Better quality bass, yes, but more quantity, no.

Ditto X100
post #1334 of 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post

 

They always say mix/master on neutral gear, but that's a bit misguided as it comes from people who know what they're talking about, i.e. professionals who are used to neutral gear. You should mix/master with whatever gear/headphones YOU and your ears are used to. If you're used to bassy headphones, suddenly trying to mix with neutral headphones would result in a very bassy mix, and vice versa.


^ THIS. Heck I wouldn't be able to master as nicely if I swapped to any other headphone besides Q40 for at least a little while. Why? Because this is how I work, I've listened to lots and lots of retail hardstyle tracks, I know very well now how those sounds like ON THESE headphones and I simply tweak my masterings to sound in-line with the average retail hardstyle track when it comes to how much high frequencies it should have or how loud the bass should be etc. Therefore I eliminate the need of "neutral gear". If bass is "over-the-top" on retail tracks obviously my masterings should also have "over-the-top" bass. So my method is like the golden middlepath rule where the "average retail track" = truth. I mean it's quite logical that if you take all tracks that are mastered by professional studios and take the average result out of those, that should work best for the biggest amount people as I trust these people they do their thing right (and well the buyers would also complain if it didn't sound good too so I assume they actually do a great job) why I can take the "average retail hardstyle track" as reference for my mastering. Of course then you will need some experience to get it to sound like that obviously but that's different story.


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 6/28/13 at 1:44pm
post #1335 of 1675

Hey guys, I'm considering upgrading from my Creative Aurvana Lives to the WS99. Would this be a good upgrade and worth the money?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The NEW WS99/WS77 PG 57..