Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II - Page 60

post #886 of 3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisLoh View Post
 

 

TBH, most of us do not know that much more than the average consumer. 

 

Do we know the profit margins for high-end headphones, and base our decisions and valuations on them, or do we blindly follow manufacturer claims and marketing ploys? 

 

Are we really that much more informed than the 'average consumer' we so often make fun of? Or do we just belong to a niche, but are equally clueless.

 

I can tell you that for instance the Audio Technica Corp. lost money on the best headphones they ever made, the limited edition ATH-W3000ANV. There were only 2000 plus a few of them made and sold. By my estimate the company took only between 1.2 and 1.4 million dollars from the sales, not enough even to cover the cost of the development of these headphones and on top of that there were the costs of the materials, of the manufacturing of the parts and of the assembly. Plus the 'overhead' costs. Audio Technica took a financial hit with W3000ANV.

If I were at the time the president of the Audio Technica Corp. I would had ordered these headphones to be sold for at least 3000 dollars, just to cover the costs. Two years ago in the USA these headphones were being sold for 1000 dollars. How could one had explained to a typical semi-idiot inhabitant of unsophisticated McAmerica, who thinks that a 20 dollars drugstore 'headphones' are as good sonically as a technological state of the art headphones costing 1000 dollars plus and who thinks that a pair of headphones should not cost more than 50 dollars, how could one had explained to a primitive that selling W3000ANV for 1000 dollars was not a price gouging but the opposite, a money losing suicidal marketing move ?

 

 


Edited by zorin - 9/12/13 at 10:58pm
post #887 of 3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorin View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisLoh View Post
 

 

TBH, most of us do not know that much more than the average consumer. 

 

Do we know the profit margins for high-end headphones, and base our decisions and valuations on them, or do we blindly follow manufacturer claims and marketing ploys? 

 

Are we really that much more informed than the 'average consumer' we so often make fun of? Or do we just belong to a niche, but are equally clueless.

Do we know the profit margins for high-end headphones, and base our decisions and valuations on them, or do we blindly follow manufacturer claims and marketing ploys?

 

I can tell you that for instance Audio-Technica Corp. lost money on the best headphones it ever made, the limited edition ATH-W3000ANV. There were only 2000 plus a few of them made. By my estimate Audio-Technica made between 1.2 and 1.4 million dollars from the sales, not even enough to cover the cost of the development of these headphones. On top of it there was the cost of the materials and of the manufacturing of the parts and of the assembly. The company took a financial hit on W3000ANV. 

 

Some dealers sold them for around $999 at some point, so we can safely assume that Audio Technica probably sold each unit to dealers for a good amount less than that.

post #888 of 3952
 
Originally Posted by DarKen23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by penmarker View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan7000 View Post

10 years ago, a beautiful woman that I had never spoken to walked by as I was softly humming the tune to Karma Police. After walking past me, she turned her head for a second to say "Radiohead." She is now my wife.


Good luck, I'm rooting for you.

I'll print this quote and put it in my wallet to remind me every time I doubt myself.
Never mind that. Where's the pic.




Lol, tongue.gifQuote:

Sorry guys.

 

Talked with my friend and slipped some not-too-discrete questions about her. She giggled and entertained me anyway and told me that she's someone else's girlfriend, and she's a year older than me. lol.

It's alright I guess.

 

Anyway I let my friend try out my desktop rig when some of them came over to do their project. I didn't disclose the price for obvious reasons, but the reactions were very good.

post #889 of 3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by penmarker View Post
 

Sorry guys.

 

Talked with my friend and slipped some not-too-discrete questions about her. She giggled and entertained me anyway and told me that she's someone else's girlfriend, and she's a year older than me. lol.

It's alright I guess.

 

Anyway I let my friend try out my desktop rig when some of them came over to do their project. I didn't disclose the price for obvious reasons, but the reactions were very good.

Don't give up, the right music-lover is out there looking for you, just like you're looking for her ;)

post #890 of 3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by penmarker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKen23 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by penmarker View Post

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan7000 View Post

10 years ago, a beautiful woman that I had never spoken to walked by as I was softly humming the tune to Karma Police. After walking past me, she turned her head for a second to say "Radiohead." She is now my wife.



Good luck, I'm rooting for you.


I'll print this quote and put it in my wallet to remind me every time I doubt myself.
Never mind that. Where's the pic.





Lol, tongue.gif Quote:
Sorry guys.

Talked with my friend and slipped some not-too-discrete questions about her. She giggled and entertained me anyway and told me that she's someone else's girlfriend, and she's a year older than me. lol.
It's alright I guess.

Anyway I let my friend try out my desktop rig when some of them came over to do their project. I didn't disclose the price for obvious reasons, but the reactions were very good.
No apology needed champ. Dont let her "not single" status stop you, roll it like youd roll tubes.
post #891 of 3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKen23 View Post

No apology needed champ. Dont let her "not single" status stop you, roll it like youd roll tubes.
+1 If you like her continue to talk to her. It's very possible you two are a better match than her and her current boyfriend.
post #892 of 3952

My non-audiophile friends reactions to high end headphones, "they cost how much!" :rolleyes:

post #893 of 3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcandmar View Post

My non-audiophile friends reactions to high end headphones, "they cost how much!" rolleyes.gif
I prefer not to disclose those deadhorse.gif
post #894 of 3952

Again, don't disclose for obvious reasons. lol.

 

Also, thanks guys.

 

Another guy from my archery class loved headphones compared to speakers too. I had this good budget 2.0 bookshelves, the Edifier R1900T3 but had to sell them along with my desktop for a new laptop because I need to go around for work. Anyway, he prefers headphones over speakers because of the immersive experience. Honestly I prefer speakers of headphones because I love feeling the pressure waves through my body and not just my eardrums. He made some good arguments as to why headphones are better than speakers, I should invite him over for a sessions with my setup soon.

post #895 of 3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by penmarker View Post

Again, don't disclose for obvious reasons. lol.

Also, thanks guys.

Another guy from my archery class loved headphones compared to speakers too. I had this good budget 2.0 bookshelves, the Edifier R1900T3 but had to sell them along with my desktop for a new laptop because I need to go around for work. Anyway, he prefers headphones over speakers because of the immersive experience. Honestly I prefer speakers of headphones because I love feeling the pressure waves through my body and not just my eardrums. He made some good arguments as to why headphones are better than speakers, I should invite him over for a sessions with my setup soon.
Archery... So youve got cupid's blood.

Jokes aside. Some will prefer one over the other and vise versa. For me, when Im home after a long days of work, theres nothing better than placing my HD800 over my head, putting my feet up, and hitting I> on the JRemote.
Edited by DarKen23 - 9/14/13 at 1:47am
post #896 of 3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckle490 View Post


+1 If you like her continue to talk to her. It's very possible you two are a better match than her and her current boyfriend.

 

Yeah, ask her if her boyfriend is the love of her life and if she can picture being together with him the rest of her life. If her answer to that isn't a resounding yes, watch the relationship crumble... then pick up the pieces ;) (or is that mean?)

:veryevil:

post #897 of 3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfly View Post
 

 

Yeah, ask her if her boyfriend is the love of her life and if she can picture being together with him the rest of her life. If her answer to that isn't a resounding yes, watch the relationship crumble... then pick up the pieces ;) (or is that mean?)

:veryevil:

 

Nah, it's just doing a reality check and making the most of it. ;) 

post #898 of 3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetdragon View Post

Nah, it's just doing a reality check and making the most of it. wink.gif  

rolleyes.gif
post #899 of 3952
Go to headfi, it's the solution to all your problemS entertment, hobby, friendship, and even relationship, CHECK tongue.gif
Edited by soundeffect - 9/20/13 at 7:44am
post #900 of 3952
Yuin Pk1 + Meridian Explorer + Audirvana playing 24/192s


reactions:
1. "What the hell?"
2. "Ohhhhhh man that is tight! you can hear the... ohhh maaaan..."
3. "That sounds better than beats!"

etc etc. fool em with a pretty normal looking earbud that delivers beautiful sound smily_headphones1.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II