Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II - Page 55

post #811 of 4534
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post

Hehe, that's brilliant!


Not really, I've yet to disclose the cost of my HD800s (which I got at dealer cost) to my wife and she is loath to try them on. She refuses to appeal my my high end endevour even though she is a music junkie..... well close to it. Then there is the Lyr, the bifrost, the upgrades, the xda-2, the tweaks, the tubes......the DM603s... ugh, it goes on.
post #812 of 4534
LOL.
post #813 of 4534

In July last year I had my (at the time) setup of a SR225i running from a Little Dot 1+, and had some friends over for my birthday and thought I'd show them. Most of my friends are into tech, though whilst not into audio I still think having your interest in computers and other gadgets leaves you way more receptive to audio than your typical beats users. So anyway, I played some Canvas Solaris and handed the Grados around to two of my friends. My first friend was more interested in the amplifier, and seemed to have the idea stuck in your head that it was there to make them go louder, and of course immediately turned them up to 1 o'clock for a few seconds before I quickly put it back to 9. My second friend just listened intently, and after taking them off said "They sound so good!". I also had to explain why they leaked noise so much, and the performance benefits of open headphones. But, overall, they seemed to think it all made sense.

 

Sure is nice having friends who aren't stupid.

post #814 of 4534

I've had plenty of experience with people who can't get past the amp and give a good listen to the headphones. I think the biggest attention-getting was my trusty old CMoy, but a lot of the bulky high-end portable setups (a la HP-P1) or dedicated players (DX100, HM-801) get a lot of looks as well.

post #815 of 4534
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeretixAevum View Post
 

In July last year I had my (at the time) setup of a SR225i running from a Little Dot 1+, and had some friends over for my birthday and thought I'd show them. Most of my friends are into tech, though whilst not into audio I still think having your interest in computers and other gadgets leaves you way more receptive to audio than your typical beats users. So anyway, I played some Canvas Solaris and handed the Grados around to two of my friends. My first friend was more interested in the amplifier, and seemed to have the idea stuck in your head that it was there to make them go louder, and of course immediately turned them up to 1 o'clock for a few seconds before I quickly put it back to 9. My second friend just listened intently, and after taking them off said "They sound so good!". I also had to explain why they leaked noise so much, and the performance benefits of open headphones. But, overall, they seemed to think it all made sense.

 

Sure is nice having friends who aren't stupid.

I would had smacked that friend for raising the amp that high.

post #816 of 4534

I just let one of my younger brother listen to the HE500 setup of mine last week, after listening to 3 songs he took off the headphone with a wide open eyes look, nodded up and down, and said "I think I like this more then then having a lot of bass. What brand of headphone is this?"  I told him "you won't recognize it, it's not your typical in-store headphones." :wink_face: 

post #817 of 4534
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeffect View Post
 

I just let one of my younger brother listen to the HE500 setup of mine last week, after listening to 3 songs he took off the headphone with a wide open eyes look, nodded up and down, and said "I think I like this more then then having a lot of bass. What brand of headphone is this?"  I told him "you won't recognize it, it's not your typical in-store headphones." :wink_face: 

Very, very promising!

post #818 of 4534
Yeah I'm not going to lie I get nervous showing people my headphones, to me it's an undiscovered world not like car system or home theatre's. I usually just keep it to myself. He happen to saw my lyr and ask what it was, so I showed.
post #819 of 4534
Quote:
Originally Posted by genclaymore View Post
 

I would had smacked that friend for raising the amp that high.

 

Gave my friend a quick listen to my ATH-ESW9 with portable amp few years ago, and he crank up the volume like mad. Then he said, this headphone can go loud enough.

 

LOL

post #820 of 4534
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivergeUnify View Post


My mom couldn' see how my HD650s amped were any better than a $20 pair of HP speakers 


 




That would be true if she experienced hearing these $20+ headphones somewhere...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-jvc-ha-s500-appreciation-fan-thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/626332/the-new-jvc-ha-s400-affordable-carbon-nanotube-cans-for-the-masses
post #821 of 4534

My Westone 3 was broken two years ago by a friend who cranked a portable amp up all the way.

post #822 of 4534
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrock64 View Post
 

My Westone 3 was broken two years ago by a friend who cranked a portable amp up all the way.

Did he destroy his eardrums?

post #823 of 4534
Quote:
Originally Posted by semaj8james View Post
 

Did he destroy his eardrums?

They're long-gone already. He's the type to blast music wherever he goes.

post #824 of 4534
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrock64 View Post
 

They're long-gone already. He's the type to blast music wherever he goes.

Too many of my friends frequently ask about how loud my headphones go, instead of the quality. Disappointing for me to hear that.

post #825 of 4534
Quote:
Originally Posted by semaj8james View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrock64 View Post

 
They're long-gone already. He's the type to blast music wherever he goes.
Too many of my friends frequently ask about how loud my headphones go, instead of the quality. Disappointing for me to hear that.
Interesting you say that, many of my friends ask the same question rather than acknowledging the quality
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II