Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II - Page 41

post #601 of 3757
My dad was a bit of an audiophiles with his speakers before I came around xD
I didn't even know until I told him about ssi and he told me about the speaker system in the basement xD
post #602 of 3757

A friend of mine is shopping for a stereo system - she was at my place last week and wanted to listen to my stereo to hear what a half-decent rig sounds like.  She thought my bookshelf speakers sounded good, but given her budget I advised her to get floorsanders to get better bass.  We were listening to the opening of Bach's St. John's Passion, full of yummy contrabassoon in Harnoncourt's rendering.

 

"But these sound good enough."

 

"Try this and hear what you're missing," as I put my HD-600s on her head.

 

"... Oh.  I want these."

post #603 of 3757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirious Lab View Post

A friend of mine is shopping for a stereo system - she was at my place last week and wanted to listen to my stereo to hear what a half-decent rig sounds like.  She thought my bookshelf speakers sounded good, but given her budget I advised her to get floorsanders to get better bass.  We were listening to the opening of Bach's St. John's Passion, full of yummy contrabassoon in Harnoncourt's rendering.

 

"But these sound good enough."

 

"Try this and hear what you're missing," as I put my HD-600s on her head.

 

"... Oh.  I want these."

biggrin.gifbeerchug.gif

post #604 of 3757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winegums View Post

Yesterday I was on a company field trip with 4 other coworkers and I mentioned that I'm getting a set of JH16's. When the conversation got to the price $1200 they all looked at me like I was crazy. One even said it was a waste of money and countered with saying iPod ear buds are good enough. I tried to explain the differences in sound quality but he just didn't understand.

 

I've found that Audio parallels the Automotive market. Some people want an low cost cheap A to B car, some want a exotic sports car, some want a bit of style and flare but nothing too fancy. It's the same with audio, some people are okay with iPod ear buds and think Audiophiles are crazy for wanting the exotic high end models.

 

I'm starting to wonder if there's a physical difference in peoples ears that makes them audiophiles? Can an Audiophile hear a greater spectrum of sounds like dog being able to pick out a specific scent?

I think on some physical or emotional level audiophiles are a different breed.  Music and sound mean more to us. I recently posted on my professional website forum lounge if there were any other audiophiles out there and then posted my portable rig, knowing that no else except audiophiles would have any idea what the abbreviations meant. One person posted the T1 price, then all hell broke loose, multiple well paid professionals questioned my sanity, bragging how they love their Apple buds, and wouldn't pay more than $30 for HP's.  Thankfully one person posted their own gear and how they loved their professionally molded JH Audio IEM.  Well at least there was one who understood.beyersmile.png


Edited by RUMAY408 - 7/18/13 at 4:38am
post #605 of 3757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winegums View Post

Yesterday I was on a company field trip with 4 other coworkers and I mentioned that I'm getting a set of JH16's. When the conversation got to the price $1200 they all looked at me like I was crazy. One even said it was a waste of money and countered with saying iPod ear buds are good enough. I tried to explain the differences in sound quality but he just didn't understand.

 

I've found that Audio parallels the Automotive market. Some people want an low cost cheap A to B car, some want a exotic sports car, some want a bit of style and flare but nothing too fancy. It's the same with audio, some people are okay with iPod ear buds and think Audiophiles are crazy for wanting the exotic high end models.

 

I'm starting to wonder if there's a physical difference in peoples ears that makes them audiophiles? Can an Audiophile hear a greater spectrum of sounds like dog being able to pick out a specific scent?

 

Personally i think that most people just have not heard a good setup in general so they assume it is ridiculous right off the bat. Why would apple buds sound that much different from a high end rig? i feel like is the attitude they may have. This conception i feel like is because most people hear audio from various speakers, headphones, and buds but they're just all bad so they assume all music sounds that way or similar. I also have friends that equate better music with louder volume or bigger bass. When i mention detail they give me blank stares. I will never forget the time where i told my friend "you should consider getting some good headphone" and he told me "but i don't like to listen to music loud"

 

Almost always when i have my non-audiofile friends that live on apple buds listen to a good set up they will always state how amazing it sounds. Of course if you ask them "is it worth it?" they will say "no" most of the time. once they listen they will acknowledge that it is not a complete waste of money even though its not worth it to them. (fair enough) I liked your analogy with a automotive market but in the similar sense its like everyone agrees that a lambourgini is a pretty awsome car but not everyone would think its worth it (if they could afford one). And like high end cars personal preference matters alot when you choose what to buy. The only difference with headphones is you have to listen to the headphones to realize its greatness which most people haven't. If you listened to a high end rig for atleast a few hours (but most of the times takes few minutes to have them see your way) with your favorite song but still think that the apple buds are just as good then good for you but i feel like this won't be the case in the vast majority.


Edited by meyner - 7/17/13 at 8:02pm
post #606 of 3757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirious Lab View Post

A friend of mine is shopping for a stereo system - she was at my place last week and wanted to listen to my stereo to hear what a half-decent rig sounds like.  She thought my bookshelf speakers sounded good, but given her budget I advised her to get floorsanders to get better bass.  We were listening to the opening of Bach's St. John's Passion, full of yummy contrabassoon in Harnoncourt's rendering.

 

"But these sound good enough."

 

"Try this and hear what you're missing," as I put my HD-600s on her head.

 

"... Oh.  I want these."

In the famous words of M. Bison: "YES! YES!"

 

beerchug.gif

post #607 of 3757
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUMAY408 View Post
One person posted the T1 price, then all hell broke loose, multiple well paid professionals questioned my sanity, bragging how they love their Apple buds, and wouldn't pay more than $30 for HP's.  Thankfully one person posted that their own gear and how loved their professionally molded JH Audio IEM.  Well at least there was one who understood.beyersmile.png

Audiophiles need to stick together!atsmile.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyner View Post

I liked your analogy with a automotive market but in the similar sense its like everyone agrees that a lambourgini is a pretty awsome car but not everyone would think its worth it (if they could afford one). And like high end cars personal preference matters alot when you choose what to buy.

My problem with ordering my JH16's is that I had no way of doing a "test drive" so I ordered them blind. All I had was other peoples opinions and words on how they sound, so I'm eager to hear for myself when they arrive.


 

When I was thinking of buying my JH16's I asked my coworker, "How can I justify spending $1200 on headphones?" 

He asked in return," how long does it take you to make 1200?"

I said,"a week and half"

"Are they worth a week and a half of work to you?"

And I thought about it and said ,"yeah they are."

He said "there you go, you solved your own question."

 

He didn't even flinch at the thought of someone spending that much on audio equipment. Guess there's a neutral ground between those opposed and those for hi end audio.

post #608 of 3757
Once people realize that it's a hobby like anything else they might be interested in and spend money on, they realize that for us this is normal.
post #609 of 3757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winegums View Post

My problem with ordering my JH16's is that I had no way of doing a "test drive" so I ordered them blind. All I had was other peoples opinions and words on how they sound, so I'm eager to hear for myself when they arrive.

 

That is actually a big problem i had myself for a long time. But if you buy it brand new there are places that has good return policies. So its basically like you can try and if you don't like them you can return them. Plus i am not sure where you live but you may be on the look out to see if there is any headfi meets near by. Lastly you may want to look for a audiostore that has a lot of audits. Unfortunately if you don't live close to a big city the last two options will probabily fall through. (unless you want to travel)

post #610 of 3757
Quote:
Originally Posted by meyner View Post

 

That is actually a big problem i had myself for a long time. But if you buy it brand new there are places that has good return policies. So its basically like you can try and if you don't like them you can return them. Plus i am not sure where you live but you may be on the look out to see if there is any headfi meets near by. Lastly you may want to look for a audiostore that has a lot of audits. Unfortunately if you don't live close to a big city the last two options will probabily fall through. (unless you want to travel)

that works for over-ear headphones and universal fits, but for custom fit IEMs like the JH16 its a bit hard to try


Edited by Jd007 - 7/17/13 at 11:35pm
post #611 of 3757
You pay a price for any addiction.
post #612 of 3757
One time I let my friend listen to my DT880's. At the time I had just gotten them and I was really excited about what my friend thought. I let him scroll through my music library till he found genres he liked. He then played them for a minute or so, took of the headphones, and asked me how much I payed for them. When I told him $280, his eyes widened and he started complaining about how this headphone is not worth it because it doesn't have as much bass as his Sol Republic Tracks (meh). Then while he was holding the headphone in his hand, he noticed that they were leaking a lot. He then looked at me and started whining about how people will start hearing my music and how I can't use them outside. I just stood there, because explaining to him what an open headphone has over a closed one, well he's not going to brainstorm that much information lol. Anyway, sometimes I look at myself and wonder why I have such idiot friends.

Oh, and last week he spent about $500 on some type of Nikon lens, he took a couple of photos and asked me how good they look. I basically gave him the same speech he did to me when trying the 880's xD. We all have different hobbies/interests, and we all think its worth it spending that much money on it. Truth is, nothing is really 'worth it'.
post #613 of 3757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd007 View Post

that works for over-ear headphones and universal fits, but for custom fit IEMs like the JH16 its a bit hard to try


good pt. Did not think of custom IEMs


Edited by meyner - 7/17/13 at 11:07pm
post #614 of 3757
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkonfuzed View Post

One time I let my friend listen to my DT880's. At the time I had just gotten them and I was really excited about what my friend thought. I let him scroll through my music library till he found genres he liked. He then played them for a minute or so, took of the headphones, and asked me how much I payed for them. When I told him $280, his eyes widened and he started complaining about how this headphone is not worth it because it doesn't have as much bass as his Sol Republic Tracks (meh). Then while he was holding the headphone in his hand, he noticed that they were leaking a lot. He then looked at me and started whining about how people will start hearing my music and how I can't use them outside. I just stood there, because explaining to him what an open headphone has over a closed one, well he's not going to brainstorm that much information lol. Anyway, sometimes I look at myself and wonder why I have such idiot friends.

Oh, and last week he spent about $500 on some type of Nikon lens, he took a couple of photos and asked me how good they look. I basically gave him the same speech he did to me when trying the 880's xD. We all have different hobbies/interests, and we all think its worth it spending that much money on it. Truth is, nothing is really 'worth it'.

+1.

   But wait, does that mean life isn't worth it even if we think it is?

post #615 of 3757
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBeatsguy View Post

+1.
   But wait, does that mean life isn't worth it even if we think it is?
Life is free, so therefore it is definitely worth it tongue.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II