Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II - Page 188

post #2806 of 4014
That's why I don't talk about audio unless someone asked me about it. Fortunately, no one seems interested.
post #2807 of 4014

Yeah. I don't push my stuff on anyone. When they're curious, I let 'em try it, and the reaction is usually pretty muted. Generally it's "yeah that does sound great, I just would never spend that kinda money." Not surprising.

 

To me it's like televisions. I think giant 72" OLED screens are awesome, and if a friend has one I'll enjoy the hell out of it, but there's no way I'm dropping two grand on one. 

post #2808 of 4014
A few of my friends, mostly girls are suddenly interested in my audio gears... And that they wish to try it? @.@
post #2809 of 4014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post

A few of my friends, mostly girls are suddenly interested in my audio gears... And that they wish to try it? @.@
I wish... LOL. I know a few girls that are interested in sound quality, but they either don't have the knowledge (mostly buy Monster headphones like Diamond Tears), or don't have the money (I'm still in high school).

Edit: Actually this one girl at my school has a cover photo on Facebook of an HD800, K1000, and W1000X. It was from a cover photo site though so I think she just looked up "headphone cover" and I've never spoken to her. I like had to double take though wink.gif.
Edited by ToddTheMetalGod - 4/24/14 at 8:17pm
post #2810 of 4014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post

A few of my friends, mostly girls are suddenly interested in my audio gears... And that they wish to try it? @.@

You got a really awesome success story right there, Billson. I'd love to hear your secret, whatever that may be. ;)

post #2811 of 4014
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBeatsguy View Post

You got a really awesome success story right there, Billson. I'd love to hear your secret, whatever that may be. wink.gif

No one knows I'm an "audiophile" except for a limited number of close friends. Not even my special person knows xD all they know is, I spent lots of time and money on audio gears and I talk about it a lot. I was talking about audio as usual and then a random girl (my classmate) cramped in and suggested me to go for business studies instead or something like that. I was telling her and at the same time, trying to keep calm and said that I very much prefer audio and that she should maybe let me decide myself. After some chatting, a few more joined and started talking about it. They said something that offended me a little by accident and so I said "I am an audiophile" which freaks them out as I am a horrible English student to their mind and "audiophile" freaks them out.

My friend who knows that I'm an audiophile showed them my "Golden Ears" by Philips challenge record which I have completed and a few of my reviews. They somehow got interested in it and wish to drop by at my house one of them even asked for my address.

SO BRACE YOURSELF! NEW HEADFIER COMING biggrin.gifhopefully...
post #2812 of 4014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post


No one knows I'm an "audiophile" except for a limited number of close friends. Not even my special person knows xD all they know is, I spent lots of time and money on audio gears and I talk about it a lot. I was talking about audio as usual and then a random girl (my classmate) cramped in and suggested me to go for business studies instead or something like that. I was telling her and at the same time, trying to keep calm and said that I very much prefer audio and that she should maybe let me decide myself. After some chatting, a few more joined and started talking about it. They said something that offended me a little by accident and so I said "I am an audiophile" which freaks them out as I am a horrible English student to their mind and "audiophile" freaks them out.

My friend who knows that I'm an audiophile showed them my "Golden Ears" by Philips challenge record which I have completed and a few of my reviews. They somehow got interested in it and wish to drop by at my house one of them even asked for my address.

SO BRACE YOURSELF! NEW HEADFIER COMING biggrin.gifhopefully...

The audiophile brainwashing device is doing work...

post #2813 of 4014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketInABucket View Post
 

The audiophile brainwashing device is doing work...

Indeed it is! They are dropping by next week... with my FiiO E07K/E09K shipped out haha 

post #2814 of 4014

Imagine them staring at my DacMagic, V200 and HE-500 rig lol. 

 

And their reaction after finding out how much my cables cost. 

post #2815 of 4014
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin0003 View Post

Imagine them staring at my DacMagic, V200 and HE-500 rig lol. 

And their reaction after finding out how much my cables cost. 

I didn't tell them the REAL price of my headphones, they were all cut down in price vs what. I paid for / original price xD H6 cost USD 390 out of panic, others are all lowered very much haha
post #2816 of 4014

Interesting stories so I'll tell you mine as well!

 

2 years ago when I bought p5s (I had bose ae2 but never liked them), I came back to Greece and I gave these to some of my friends to try them out, they said wowww that's amazing and they were raving , after that there was the question "how much did these cost"? Well. I told them the price I paid and then there was the silence before the outburst :P : "damn, are you crazy?? You tossed so much money on a pair of headphones? Just go to fnac and got yourself one" , somehow they forgot how awesome these sound :P

Recently I bought a pair of w40s and a x5, loaded of my favorite lossless music and went out with a friend of mine while I had this combo in my bag ( which I forgot at the subway, well we don't have subway sandwich but to tell you where we were :P ) and I gave them to her to take a listen, needless to say that she was blown away by these, she loved them and when she asked me about the price she didn't go crazy, I convinced her to enter the head-fi world :D 

 

But I never tell other people the full price I pay for my stuff because I don't want them to think that I'm weird or something :P  

post #2817 of 4014
Quote:
Originally Posted by efib View Post
 

Interesting stories so I'll tell you mine as well!

 

2 years ago when I bought p5s (I had bose ae2 but never liked them), I came back to Greece and I gave these to some of my friends to try them out, they said wowww that's amazing and they were raving , after that there was the question "how much did these cost"? Well. I told them the price I paid and then there was the silence before the outburst :P : "damn, are you crazy?? You tossed so much money on a pair of headphones? Just go to fnac and got yourself one" , somehow they forgot how awesome these sound :P

Recently I bought a pair of w40s and a x5, loaded of my favorite lossless music and went out with a friend of mine while I had this combo in my bag ( which I forgot at the subway, well we don't have subway sandwich but to tell you where we were :P ) and I gave them to her to take a listen, needless to say that she was blown away by these, she loved them and when she asked me about the price she didn't go crazy, I convinced her to enter the head-fi world :D 

 

But I never tell other people the full price I pay for my stuff because I don't want them to think that I'm weird or something :P  

Well, you can tell, but I can't! I am still a student so they will freak out if I tell them my total audio rigs cause more than a decent smartphone which is what they are using. 

 

PS: I don't have a phone number of my own as I don't really need one, my friends already though I am weird about this one. 

post #2818 of 4014

My classmate got a shock when i told her how much my w3 cost..

 

Fortunately someone came along and told her how much his watch cost.. :P

post #2819 of 4014

To be honest, I never liked the "how much does it cost" game, I guess in school an expensive watch and/or phone matters but I never liked that thing.

I will not brag about the things I have and start raving about their price, I bought them because these put a smile in my face :)

 

@BillsonChang007 I guess in 2014 a high school student that doesn't own a phone it's weird :P


Edited by efib - 4/25/14 at 9:19am
post #2820 of 4014
Loving this thread (as well as the first one before it was locked.

I just recently got into audio stuff (past two-three years) but my father has been a hardcore loudspeaker guy for decades (I grew up on a Vandersteen 3asig and Mcormack DNA250 rig)
One of my friends chastised me after listening to my Audioengine 2s: "stop turning me into an audiophile!" He says!
XD

I recently bought myself some Grado SR325is and a FiiO E18. Stellar rig- played some cheeky binaural stuff for one of my friends and she about had convulsions. When Dr. Chesky whispers right into the mic it's very tactile! I actually attend a very famous music conservatory (and college) so my friends are pretty cool about audio gear: we know what it's supposed to sound like live, so the music becomes that much more enjoyable!
We've actually recorded ourselves in the studios here and played it back on our gear. Super freaky hearing yourself play or talk in high fidelity!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II