or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II - Page 134

post #1996 of 4637

This thing just happend to me: After giving my friend another demo with my Hifiman HE-300 (he really loves them LOL) when I had a break at school, I was walking back to my class room, and I hear two guys behind me say "Wow, this guy is such an attention whore with such big headphones!", when I took a peek behind when they weren't looking(just did like I didn't hear it, I don't give idiots attention ^.^) I saw apple earbuds.. Yeah, and they go all like 'This guy is such an attention whore with such big headphones', in other words, they aren't better than my earbuds (Heard that from the sound of his voice).

 

I had trouble not laughing out loud. I hope I'll see them again next break hehe, haters gonna hate.

post #1997 of 4637
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilspeed111 View Post

when I took a peek behind when they weren't looking(just did like I didn't hear it, I don't give idiots attention ^.^) I saw apple earbuds.. Yeah, and they go all like 'This guy is such an attention whore with such big headphones', in other words, they aren't better than my earbuds

Sadly, average people don't know much about the audio world. 90% of the people at my school use Apple EarPods with the occasional Beats Heaphones and low-end earphones :P I bet that if I brought my Alpha Dogs too school, everyone would be seriously wondering why I need such 'huge' headphones.
post #1998 of 4637
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainHeaven View Post


Sadly, average people don't know much about the audio world. 90% of the people at my school use Apple EarPods with the occasional Beats Heaphones and low-end earphones :P I bet that if I brought my Alpha Dogs too school, everyone would be seriously wondering why I need such 'huge' headphones.

Yeah I love how the beats users, that wear them for attention, don't get called out.

And us people using them for 'legit' use get called out for "Attention whores".

Anyways, if you were in my school and you took them with you, we would be instant best friends no doubt.

post #1999 of 4637
Some of my friends are curious as of why I spend so much on audio that they wish to try it xD some though it is the key for my studies hahahaha
post #2000 of 4637
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilspeed111 View Post
 

Yeah I love how the beats users, that wear them for attention, don't get called out.

And us people using them for 'legit' use get called out for "Attention whores".

Anyways, if you were in my school and you took them with you, we would be instant best friends no doubt.

 

Hahaha :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post

Some of my friends are curious as of why I spend so much on audio that they wish to try it xD some though it is the key for my studies hahahaha

Same here. I have a couple of IEMs and my friends are like 'How many do you have?!' When I get another pair of IEMs pretty soon I'm sure he would think 'Oh he got another pair again...'


Edited by RainHeaven - 3/20/14 at 6:42am
post #2001 of 4637
Speaking of earbuds, my coworker next to me blasts her generic earbuds so loud. It's comparable to how much my open cans leak. Don't people even care about their hearing?
post #2002 of 4637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Za Warudo View Post

Speaking of earbuds, my coworker next to me blasts her generic earbuds so loud. It's comparable to how much my open cans leak. Don't people even care about their hearing?

IMO they care but they probably don't know how xD for sub $20 or so earbuds, the louder you go, the more detail you pick up. At low volume, it is hard to listen to for some. My friend used to turn the volume to max with her earbuds using Sansa Clip and claim that she have hearing loss or "slight deaf" in her language but she said it because she though she listen to music way too much. I said turn the volume and everything is going to be fine. She wasn't even sure how loud is too loud xD so I will have to set a volume limit for her (a fixed volume which she wouldn't change everytime she turn it on). I didn't turn it all the way down immediately for her, I just set it down step by step and asked if she could still hear it clearly all the way down until she said "it's too soft" xD

The point is, some don't understand there is a volume limit, in fact, some doesn't even know the unit for volume is dB

Whenever. I tell my friends I got a new headphone, their reaction would be "AGAINNN?! How much is it this time?"
post #2003 of 4637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Za Warudo View Post

Speaking of earbuds, my coworker next to me blasts her generic earbuds so loud. It's comparable to how much my open cans leak. Don't people even care about their hearing?

I know this feeling, it's really annoying.

I doubt they care about their hearing, otherwise they would buy better earbuds if they cared! Just kidding, I don't think people know how loud they can go, and that the limit of an earbud is also the limit of their ears. They also seem to think 'Louder is better'

post #2004 of 4637
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilspeed111 View Post

I know this feeling, it's really annoying.
I doubt they care about their hearing, otherwise they would buy better earbuds if they cared! Just kidding, I don't think people know how loud they can go, and that the limit of an earbud is also the limit of their ears. They also seem to think 'Louder is better'

There's a difference between hearing protection and hearing joy. Getting better earbuds is for joy, setting lower volume is for hearing protection.

"Louder is better" for some earbuds, is actually true to some people who prefer better details. As the louder you go the more detail you hear. For "audiophiles" it may seems to create distortion already but to them, the distortion may not be audible because
1) they may though it's part of music
2) not everyone is as fortunate as us to listen to such high end headphone that makes distortion obvious on cheap earbuds, yes, we are considered fortunate biggrin.gif
post #2005 of 4637
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post


There's a difference between hearing protection and hearing joy. Getting better earbuds is for joy, setting lower volume is for hearing protection.

"Louder is better" for some earbuds, is actually true to some people who prefer better details. As the louder you go the more detail you hear. For "audiophiles" it may seems to create distortion already but to them, the distortion may not be audible because
1) they may though it's part of music
2) not everyone is as fortunate as us to listen to such high end headphone that makes distortion obvious on cheap earbuds, yes, we are considered fortunate biggrin.gif

Well yeah.. I still have a lot of people listening to my cans and saying 'These suck, they can't even go that loud! (Hifiman HE-300), the beats you have are way better, they can go way louder!'

So that's where I got the idea that people think louder is better.

post #2006 of 4637

I have a friend who listened to my Denon NC732....by no stretch of the imagination a pair of audiophile headphones.

 

After that he bought he asked me where to pair of iems. So i pointed him toward ljokerls iem-bible.

 

He ended up buying a pair of Shure SE215 - mission accomplished!:etysmile:

post #2007 of 4637
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilspeed111 View Post

Well yeah.. I still have a lot of people listening to my cans and saying 'These suck, they can't even go that loud! (Hifiman HE-300), the beats you have are way better, they can go way louder!'
So that's where I got the idea that people think louder is better.

They suffer later xP IMO, just tell them once about how dangerous loud volume is, if they don't listen or ignores, I would just keep my mouth shut about it and let them suffer it xP my classmates never like hearing me telling them how dangerous volume is so they blast the volume in front of me, and now some of them need to sit in front just to listen to the teacher xD
post #2008 of 4637
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post


They suffer later xP IMO, just tell them once about how dangerous loud volume is, if they don't listen or ignores, I would just keep my mouth shut about it and let them suffer it xP my classmates never like hearing me telling them how dangerous volume is so they blast the volume in front of me, and now some of them need to sit in front just to listen to the teacher xD

That's the problem, they don't listen, or go like 'yeah well, your music is also hearable!'. So I try to explain my cans are open-back, and then they go 'Shut the **** up, I don't give a ******* **** about your headset ****' (Yeah, really these terms, my friends are jerks, well, most of them are.). They will suffer later hehehe, when I'm still enjoying my "headset ****".

 

Offtopic:

I'm in an argument with these "friends" at the moment.

A headset, and a headphone, are two different things, right?

As far as I know, headsets are made for gaming, they have multiple drivers, and also have a mic, they're made for gaming and are pretty awful when trying to listen music with them.

Headphones are made for listening to music, no multiple drivers, no mic.

 

Am I right here..?

post #2009 of 4637
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilspeed111 View Post

That's the problem, they don't listen, or go like 'yeah well, your music is also hearable!'. So I try to explain my cans are open-back, and then they go 'Shut the **** up, I don't give a ******* **** about your headset ****' (Yeah, really these terms, my friends are jerks, well, most of them are.). They will suffer later hehehe, when I'm still enjoying my "headset ****".

Offtopic:
I'm in an argument with these "friends" at the moment.
A headset, and a headphone, are two different things, right?
As far as I know, headsets are made for gaming, they have multiple drivers, and also have a mic, they're made for gaming and are pretty awful when trying to listen music with them.
Headphones are made for listening to music, no multiple drivers, no mic.

Am I right here..?
yes and no....

Headsets were originally designed for pilots and the kind and needed extremely good soundquality and good isolation and a exelent fixed mic to talk to the tower..the gaming industry caught that up and started using same principle..hey thats also handy for us gamers..so the headset for gaming industry was introduced.

generally speaking the only difference is that a headset has a mic attached to it..the regular phone does not..

BUT u cant say a headset sounds worse then a regualr headphone as thats not always true..a higher end headset ( like the one i have..the beyer MMX300) from a premium audio brand are also very good in playing music or playing blue ray movies..and not only for gaming (i play FPS)...

But i agree...most of the headsets coming from the dedicated 'game brands' sound not so well audiowise..and are more geared to have the best special effects and surround effect possible.and to pinpoint the enemies perfectly...and thats totally acceptable, as for gaming u need to know where those fragging enemies come from and u dont need to care about the soundtrack in full detail as that will only distract u....and ur ass will be fragged tongue.gif

And the profesional headsets are even MONO..an on,y used for talk and listening to talking..

but some of our well beloved audio brands do have phones dedicated for gaming but do music reproduction acceptable well also...as beyer and sennheiser... Check the mmx300 if u need such a phone..if u can find one biggrin.gif

Hope this helped a bit..have fun debating!
Edited by hifimanrookie - 3/20/14 at 8:23am
post #2010 of 4637
Headset = headphone with mic
Headphone = headphone that we know.

U can't say headset have more driver because of surround or anything because those "things" that say for example, police to keep in touch with their team while in mission are also considered headset. Headset can also be mono (like the ones we uses while answering cal) in general, headset from what I know, is more for communication purposes while headphone is more for listening.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II