Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › "Best" of audiophile "science"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Best" of audiophile "science"  

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

From the cabley Heart Of Darkness:

 

 

Quote:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/426508/sennheiser-hd800-appreciation-thread/6600#post_9139724

 

that's just completely ignorant, especially from an "engineer's" perspective.  the debate is not about changing copper to gold or anything like that.  but let's start there - from an *engineer's* perspective.  you would agree that different metals have different sonic properties, no?  electrons move through them and across them in different ways.  i hope you would also agree that different gauges of round wire of any those metals have different sonic properties because of the different speeds at which the signal travels based on the surface area available to it.  and I think you would agree - if you've ever heard them - that different shapes - like rectangular or square or triangle or ribbon shaped wires - also have different sonic properties because of the way electrons travel across those surfaces as well.  i also think you would agree that if we took any combination of said metals, gauges and/or shapes and braided them or twisted them in a host of different geometries, this would also impart a sonic characteristic on the signal as the electrons travel across these different metals and gauges and shapes at different speeds and in different ways, interacting with the other electrons in waves created by the other conductors near to it or far from it, etc, etc. etc.  all of the answers to these questions are YES and they are based in science and they are measurable.  if you then took any combination of ALL these variables and were to measure the effect of putting them in contact with OTHER elements - other metals, plastics, liquids, gases, etc. - these would also affect the way the electrons move across the conductor.  what you put it, in other words, is NOT what you get out. what you put in BECOMES what it travels through.  then it comes out.  this is science.  engineering.  whatever iron-clad rules you want to invoke.  given all this, then, what is it that you don't understand about why cables matter?  surely you would agree that tubes have sonic signatures? and capacitors? and resistors?  different connectors?  that's the problem with your argument.  you assume electrons moving in some way independent of their medium.  not possible.  and once you say cables don't matter then you have to say NONE of the other methods for transporting electrons matter either - meaning optical readers, dac chips, stylii - none it changes the signal??

post #2 of 11

So, do we laugh here or in that other thread?

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaddie View Post

So, do we laugh here or in that other thread?

 

I think laughter would fairly require an explanation, and my understanding is that reference to lab and abx tests of cables is frowned on outside this enclave. Sorry.

post #4 of 11

Well, if nobody would object too much, I'm just going to laugh without explanation.  beyersmile.pngbeyersmile.pngbeyersmile.png (and whatever emoticon is used for a knee slap).

post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaddie View Post

So, do we laugh here or in that other thread?

Here, the other thread's locked. :D

post #6 of 11

I already had a laugh.  May I cry as well?

 

The sad part is that maybe it doesn't even come off as implausible if you have no clue about physics and electricity.  Maybe.  It's hard to get intuition about systems you can't see and touch, I guess.

post #7 of 11
Can anyone tell me that will the material used for the connectors or the material in the cable used to transfer signals affect the sq? I just don't understand why would people spend hundreds and thousands dollars just to get an 'upgrade cable'. I haven't got a chance of trying them out but is there really a solid difference in sound? :0
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterCheng View Post

Can anyone tell me that will the material used for the connectors or the material in the cable used to transfer signals affect the sq? I just don't understand why would people spend hundreds and thousands dollars just to get an 'upgrade cable'. I haven't got a chance of trying them out but is there really a solid difference in sound? :0

 

No, sq won't be improved. See  eg http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/audiophiles-cant-tell-the-difference-between-monster-cable-and/

 

People spend money on cables anyway because, well, someone had to be on the lower part of the bell curve when common sense was handed out.

post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuttle View Post

 

No, sq won't be improved.

...unless the wrong cable was used to begin with, i.e. long under-sized speaker wire, or high C cable on a phono cartridge.  But you don't need expensive wire for the fix, just the right wire.

 

post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuttle View Post

No, sq won't be improved. See  eg http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/audiophiles-cant-tell-the-difference-between-monster-cable-and/


People spend money on cables anyway because, well, someone had to be on the lower part of the bell curve when common sense was handed out.
Thanks ^_^ now i wouldnt have to worry about the cable being 'cheap' again smily_headphones1.gif
post #11 of 11

The purpose of the forums isn't to attack and denigrate other people.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Science
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › "Best" of audiophile "science"