Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › JKenny Audio Ciúnas DAC and Ciúnas SPDIF
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JKenny Audio Ciúnas DAC and Ciúnas SPDIF - Page 24

post #346 of 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynnytsky View Post

The TD-11 was a giant step forward for me.  
I also stuffed a 128 SSD in my netbook.  Because I'm such a microsoft guy I feel I need to take a stab at replacing my netbook with a surface tablet.  I'd rather read up on other peoples experiences than blaze these trails on my own, but there I'm finding very little with searches like "
metro 24 192 flac player" and "
microsoft surface wasapi"
I enjoy the TD-11 also, I know there's better DAC's regarding resolution but it gives me a digital/vinyl sound after I rolled a few tubes through it. I settled on the Russian "rocket" tube and closed the case. I want to try one of the uber expensive pinch waist tubes before I ever consider upgrading DAC's. Which JK device are you using?
post #347 of 595
+1 Turn & Cough !!
Edited by SwanSong - 7/21/13 at 4:03pm
post #348 of 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn&cough View Post

I think digital music will follow the home PC evolution. In the beginning PCs were a PITA and quite expensive. Instead of making the average Joe's life easier they mainly created anxiety and headaches. Now that they are reliable, affordable and actually do what they're supposed to everybody owns one (even my 90 year old mother)

 

As digital music evolves and then settles down more people will adopt it and it will most likely become the de facto standard.

 

I think vinyl is a passing thing based partly on boomer nostalgia, the TT cool factor and the belief that it sounds better than other mediums. Not sure if it's a record industry conspiracy but let's just say that homo mercantilus being what he is will always be looking for a gap to fill in the market. If there is no gap he will create one.

 

Personally I really like the look of a vintage TT but I'm not going down that road again.

I'm nowhere close to boomer nostalgia...I'm young.  If anything, it's older people that are encouraging the new ways and not younger/middle aged/etc.  Who do you think runs this industry (the youth?...lol...think again...I'd say the average aged hi-fi audio maker is about 60 years old).  I think vinyl is something for specific types of people, not specific ages.  These types will obviously range from those stuck in their vinyl worlds just like those stuck in their pc worlds;)...to those that can hear what vinyl can do that digital absolutely cannot do.  It's like saying because X amp has distortion figures way way lower than anything ever made and gets rave reviews from everyone, that something else cannot possibly sound better...get real.  If one is to "objectively" say which medium is the best, maybe vinyl can be technically inferior, but if one is to use their own ears, I prefer good tubed power, even a tubed preamp, then anything SS...SS can be ok, but it will never sound as good as a piece of tubed gear unless it's immaculately put together by a genius.  However, tubed gear measures TERRIBLE and is indeed vastly inferior from a technical standpoint...but I'll take tubes all day long just as I will take a well done vinyl rig all day long...not for nostalgia (though I do love smelling the fumes being smoked in the 60's through vinyl that do not appear anywhere near a vivid via digital)...and I do love hearing Ella's voice sound like it's going to explode through the walls, alive as anything, where on digital, it sounds exceptional, but nothing the same-effect.

 

I may never go down the TT road, but until I hear digital being superior, I will never claim that a TT rig is not in fact superior...to my own two ears of youth.


This said, I also prefer analog cameras to digital cameras...ULF ones to be specific;)...

post #349 of 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwanSong View Post


I enjoy the TD-11 also, I know there's better DAC's regarding resolution but it gives me a digital/vinyl sound after I rolled a few tubes through it. I settled on the Russian "rocket" tube and closed the case. I want to try one of the uber expensive pinch waist tubes before I ever consider upgrading DAC's. Which JK device are you using?

Dac's make very little difference in sound.  Try an a/b sometime and even an Asus Xonar can sound or better than a ton of highly acclaimed dacs.  I'd focus on a better digital cable, the different tubes, etc. before trying a different dac.  But heck, why not just send that transport back and get Kenny's all in one unit that will sound as good/better than 99% that is on the market?

post #350 of 595

.


Edited by Andrew_WOT - 7/26/13 at 11:36pm
post #351 of 595
contemplating getting either the ciunas or the hm901 as a source, would be a very interesting comparison.
post #352 of 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioexcels View Post

Dac's make very little difference in sound.  I'd focus on a better digital cable, the different tubes, etc. before trying a different dac.

 

You had me agreeing until you went the cable route.  Source changes are more subtle than amp or headphone changes but cables?  Digital cable ceiling is in around the $50 range.  Length is more important than anything else in spdif cables.  If you spend more than what a WireWorld UV USB costs on USB you need to read up on how USB audio streams work, throw your palm into your face and accept you got robbed :P

post #353 of 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioexcels View Post

I'm nowhere close to boomer nostalgia...I'm young.  If anything, it's older people that are encouraging the new ways and not younger/middle aged/etc.  Who do you think runs this industry (the youth?...lol...think again...I'd say the average aged hi-fi audio maker is about 60 years old).  I think vinyl is something for specific types of people, not specific ages.  These types will obviously range from those stuck in their vinyl worlds just like those stuck in their pc worlds;)...to those that can hear what vinyl can do that digital absolutely cannot do.  It's like saying because X amp has distortion figures way way lower than anything ever made and gets rave reviews from everyone, that something else cannot possibly sound better...get real.  If one is to "objectively" say which medium is the best, maybe vinyl can be technically inferior, but if one is to use their own ears, I prefer good tubed power, even a tubed preamp, then anything SS...SS can be ok, but it will never sound as good as a piece of tubed gear unless it's immaculately put together by a genius.  However, tubed gear measures TERRIBLE and is indeed vastly inferior from a technical standpoint...but I'll take tubes all day long just as I will take a well done vinyl rig all day long...not for nostalgia (though I do love smelling the fumes being smoked in the 60's through vinyl that do not appear anywhere near a vivid via digital)...and I do love hearing Ella's voice sound like it's going to explode through the walls, alive as anything, where on digital, it sounds exceptional, but nothing the same-effect.

 

I may never go down the TT road, but until I hear digital being superior, I will never claim that a TT rig is not in fact superior...to my own two ears of youth.


This said, I also prefer analog cameras to digital cameras...ULF ones to be specific;)...

I do agree that numbers don't tell the whole story on how a component sounds. That's one of the first things I learned when I got in to high end gear back in the early 80's. I also happen to love what good tube gear can do to bring out the essence of well recorded music. I know because I've owned some really good tube gear in the past. I've also owned a couple of pretty wicked TT's that would make most people drool with envy.

 

I have friends that still own awesome vinyl/tube gear and yes it does sound amazing. Unfortunately I no longer have the space or the money to play that game.

 

Tube amps are tempting but they weigh a ton, generate a lot of heat(as does class "A") and take up a lot of space plus tube rolling is an expensive addiction. TTs are high maintenance and benefit from proper calibration (from a pro). Good vinyl is expensive and I would need a warehouse to store the equivalent of my digital collection. It also needs to be cleaned regularly and handled with velvet gloves unless you like to listen to Rice Crispies.

 

So, besides from stating the obvious, it's all about compromise. In my case the tradeoff is convenience over "purist" sound. For now I'm enjoying random playlists and small form factor over total vinyl emotion.

 

Recently I was seriously contemplating a beautiful Line Magnetic 518 IA tube amp but pragmatism took over and I decided to stick with my SS integrated for a while longer.

 

Hopefully some day I'll be able to have my cake and eat it.smile.gif


Edited by Turn&cough - 7/27/13 at 6:09am
post #354 of 595
Quote:
Which JK device are you using?

Answering Swan it's the JKSPDIF-MK2.

 

Has anyone ever compared a modern vinyl track vs it's digitally born equivalent?  I wouldn't be surprised if many people are comparing older vinyl music against digital rips of the same vinyl.  That would be like comparing AM radio and tape by recording the broadcast to tape first.  Surprise, AM sounds better.

 

I won't shop for audiophile power or usb cables.  I do make the effort to keep all my cable lengths at their minimum.  Two of my in-use power cords are only 1.5ft.  Monoprice.com is great for that -- but the shipping will kill you.

 

I have seen my JKSPDIF reject a USB cable before.  That cable was short the way I like, but it was also skinny and didn't have the magnet collars.  I swapped in a fatter "printer" cable that had the magnets and problem solved.  It might have been defective heads.  It doesn't help that my JKSPDIF's usb port is loosy goosy.  Perhaps the former owner abused it.

 

If I was into head-fi I would likely have upgraded my vintage sound blaster audigy 2 to that Xonar and that would have been my last look at DACs.  For my speaker system I would not want my DAC carrying the cost of a quality integrated USB input because I would be purchasing a dedicated USB adapter anyway.  And that's because I like to keep the computer near the listening position and the DAC near the stereo.  Everyone says to keep the USB cable short but coax spdif can go 10x further.

post #355 of 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioexcels View Post

Dac's make very little difference in sound.  I'd focus on a better digital cable, the different tubes, etc. before trying a different dac.

 

 

Quote:

You had me agreeing until you went the cable route.  Source changes are more subtle than amp or headphone changes but cables?  Digital cable ceiling is in around the $50 range.  Length is more important than anything else in spdif cables.  If you spend more than what a WireWorld UV USB costs on USB you need to read up on how USB audio streams work, throw your palm into your face and accept you got robbed :P

 

 

Sorry, I concur with Audioexcels here. I have heard larger differences with spdif cables compared with any other cables. I have tried 4 different cables ranging from $20 to $400 (actually $150 used) and the differences are absolutely positively HUGE. As for USB cables, the differences are more subtle with an async receiver, but despite what people say here on headfi they still matter (I'm keeping the cost/value out of the equation of course). In some situations I believe cables will make a bigger difference than the DAC itself, which is what Audioexels was saying. It's all trial and error in my opinion. You don't know what are missing out on in sound until to try it.  I'm not trying to persuade people to go and buy super expensive cables, but I think good cables should not be overlooked. Everything link in a system matters.

 

 


Edited by robertsong - 7/27/13 at 1:40pm
post #356 of 595

Have you seen my profile? ;)  I've tried all sorts of cable in all sorts of config and price.  Complete waste of money beyond getting a quality cable, connector and assembly.  You should re-solder and cable your amp and dac if you believe that much in cables :P  Because the 1m of copper, not the weak point in a system with hundreds of solder joints, just saying.  Not saying everything is everything is quality, but quality can be had for very little money.  I dumped my ~$1000 in cables last winter and went Blue Jeans, couldn't be happier.  Now headphone side, I do pay a premium to get Q cables but that is for the light weight, shorter length and flex more than any quality increase.  All that to say spending $500 on a cable for a $100 source... dumb.

post #357 of 595
I'm a Ciunas dac owner that's been having a problem with foobar and hadn't thought to ask here. The problem is sound cutouts, primarily during the first 20-25 seconds with ordinary CDs. It occurs whether I set device to the Amanero driver or choose JPlay with the ASIO one. After testing (working my way up), I found a buffer length of 800ms pretty much ended it. JPlay's developers, OTOH, claim that I shouldn't need more than 5ms. So my question is, what have others with this configuration found?

At foobar, responses adamantly encourage a higher setting, such as 1500ms, and be done with it. However, as I get much above 800ms, the delay after starting, stopping, pausing, moving the play location and changing volume gets longer and longer, to the point where by roughly 1200-1500ms it becomes unusable, especially foobar's volume control. The set up is Win 8x64, Ciunas direct connection to computer via two adapters, leading via RCA IC to desktop speakers. CD/DVD player is Plextor PX-891SA. Thanks,
post #358 of 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude
  All that to say spending $500 on a cable for a $100 source... dumb.

 

 

Well at least that I can agree with.

post #359 of 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by highstream View Post

I'm a Ciunas dac owner that's been having a problem with foobar and hadn't thought to ask here. The problem is sound cutouts, primarily during the first 20-25 seconds with ordinary CDs.

 

Happen elsewhere?  JRiver? WMP? Gaming?  My money is on more foobar/jplay/w8 bugs if the dac eventually finds a signal to lock on to.

post #360 of 595
Do you use this combination? Since I've asked elsewhere (foobar, JPlay, Windows Eight), it seems overdue to hear from those who do use it.

I don't have JRiver or WMP or game. Remember, this also happened with foobar and Amanero, the Ciunas supplied driver. Well before using Ciunas, JPlay or foobar, an Audioengine developer told me that they had reports of cutout with Win 8 and their dac. But then there are lots of possibilities, or maybe it's just normal behavior...
Edited by highstream - 7/27/13 at 5:53pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › JKenny Audio Ciúnas DAC and Ciúnas SPDIF