Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › JKenny Audio Ciúnas DAC and Ciúnas SPDIF
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JKenny Audio Ciúnas DAC and Ciúnas SPDIF - Page 15

post #211 of 585
+1 - you can't hit us with something like that Shahrose and then go straight on the run biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

eek.gif

Shah - give us some blow by blows.  Detail retrieval, bass, soundstage, speed and so on..
post #212 of 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrose View Post

Haven't been on here in a while. Just wanted to give a quick update. I've had the Ciunas for almost 2 weeks now, burned in. I like it more than the PWD MK2 (2.2.0) and it's very competitive with my main setup involving the Ref7.1. I'm also getting the converter in a couple of days to test with the Ref.

 

IMO, this is one of the best values in the DAC world currently. Neutral, super fast but also liquid and smooth, with great detail and layering. The soundstage isn't as large as the Ref7.1 but it's competitive with the PWD in that regard. It's more detailed than the Ref...closer to the PWD. The PWD is the best at layering, but it's also the most congested. The Ciunas layers almost as well while sounding open.

 

It can run 24/7 with the trickle charger. It can be used 8ish hours on battery without any wires. Looks and functions great. The driver's solid, with no lag or interruptions like I experienced with the OR5 (it was minor in the OR, but annoying).

 

Buy it.

 

Posted 3 weeks ago. I haven't had a lot of time lately, will write more when I can.

post #213 of 585
^ thanks Shah, had forgotten that early report. Good to hear you still see it this way 3 weeks on.

But we still need the blow-by-blow as prep put it wink.gif

When you can find the time of course beerchug.gif
post #214 of 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by AiDee View Post

^ thanks Shah, had forgotten that early report. Good to hear you still see it this way 3 weeks on.

But we still need the blow-by-blow as prep put it wink.gif

When you can find the time of course beerchug.gif
We want to be sold, you know, the pretty stuff.
post #215 of 585

Hi all,

 

I'm planning on getting the Ciunas DAC but I was wondering if a Windows ASIO driver is available for use with Foobar2000?

 

Thanks in advance.

 

 

Btw, I just want to confirm that the DAC does 24/192 via USB from a Windows 7 (x64) PC, right?


Edited by cimbolic - 6/25/13 at 12:59am
post #216 of 585
You'll need to download a driver for PC use. He doesn't specify the driver so I can't say if ASIO is compatible or not but since it's used in pro audio so much, I'd think it would work but speculation on my part. The unit does do 24/192 material. I'd email John to find out your specific question on the ASIO question. And please post as I'll need to know as well when my buddy's unit comes in. biggrin.gif

PS, Welcome to Head Fi and sorry for your wallet.
Edited by Happy Camper - 6/25/13 at 12:03pm
post #217 of 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimbolic View Post

Hi all,

 

I'm planning on getting the Ciunas DAC but I was wondering if a Windows ASIO driver is available for use with Foobar2000?

 

Thanks in advance.

 

 

Btw, I just want to confirm that the DAC does 24/192 via USB from a Windows 7 (x64) PC, right?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post

You'll need to download a driver for PC use. He doesn't specify the driver so I can't say if ASIO is compatible or not but since it's used in pro audio so much, I'd think it would work but speculation on my part. The unit does do 24/192 material. I'd email John to find out your specific question on the ASIO question. And please post as I'll need to know as well when my buddy's unit comes in. biggrin.gif

PS, Welcome to Head Fi and sorry for your wallet.

 

 

DAC should be able to do direct 24/192 if the JKDAC32 (which shares the same DAC). And I believe it was confirmed in previous posts on this thread. 

 

With regards to the driver. Apparently it is the Amanero USB to I2S module being used instead of the Hiface one. And drivers can be found here (unless someone corrects me): http://amanero.com/drivers.htm . And quote from Amanero website:

 

 

Quote:
KS/Wasapi/WDM/ASIO Drivers for MS OS XP to Win8 32-64bit included at no fee.

 

So should be able to work with ASIO as well. JKDAC32 only could use KS and WASAPI modes for streaming. Another plus for the Ciunas.

post #218 of 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk77 View Post



DAC should be able to do direct 24/192 if the JKDAC32 (which shares the same DAC). And I believe it was confirmed in previous posts on this thread. 

With regards to the driver. Apparently it is the Amanero USB to I2S module being used instead of the Hiface one. And drivers can be found here (unless someone corrects me): http://amanero.com/drivers.htm . And quote from Amanero website:



So should be able to work with ASIO as well. JKDAC32 only could use KS and WASAPI modes for streaming. Another plus for the Ciunas.
I thought the 32 was a Sabre chip? This one is a BB/TI PCM5102.
post #219 of 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post


I thought the 32 was a Sabre chip? This one is a BB/TI PCM5102.

 

No JKDAC was a sabre. The JKDAC32 has the DAC you mentioned.

post #220 of 585

Yes to 24/192 on Win7 (x64) PC

 

ASIO isn't working with Foobar or JRiver on my computer > Ciunas.   I did get ASIO to work with my other DACs in the past so not sure what else I need to do above and beyond.  If anybody has tricks to get this to work let me know.  Otherwise I'm have no problem listening to WASAPI. 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimbolic View Post

Hi all,

 

I'm planning on getting the Ciunas DAC but I was wondering if a Windows ASIO driver is available for use with Foobar2000?

 

Thanks in advance.

 

Btw, I just want to confirm that the DAC does 24/192 via USB from a Windows 7 (x64) PC, right?

post #221 of 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNBC View Post

Yes to 24/192 on Win7 (x64) PC

 

ASIO isn't working with Foobar or JRiver on my computer > Ciunas.   I did get ASIO to work with my other DACs in the past so not sure what else I need to do above and beyond.  If anybody has tricks to get this to work let me know.  Otherwise I'm have no problem listening to WASAPI. 

 

 

 

 

You've installed the driver for the Ciunas and also the ASIO output component in foobar? 

post #222 of 585

Updated Foobar and re-installed ASIO component.  Thanks for the reminder.  I haven't used Foobar in a year.  Works with Foobar but not on JRiver (yet).  Will dissect whether there is a difference between WASAPI or ASIO.  I know there was a debate about this.  Sounds good though whether better or equal.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nk77 View Post

You've installed the driver for the Ciunas and also the ASIO output component in foobar? 

post #223 of 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNBC View Post

Updated Foobar and re-installed ASIO component.  Thanks for the reminder.  I haven't used Foobar in a year.  Works with Foobar but not on JRiver (yet).  Will dissect whether there is a difference between WASAPI or ASIO.  I know there was a debate about this.  Sounds good though whether better or equal.

 

 

Make sure that Jriver Output Mode is selected as ASIO and in Output Mode Settings see if the Ciunas/Amanero driver is selected.

post #224 of 585

So... this thing sounds like a miracle. Better than PWD MK2? eek.gif At this price?

 

Perhaps I'll sell my Concero...

post #225 of 585
Where did anyone say it's better than PWD 2? Don't think that comparison's been done yet.
Unless you mean Master 7 > PWD and Ciunas > Master 7, both of which have been suggested?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › JKenny Audio Ciúnas DAC and Ciúnas SPDIF