Some basic information
- HP-V1 is larger than HP-P1 and is about the same size with Centrance Hifi-M8
- The middle part of the cabinet should be the same as the HP-P1 texture
- 4W power consumption is pretty high as a portable amp, the output power isnt very big however 200mW @ 32ohm
- The battery is 11.1v, 2500 mAh (3 * 3.7v 2500mAh), playback time 10 hours, charging time 3.5 hours
- Body just slightly warm, not really totally hot, Continental V3 much hotter than the HP-V1, and DX100 is much hotter than V3
- Line In jack on both rear and front
- Hiss is present, acceptable level IMO, less background noise than all ALO Headphone amp
- Primarystage with 6N16B-Q tube, secondary stage is done by opamp
- Fostex own capacitor
- You cannot charge the amp when it is turned on, I believe is to avoid overheating, in other words the amp is fully powered by the DC source when it is plugged in.
- Theres a LED on the front, Red=not ready=silent, Green=OK
- The amp requires approximately 30 seconds to warm up to green
- When switching from DC to battery it will take a few seconds (LED turns RED)
Chargers and 3.5 line
Bigger than ALO Continental v3
And almost as big as m8
Both front and rear Line In
Tube and Cap
Front LED lights
Even warmer than the ALO Continental v3 , v3 sounds more exciting, energetic and lively. HP-V1, on the other hand is slower, smoother, comfortable, slightly darker., Vocals is outstanding, warm rich without losing transparency, natural sound and vivid.
Very warm bass contrast Continental v3 obviously vague than HP-V1, HP-V1 bass lines and a clearer sense of depth contours
Soundstage isnt very wide,
HP-V1 drive T50RP, IERM, DT1350, T70p, TH900 pretty well, probably the best portable amp for TH900.
I was most pleasantly surprised that HP-V1 push K3003 much good performance, such as the K3003 8ohm abnormally low impedance headphones with ear is very difficult to expand, it is easy to control (Continental v3 is a good example of a disaster is completely pushed K3003 ) Fostex official also stated above 16ohm impedance headphones fit, so this is totally beyond my expectation
Also noteworthy HP-V1 high quality linear power supply connected to the quality of real-time jump two, analytical, sound field, have reached the top portable headphone amplifier has been comparable with the price of Taiwan machine (but in fact, AC adapter and power cord etc. have been more expensive than HP-V1), but even without the power to grade fever, then the original charger has some upgrade
HP-V1 keeps bringing me surprises, I can not help it start illusions, the "guts taste" it will be difficult to serve the HD800 with the launch of the famous good voice?
The result is abnormal ugly .... I do not want to say more, and short ears than the average expansion push even ugly ...
Finally, the number of HP-V1 some shortcomings ... The first is obviously portability, HP-V1 is very heavy, you dont really want to takes this out..
Secondly the volume knob is way oversized and loose, if the knob is accidently hit it may suddenly turns up the volume..
I ordered some smaller knob intended to replace (in fact, the kind of ALO v3), we must temporarily knob between the body and add some tape so it does not add too much capacity to twist to
All in all I really like HP-V1, are doing a disservice to the quality more than price (Japan Amazon price ¥ 43,535), even as the official pricing is also recommended.