It may be possible but valves are quite inefficient (especially in class A operation), so BIG batteries are needed to give low output power, making them less portable and more transportable. Mains has been the way to go for power hungry headphones and valves. However ... miracles do happen.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productFostex TH600 Dynamic Headphonestagged by dbsaffor, 10/29/13
Related Forum Threads
- Can someone suggest $400-$600 over ear cans with good "neckability" (lol) ? Last post on 2/13/15 at 12:23am in Headphones (full-size)
- Can someone suggest $400-$600 over ear cans with good "neckability" (lol) ? Last post on 7/12/15 at 9:04am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Gaming Headphone Recommendation Last post on 2/12/15 at 1:31am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for closed headphones Last post on 1/28/15 at 3:19am in Headphones (full-size)
- Dampening Modifications to Fostex TH600 Headphones Last post on 7/5/15 at 8:31am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 11/28/16
I try not to be an extremist and I try to give most products I review a decent amount of hearing before making any judgments on their quality but when a product reaches with a level of quality I...
A great purchase for under 180 pounds, these headphones blow the direct competition away when it comes to almost everything. They arrive in a nice premium package with a thick, high grade cable for...
A reasonably priced pair of premium Open back headphones. They are well made and super comfortable and have a luxurious appearance well suited to home hi fi use. Unlike other hi fidelity phones...
Disclaimer: Bhavneet from Burson Audio offered to send me the Cable+, with no return required, asking me only to post my honest evaluation of its performance when used with the Chromecast...
These headphones are much recommended online as a relatively cheap introduction into the world of high fidelity. They are functional and do not excessively grab attention visually. They are...
New Fostex HP-V1 Portable Amp - Page 4
Gear mentioned in this thread:
and Square paper TUR-06 :-)
with iDAC & USB DAC options would have made a far more interesting product. But maybe they want to feel the waters and see how much interest they get for this portable tube amp at the price point they will be asking.
Looks like Fostex is almost ready to deliver in Feb (most likely for the Fujiya Winter portaken festival on 8th Feb?).
e-earphone just put up the HP-V1 in their catalogue at Y54,600 (Approx USD$522). :-
It looks better every time some new info comes out. I'm glad they have stayed close to the portable ethos. The proof should be in the pudding. I can't read Japanese info, however looks like 200mW/32ohm, 3.5mm sockets, 20-200kHz, all fine so far.
ADD: And 6N16B-Q Soviet valves.
Edited by AJHeadfi - 1/22/14 at 4:38am
At last the HP-V1 is now on their official website:
At 390g its not a thing I'll carry around day to day though...
I guess you mean out on their international site? for Its been out in Japan since 1st Feb (before that they were taking orders). I had a listen to it again at the Fujiya Portable Event :-
I was really tempted to pick one up at the show especially when they had specials (5x going for Y42,000+ each) and I had just dropped off my TUR-06 for repair. Unfortunately it didn't have enough grunt to drive my Alpha Dogs (but naturally drove the MH335DW easily). It wasn't microphonic as far as I can tell and that's extremely welcoming for a portable tube amp.
This will compliment my HP-P1 perfectly. Hybrid technology may be gaining more momentum, like d class amps.
Let us have a TU-06 vs HP-V1 shootout! Yeeha
Edited by AJHeadfi - 2/11/14 at 8:23am
- New Fostex HP-V1 Portable Amp
- › Meze 99 Classics Unique Wood Grain Photos 1 minute ago
- › Testing audiophile claims and myths 2 minutes ago
- › Got the Blues? 2 minutes ago
- › [SALE] [NIB] Audeze 2.5m Premium Balanced 4-pin XLR cable for LCD... 3 minutes ago
- › The NEW Cayin C5 portable power house. 4 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! New NiceHCK DZ7 1DD+6 BA iem impression by... 4 minutes ago
- › Westone ES5 5 minutes ago
- › REVIEW: Comparison of 5 High End Digital Music Servers - Aurender... 6 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Experimental Rock Music (Space Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Gothic Rock,... 6 minutes ago
- › Sangdo Headset Mic for Sony MH EX300AP L36H L36I C6603 LT26II LT28H... by Griffith
- › Denon AH-D600 by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by theminstrel
- › Burson Audio Cable+ by markbrauer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by theminstrel
- › FiiO E17 by theminstrel
- › Sony NWZ-A15 Walkman Video MP3 Player (16GB) - Black by theminstrel
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 by theminstrel
- › Shure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black) by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 449 Headphones by theminstrel
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear