Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEW - Schiit Asgard 2 - Page 32

post #466 of 1823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pritolus View Post

 

You didn't misunderstand. A switch box would be more practical, but you'd have to get a rather premium one. The less expensive switch boxes are in my experience rather terrible, quality-wise. Thin wires and a cheap switch will pretty much nullify the money you invested in the DAC...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by john57 View Post

Not only poor quality, they add quite a bit of noise on the line on the ones I have tried.

I just order a switch box from Decware ($279 for the box + $50 optional volume control) we'll see how it does.

post #467 of 1823

Bleh my date slipped from 15-16th, drat!

post #468 of 1823
I had both kept the lyr it sounds better to my ears. The ascard 2 was very good the lyr is just better
Warmer fuller etc
post #469 of 1823
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearFNF View Post

 

I just order a switch box from Decware ($279 for the box + $50 optional volume control) we'll see how it does.

I'd be interested to hear how a better quality switch box like that performs. Though I cannot get what you want the volume control for. Do you plan on connecting the switch box directly to a power amplifier or powered speakers?

post #470 of 1823

It will start out as a one pre-amp into multiple headphone amps switch box.  I want the volume control so I can turn it down before switching to the different amps.  It may eventually be a multiple sources into one amp switch but not for a while I think, or maybe there is another switch needed in the future???  We'll see how much I like this one.  Next one might not have the volume control.

post #471 of 1823

I have a question for you Asgard 2 owners - I have a 27" iMac and a pair of Yamaha HS80M powered monitors, so my desk is pretty crowded.  I currently have a Bifrost and an Asgard 2 that should be arriving today.  I currently have the Bifrost under my iMac on one side and the perfect space to put the Asgard would be under my iMac on the other side.  But from what I've heard the Asgard runs pretty hot and the iMac intake vents are underneath the iMac which would be right above the rising heat from the Asgard.  Do you think it would be too hot to place there?  I could raise the iMac a bit to give it more room, but don't want to fry anything.  Or should I rearrange things and find a spot to squeeze it in?  What do you think?

post #472 of 1823
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpjr View Post

I have a question for you Asgard 2 owners - I have a 27" iMac and a pair of Yamaha HS80M powered monitors, so my desk is pretty crowded.  I currently have a Bifrost and an Asgard 2 that should be arriving today.  I currently have the Bifrost under my iMac on one side and the perfect space to put the Asgard would be under my iMac on the other side.  But from what I've heard the Asgard runs pretty hot and the iMac intake vents are underneath the iMac which would be right above the rising heat from the Asgard.  Do you think it would be too hot to place there?  I could raise the iMac a bit to give it more room, but don't want to fry anything.  Or should I rearrange things and find a spot to squeeze it in?  What do you think?

Probably best to re-arrange.  I don't think it would be a good idea to pre-heat the air going into the iMac.  Also you don't want to limit the air flow through the Asgard 2 either.

post #473 of 1823
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearFNF View Post

Probably best to re-arrange.  I don't think it would be a good idea to pre-heat the air going into the iMac.  Also you don't want to limit the air flow through the Asgard 2 either.

My Asgard came about 5 minutes after I posted that question.  It's been running for about an hour and it is really hot (even the volume knob is hot!).  Definitely not going to put it under the iMac.

post #474 of 1823
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpjr View Post

I have a question for you Asgard 2 owners - I have a 27" iMac and a pair of Yamaha HS80M powered monitors, so my desk is pretty crowded.  I currently have a Bifrost and an Asgard 2 that should be arriving today.  I currently have the Bifrost under my iMac on one side and the perfect space to put the Asgard would be under my iMac on the other side.  But from what I've heard the Asgard runs pretty hot and the iMac intake vents are underneath the iMac which would be right above the rising heat from the Asgard.  Do you think it would be too hot to place there?  I could raise the iMac a bit to give it more room, but don't want to fry anything.  Or should I rearrange things and find a spot to squeeze it in?  What do you think?

 

 

The right side of my A2 is nearly hot enough to light Marlboros.

post #475 of 1823

... Greetings, fellow Schiit Heads!

 

Should pick up my Asgard II from the PO on Monday... Looking forward to it :)

post #476 of 1823

i just got my asgard 2, when i turn it on there is a very loud noise on speakers and headphones (and a softer one when i turn it off). is this normal? should i unplug everything before turning on/off the amp or is safe?.

actually i tested it a little more, and i can hear the relay when i turn it on, but i cannot hear it when i turn it on, so probably the delay is too short when powering on?


Edited by harroyo - 5/12/13 at 1:49am
post #477 of 1823

That would be a question for Jason @ Schiit. 

post #478 of 1823

When using headphones = turn on amp, plug in headphones.  Unplug headphones, turn off amp.

 

When using speakers, turn on Asgard then turn on speaker amplifier.  Turn off speaker amplifier then turn off Asgard.

 

Nothing is wrong with your amp.  That's just how amps are.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by harroyo View Post

i just got my asgard 2, when i turn it on there is a very loud noise on speakers and headphones (and a softer one when i turn it off). is this normal? should i unplug everything before turning on/off the amp or is safe?.

actually i tested it a little more, and i can hear the relay when i turn it on, but i cannot hear it when i turn it on, so probably the delay is too short when powering on?

post #479 of 1823
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post

When using headphones = turn on amp, plug in headphones.  Unplug headphones, turn off amp.

 

When using speakers, turn on Asgard then turn on speaker amplifier.  Turn off speaker amplifier then turn off Asgard.

 

Nothing is wrong with your amp.  That's just how amps are.

 

 

Why turn on the Asgard when listening to speakers (unless it's being used as a preamp for the speaker amp...)

post #480 of 1823
Quote:
Originally Posted by harroyo View Post

i just got my asgard 2, when i turn it on there is a very loud noise on speakers and headphones (and a softer one when i turn it off). is this normal? should i unplug everything before turning on/off the amp or is safe?.

actually i tested it a little more, and i can hear the relay when i turn it on, but i cannot hear it when i turn it on, so probably the delay is too short when powering on?


First, the volume should always be down all the way when turning your gear on/off.

(Generally no need to unplug anything.)

 

Second, if I'm understanding your post correctly - no, it is not normal.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › NEW - Schiit Asgard 2