Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEW - Schiit Asgard 2 - Page 30

post #436 of 1860

Go with the bifrost with the upgraded board. It's wonderful and makes a nice stack with the A2. wink.gif

post #437 of 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Go with the bifrost with the upgraded board. It's wonderful and makes a nice stack with the A2. wink.gif

That seems to be the general consensus! I'm looking forward to a meet in the DC area later in the Month.

post #438 of 1860

Meets are great!! I went to my first one this past weekend. Here is my advice...Take hp's but leave all the gear at home. At least that what I wished I would have done. It was a big hassle to break everything done, pack it up and then unpack it at the meet. I had more fun trying my hp's on different amps that were there and talking with other hobbyist about their setups. 

 

Have fun!!

post #439 of 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpjr View Post

I ordered mine on the 4/26 and saw the same thing today.  I wish they would finally ship it...

I feel you man. I'm leaving for vacation on the 17th and I'm afraid that they're going to ship it while I'm gone for a week :[

I live in San Diego as well we should consider starting a thread for a San Diego meet cause I missed the one last year in Coronado. I hope next week they finally decide to ship it. My DT880s are getting lonely and need some help

post #440 of 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

Meets are great!! I went to my first one this past weekend. Here is my advice...Take hp's but leave all the gear at home. At least that what I wished I would have done. It was a big hassle to break everything done, pack it up and then unpack it at the meet. I had more fun trying my hp's on different amps that were there and talking with other hobbyist about their setups. 

 

Have fun!!

Sounds good. Did you bring an MP3 player or CD's to listen to?

post #441 of 1860

I brought everything and the kitchen sink. I didn't really know what it would be like so I thought, "just bring it all." 

 

There was so many people there with high end gear, that I could have come without anything and it would have been fine. The next meet that I got to, plan to take only hp's. But to answer your question, yes I did have an ipod. 

post #442 of 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

I brought everything and the kitchen sink. I didn't really know what it would be like so I thought, "just bring it all." 

 

There was so many people there with high end gear, that I could have come without anything and it would have been fine. The next meet that I got to, plan to take only hp's. But to answer your question, yes I did have an ipod. 

Thanks Matt. I was contemplating putting together an auditioning playlist of various tracks on my Ipod.

post #443 of 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post

I just got my Asgard 2 using with a Grado 225i which is not supposed to require amplification, but benefits.

 

(Virgin Newbie Alert-this is my first decent set of cans and my absolute first experience with an amp. I have never listened w/ a DAC, and currently don't listen to my computer that much. I listen to Itunes files and stream using an Internet receiver. Also, I have ordered a Sonos Connect that will allow me to access all my digital music through my stereo system and play throughout the house on different wireless speakers. My plan is to see how I might add a DAC into the mix to improve the SQ and combine that w/ my A2 if possible. )

 

Just a few minutes last night listening to:

 

 A) dedicated Onkyo 7030 CD player, and

 

B) Rhaspody streaming service on an Onkyo streaming receiver. 

 

I was expecting minimal improvement from my CD player. It has a Woflson DAC and I have previously thought the SQ listening to CD's from the HP jack on my Onkyo CD player was quite good. I was wrong! The sound quality from the A2 through my dedicated Onkyo 7030 CD player vs listening to the CD player's HP jack sounds, fuller, richer and more vibrant. I'm not an audiophile. But, I think I can recognize good sound. The A-2 just sounds better.

 

 I listened to a little classical, jazz and metal. I'm mostly a rock guy, but I like classical, ambient, folk and jazz as well. I don't do country, top 40 pop-have to pass on the Rhianna/Britney Spears,etc., EDM or opera. I'm game for everything else though.

 

I noticed the difference more in the nuanced music of classical the most-a Mozart CD. I'm assuming that is because the nuances in Mozart are more apparent than sludge and thrash metal! Looking forward to listening to some more nuanced  prog, blues, folk, and well recorded classic rock to see.

 

As stated, I don't own a DAC yet. But, I agree w/ Steve Guttenburg ( hope I have that name right) who referenced the 225i and Asgard in a CNET review that caught my eye. He said something to the effect that a Grado 225 and Asgard (pre A-2) was a great budget entry into high quality sound. Thus far, I would have to agree.

 

Call my pleasantly surprised.

 

Now to decide if I want to spring for the Biforst or Peach Tree DAC-It which I believe will allow me to use with my Sonos and if I'm lucky also with my A2.

 

The smallest Sonos thingie (the one that's only got a pre amp, and that goes into powered speakers or a proper stereo set up) has got digital audio out (can't remember if it's coax or optical). You just plug it into your DAC and you're set.

You don't need a DAC though, just plug your A2 into the analog output. This uses the onboard Sonos DAC, which isn't the best DAC ever, but it does what it's supposed to. A dedicated DAC like the Bifrost or Peach Tree DAC-It will bring the experience up another notch or two, and the Sonos > DAC > Asgard 2 should be equal in SQ to PC SPDIF/Toslink out > DAC > Asgard 2 (though the Sonos system can't do anything over 16bit 44.1kHz, so any hi-res you've got is scaled down to CD quality).


Edited by Pritolus - 5/8/13 at 2:16pm
post #444 of 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pritolus View Post

 

The smallest Sonos thingie (the one that's only got a pre amp, and that goes into powered speakers or a proper stereo set up) has got digital audio out (can't remember if it's coax or optical). You just plug it into your DAC and you're set.

You don't need a DAC though, just plug your A2 into the analog output. This uses the onboard Sonos DAC, which isn't the best DAC ever, but it does what it's supposed to. A dedicated DAC like the Bifrost or Peach Tree DAC-It will bring the experience up another notch or two, and the Sonos > DAC > Asgard 2 should be equal in SQ to PC SPDIF/Toslink out > DAC > Asgard 2 (though the Sonos system can't do anything over 16bit 44.1kHz, so any hi-res you've got is scaled down to CD quality).

Excellent. Just the sort of information I need!

post #445 of 1860

Don't disregard the Peachtree Dacit just because the general population has the bifrost. Many people who own the bifrost haven't tried the peachtree dacit. Even less people with the upgraded bifrost, or the peachtree psu upg (teralink). 

I'm saying all this, but I haven't heard the bifrost either. Take a look at these two comparisons from people who actually have both:

 

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?133568-Entry-Level-DAC-Comparison-Results

http://www.head-fi.org/t/658493/looking-for-a-dac-recommendation-budget-approx-500#post_9329199

 

Don't mean to derail the thread. Now back to asgard 2?

post #446 of 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpjr View Post

Just out of curiosity - what problems did you have with it?

http://www.head-fi.org/products/schiit-asgard-2/reviews/8899

post #447 of 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

I'm also in the cue for waiting. I have no hp amp currently and am having to use my vintage receiver which I actually like a lot, but periodically it won't work and goes into "protect mode." I guess that means that it's old. 

 

What made you switch from the Lyr?

post #448 of 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pritolus View Post

 

The smallest Sonos thingie (the one that's only got a pre amp, and that goes into powered speakers or a proper stereo set up) has got digital audio out (can't remember if it's coax or optical). You just plug it into your DAC and you're set.

You don't need a DAC though, just plug your A2 into the analog output. This uses the onboard Sonos DAC, which isn't the best DAC ever, but it does what it's supposed to. A dedicated DAC like the Bifrost or Peach Tree DAC-It will bring the experience up another notch or two, and the Sonos > DAC > Asgard 2 should be equal in SQ to PC SPDIF/Toslink out > DAC > Asgard 2 (though the Sonos system can't do anything over 16bit 44.1kHz, so any hi-res you've got is scaled down to CD quality).

In this set up, The DAC would connect to my Asgard 2 or to (in my case) a stereo receiver, but not both simultaneously. Do I have that right? If I wanted to add a DAC to my Sonos Connect to improve the SQ of both my stereo as well as drive my Asgard 2, would I essentially need two separate DACS?

post #449 of 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by markm1 View Post

In this set up, The DAC would connect to my Asgard 2 or to (in my case) a stereo receiver, but not both simultaneously. Do I have that right? If I wanted to add a DAC to my Sonos Connect to improve the SQ of both my stereo as well as drive my Asgard 2, would I essentially need two separate DACS?

The Sonos device I'm talking about is the Sonos Connect. Info is found on Sonos.com.

I get what you're asing about, and the short answer is: no, you don't have to. Part of what separates the Asgard 2 from the original Asgard is the preamp. This means that you connect the Asgard 2 to your DAC, and your stereo to the Asgard 2 preamp output. This way music will play through your headphones when they're connected, and through your stereo when you disconnect them from the A2. Please note that the volume knob on the A2 will then affect the output to your stereo; controlling the volume. This might not be optimal if you're connecting it to a stereo preamp, as you then have two volume controls for the same signal. The best solution then would be to set the A2 to 60%-90% of max volume, and then just use the volume knob on your stereo to get the desired volume.

Another option is a DAC with both balanced and unbalanced outputs. That way you could connect the A2 to the unbalanced outputs, and the balanced to your stereo (if it has got balanced input). Depending on the DAC you should either get sound in both the A2 and stereo, or you choose between balanced/unbalanced via a switch on the DAC. The Sonos Connect has both Coax and optical digital outputs, so you can in theory use two DACs should you so desire. I very much doubt the Connect outputs only to coax OR optical.

The last option is of course to have the cables for both your A2 and stereo behind the DAC, and just insering the one you want at the time. As long as you manage to keep the unused cable in place behind your DAC (so it doesn't fall behind your rack or get pulled away when you move your other cables) this isn't really that impractial.

 

In any case you should make sure that the Sonos Connect is set to fixed volume, as you'll be controlling volume on the A2 or your stereo. The Sonos volume control would just degregade SQ and make your life harder.

Hope this helps!

post #450 of 1860

Woohoo, mine shipped (ordered on 4/22)!
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › NEW - Schiit Asgard 2