or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEW - Schiit Asgard 2 - Page 159

post #2371 of 2413
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcelE View Post
 

Not sure what the difference between the Asgard 1 and Asgard 2 is, but I thoroughly enjoy the Asgard 2 with my planars.

With the HE-400 and on low gain the soundscape is somewhat wider, more space, on high gain the midst come more forward and it's a more in your face sound.

I'm sure other amps/dacs give their own signature to the sound, but for me this works and is end-game for me.

(though I'm not ruling out getting another dac like the Bifrost, if only it would fit below the Asgard 2).

I'll second the low-gain versus high-gain. The lower is my preference.

 

I wish I understood more with regards to headphone amplifier topology (I am here, so perhaps there is hope), but to my ears the 12dB of feedback in low gain mode is doing the sound some good. And there is still plenty of power available to drive my most power-hungry planar.

post #2372 of 2413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt369 View Post


Does anyone drive the alpha primes with the asgard 2? If so, is it enough power? My understanding is that the AP's need at least 1.5 watts to get the most out of the base.
I have that setup, no problem at all, I never have to move the volume knob past halfway.
post #2373 of 2413
Quote:
Originally Posted by earnmyturns View Post


I have that setup, no problem at all, I never have to move the volume knob past halfway.


Perfect. Thank you.

post #2374 of 2413
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldaze View Post
 

I'll second the low-gain versus high-gain. The lower is my preference.

 

I wish I understood more with regards to headphone amplifier topology (I am here, so perhaps there is hope), but to my ears the 12dB of feedback in low gain mode is doing the sound some good. And there is still plenty of power available to drive my most power-hungry planar.


Really? I had (just sold them) the HE400i & with my iphone voume cranked all the way up the Asgard2 I needed the gain switched up, the volume knob was turned all the way to 3 o'clock & it still seemed starved. I don't know I guess I just thought with a desktop amp like that you would just barely turn it on & it would blow the doors off but it's not any louder than my Fiio Mont Blanc.

post #2375 of 2413

Most source components output a fixed 2 volts, not sure what your iPhone's output voltage is, but if it's lower than average you'll have to turn the Asgard 2 up higher. 

post #2376 of 2413
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceans22 View Post
 


Really? I had (just sold them) the HE400i & with my iphone voume cranked all the way up the Asgard2 I needed the gain switched up, the volume knob was turned all the way to 3 o'clock & it still seemed starved. I don't know I guess I just thought with a desktop amp like that you would just barely turn it on & it would blow the doors off but it's not any louder than my Fiio Mont Blanc.


My ears would bleed.  I wonder if your iphone has the volume limit set.   Although, I run my asgard from the Modi U2 so maybe there is a difference in its output compared to the iphone (which I also use).  Did you ever drive HP from your iphone?


Edited by 12many - 2/9/16 at 3:23pm
post #2377 of 2413

Is there anything wrong because i prefer the sound of the original Asgard to the Asgard 2? I heard the original to be euphonic, natural and spacious ,the Asgard 2 is more forward and compressed.

post #2378 of 2413
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamleo View Post
 

Is there anything wrong because i prefer the sound of the original Asgard to the Asgard 2? I heard the original to be euphonic, natural and spacious ,the Asgard 2 is more forward and compressed.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question. I just have another question - did you try the Asgard 2 in both high and low gain?

post #2379 of 2413

I want to buy either an Asgard 2 or Valhalla 2 to pair pretty much exclusively with my Sennheiser HD600s. I've read so many threads and varying opinions regarding which one would be better with this specific can. One review I read said the V2 had a bit more sparkle and clarity in the treble than the A2 provided...seems like this might benefit the 600's?

 

I also just ordered a balanced cable from Surf Cables. I realize neither of these amps have a balanced output, but I plan to get an amp with balanced output for the music room down the line. I'm going to use either the A2 or V2 with the 1 foot adapter cable that I bought to use the Surf Cable with a non-balanced amp. Would my choice of cable make a difference in my choice between these two amps?

 

I'm so confused, perhaps I will just flip a damn coin...

post #2380 of 2413
Quote:
Originally Posted by listen2themusic View Post
 

I want to buy either an Asgard 2 or Valhalla 2 to pair pretty much exclusively with my Sennheiser HD600s. I've read so many threads and varying opinions regarding which one would be better with this specific can. One review I read said the V2 had a bit more sparkle and clarity in the treble than the A2 provided...seems like this might benefit the 600's?

 

I also just ordered a balanced cable from Surf Cables. I realize neither of these amps have a balanced output, but I plan to get an amp with balanced output for the music room down the line. I'm going to use either the A2 or V2 with the 1 foot adapter cable that I bought to use the Surf Cable with a non-balanced amp. Would my choice of cable make a difference in my choice between these two amps?

 

I'm so confused, perhaps I will just flip a damn coin...

I have both:

 

  • The Asgard 2 is better for headphones that require a lot of current - think planar.
  • The Valhalla 2 is better for headphones that require a lot of voltage, and typically have high impedance - Sennheiser HD600/650/800 and many other headphones are a perfect match.
post #2381 of 2413
Just ordered Asgard2 to amp the Q701 and Beyer DT990Pro 250ohm. Will compare it to my iBasso D14 and post back my findings
post #2382 of 2413
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldaze View Post
 

I have both:

 

  • The Asgard 2 is better for headphones that require a lot of current - think planar.
  • The Valhalla 2 is better for headphones that require a lot of voltage, and typically have high impedance - Sennheiser HD600/650/800 and many other headphones are a perfect match.


I just ordered a Schiit Valhalla 2 and Bifrost DAC today...

post #2383 of 2413
Quote:
Originally Posted by listen2themusic View Post
 


I just ordered a Schiit Valhalla 2 and Bifrost DAC today...

Very Nice!

post #2384 of 2413

Positive first impression for the Asgard 2 when compared to the iBasso D14

The Asgard 2 adds body, the sound opened up a little bit, adds slight warmness, increases soundstage, tightens up the bass, clearer/smoother sound. Needless to say the very slight distortion I used to have with the D14 when upping the volume past 2-3 o’clock on high gain is gone now, which is expected given the spec difference between these amps.

Please note that all changes are slight, nothing extreme, but it’s there, for my ears, YMMV.

Test performed on AKG Q701 and Beyer DT990Pro 250 ohm

post #2385 of 2413
Have fun with the Asgard2 Leggy. It's a wonderful amp imo.
Right now I'm listening from my tablet and oh boy I do want my Asgard2 connected right now because the output from the tablet misses body, power etc.
The difference is not small.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › NEW - Schiit Asgard 2