Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › NEW - Schiit Asgard 2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEW - Schiit Asgard 2 - Page 122

post #1816 of 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otheronek View Post

Sorry for the newbie question. I tried a search but nothing came up. Posting my question wil save me from reading 1800+ posts. I plan on getting an Asgard 2. Is it alright to leave the A2 amp on 24/7? I understand it is class A and runs pretty warm, with the on/off switch on the back I wont have easy access to it. Thanks for the help in advance...

OOK

 

It'll pull full power the whole time as others have mentioned, but yes, it is okay to leave it on. If you plan on putting it somewhere where the back's hard to reach, you may want to plug it into a power strip or similar with a switch so you can turn it off that way.

post #1817 of 1942
100x100px-LS-44b8d34f_beyerdynamic-dt-990-250ohm-headphones-for-rs17000-new-sealed-pack-rs17000-lahore.jpeg
  • 193 Posts. Joined 12/2013
  •  

I remember reading somewhere a few months ago that it's good to let a class A amp warm up before use. I've been letting my Asgard 2 just sit in the on position for like 30 minutes before using it, is this a waste of time? I have tried it without doing so and found no difference in sound. 

 

 

 

I don't think you need to warm up the amp to hear a difference as there should be no difference. Yes Class A amps operate best at their peak temperatures but that does not mean they are not operating correctly when turned on as it's not a tube amp as someone mentioned. Just turn it on and enjoy the music.


Edited by Hi-Fi'er - 7/7/14 at 2:07pm
post #1818 of 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Fi'er View Post
 
100x100px-LS-44b8d34f_beyerdynamic-dt-990-250ohm-headphones-for-rs17000-new-sealed-pack-rs17000-lahore.jpeg
  • 193 Posts. Joined 12/2013
  •  

I remember reading somewhere a few months ago that it's good to let a class A amp warm up before use. I've been letting my Asgard 2 just sit in the on position for like 30 minutes before using it, is this a waste of time? I have tried it without doing so and found no difference in sound. 

 

 

 

I don't think you need to warm up the amp to hear a difference as there should be no difference. Yes Class A amps operate best at their peak temperatures but that does not mean they are not operating correctly when turned on as it's not a tube amp as someone mentioned. Just turn it on and enjoy the music.

It warms up pretty quick, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

post #1819 of 1942

Hello, HD650/Asgard 2 owner thinking of switching to O2 for portability reasons (I could grab O2 and take it into the living room for listening to vinyl, or lay on my bed and listen to my headphones, or etc).

 

I'm having trouble finding any good comparisons of the two. I tried searching this thread and found one opinion but I think it's important to have at least a few opinions, especially on something subjective like audio. I find the Asgard 2 sound to be very smooth and clean, and I'm wondering if it would be a sacrifice in sound quality to switch to O2?

post #1820 of 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohcrapgorillas View Post
 

Hello, HD650/Asgard 2 owner thinking of switching to O2 for portability reasons (I could grab O2 and take it into the living room for listening to vinyl, or lay on my bed and listen to my headphones, or etc).

 

I'm having trouble finding any good comparisons of the two. I tried searching this thread and found one opinion but I think it's important to have at least a few opinions, especially on something subjective like audio. I find the Asgard 2 sound to be very smooth and clean, and I'm wondering if it would be a sacrifice in sound quality to switch to O2?

 

I don't really consider the O2 as portable, although it's advertised as such.  It's easier to move.  When I think of portability, I think more so of a FiiO amp, which aren't bad for the money.  I have the E11 and it holds its own.

post #1821 of 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post

I don't really consider the O2 as portable, although it's advertised as such.  It's easier to move.  When I think of portability, I think more so of a FiiO amp, which aren't bad for the money.  I have the E11 and it holds its own.

I don't plan on taking it outside, just around the house. The battery powered aspect of it is a huge plus, and that's what I meant by portable.

I considered the E11 but I have read more than once that is not great with the HD650.
post #1822 of 1942
Let's go with it being semi-portable.


The O2 is what I'll be using when I'm not at my desk setup, as I could not discern much if any difference between it and my Lyr with the LCD-2's.
post #1823 of 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohcrapgorillas View Post

I don't plan on taking it outside, just around the house. The battery powered aspect of it is a huge plus, and that's what I meant by portable.

I considered the E11 but I have read more than once that is not great with the HD650.
You should be thinking about the FiiO E12.
post #1824 of 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderf4i View Post

Let's go with it being semi-portable.
 

 

You could get a Magni with a spare wall wart to port back and forth between your rigs for $10 less than an O2 with arguably better performance for the HD 650. Better yet, ask Schiit about a second cord for your A2. Having the cord at each station makes the box a lot more portable. 

post #1825 of 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post


You should be thinking about the FiiO E12.

 

Very nice portable amp!...I use it with my W40's and B&W P7's and it does a great job driving them both. The Magni (as mentioned above) would be a great choice as well. 

post #1826 of 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderf4i View Post

Let's go with it being semi-portable.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocraft67 View Post
 

 

You could get a Magni with a spare wall wart to port back and forth between your rigs for $10 less than an O2 with arguably better performance for the HD 650. Better yet, ask Schiit about a second cord for your A2. Having the cord at each station makes the box a lot more portable. 

Additional wall warts can be had for $10 USD a piece.

http://schiit.com/products/16vac-wall-wart

post #1827 of 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocraft67 View Post

You could get a Magni with a spare wall wart to port back and forth between your rigs for $10 less than an O2 with arguably better performance for the HD 650. Better yet, ask Schiit about a second cord for your A2. Having the cord at each station makes the box a lot more portable. 

Nope, definitely want battery powered, and the O2 isn't lacking at all. I've built 8 of them myself already but sold/have away all but my desktop version, so I'll build another battery version and be happy.
post #1828 of 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post


You should be thinking about the FiiO E12.


+1 for the E12, a very solid contender and of course portable.

post #1829 of 1942

Thanks guys. I ended up getting an O2 for quite cheap on the classifieds, so I might even be able to afford to keep the Asgard 2 and the O2. We'll see how they do and I'll post my A/B impressions once I've had some time. 

post #1830 of 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohcrapgorillas View Post
 

Thanks guys. I ended up getting an O2 for quite cheap on the classifieds, so I might even be able to afford to keep the Asgard 2 and the O2. We'll see how they do and I'll post my A/B impressions once I've had some time. 

Did you get an A/B switch?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › NEW - Schiit Asgard 2