Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iPad Mini vs The New iPad (4G)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPad Mini vs The New iPad (4G)

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I searched in this forum but could not find direct comparison between these two. If anyone own/heard them both please let us know which onw sound better.
I will be buying an iPad in coming days, so I need to decide which one to go for. I will be using it primarily for reading, browsing and music. I am leaning towards the mini because of its small form factor
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCopyrighter View Post

I searched in this forum but could not find direct comparison between these two. If anyone own/heard them both please let us know which onw sound better.
I will be buying an iPad in coming days, so I need to decide which one to go for. I will be using it primarily for reading, browsing and music. I am leaning towards the mini because of its small form factor

 

If there is a difference between the two at all - I'm not an ipad owner - it might help if you say what sort of headphones/iems you want to use them with. This makes a big difference - if the bottleneck is the headphones, there's no point worrying about relatively minor differences in other hardware. (And I'd be very surprised if there was a big difference between the two.)


Edited by scuttle - 2/7/13 at 8:51am
post #3 of 13

The regular iPad has better soundquality with more volume, iPad Mini looks slim and stylish with great soundquality and loud volume levels but little behind than fullsize iPad both on soundquality resolution and volume levels. BTW difference is not day n night but if you compare side by side then you will immediatly notice.

post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuttle View Post

If there is a difference between the two at all - I'm not an ipad owner - it might help if you say what sort of headphones/iems you want to use them with. This makes a big difference - if the bottleneck is the headphones, there's no point worrying about relatively minor differences in other hardware. (And I'd be very surprised if there was a big difference between the two.)
You are correct regarding headphones. I'll be using my iPad with AKG K450.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFAUDIOPHILE View Post

The regular iPad has better soundquality with more volume, iPad Mini looks slim and stylish with great soundquality and loud volume levels but little behind than fullsize iPad both on soundquality resolution and volume levels. BTW difference is not day n night but if you compare side by side then you will immediatly notice.
Thanks. Also how is the reading (pdfs, docs or internet) experience on the mini?
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCopyrighter View Post


You are correct regarding headphones. I'll be using my iPad with AKG K450.
Thanks. Also how is the reading (pdfs, docs or internet) experience on the mini?

This app is recommended by many for the iPad, called GoodReader....https://itunes.apple.com/app/id363448914?mt=8

post #6 of 13

The specifation from iPad mini is like iPad 2 

 

the sound quality from iPad mini almost like iPad 2

 

iPad 4 sound quality is the best > iPad 3 > iPad 2 = iPad mini .

post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi0504 View Post

The specifation from iPad mini is like iPad 2 

the sound quality from iPad mini almost like iPad 2

iPad 4 sound quality is the best > iPad 3 > iPad 2 = iPad mini .
Are you sure? because in the teardown I saw that iPad 4G and Mini use the same codec chip. Yes I know implementation does matter but still?
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCopyrighter View Post


You are correct regarding headphones. I'll be using my iPad with AKG K450.
Thanks. Also how is the reading (pdfs, docs or internet) experience on the mini?

IMO the reading include internet, ebooks, pdf is among the best on iPad mini and pics, other documents looks great on it, the real difference where iPad mini falls behind are video and it shows clear difference of lacking pixeles and is not great as full size new iPad. So overall it's offers great speedy performance and everything run smooth with good colors but it's only behind in videos(still looks pretty good compared to other 7in tabs)compared to new iPad.

post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCopyrighter View Post


Are you sure? because in the teardown I saw that iPad 4G and Mini use the same codec chip. Yes I know implementation does matter but still?

I am as fan boy from I device product already tested before I bought and I love the audio SQ from I device since 2004. 

That's audio SQ from iPad mini is not as good compare to iPad 3 and iPad 4.

post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCopyrighter View Post


Are you sure? because in the teardown I saw that iPad 4G and Mini use the same codec chip. Yes I know implementation does matter but still?

 

Codec chip sets a limit for performance, not the performance itself. 

post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
Thanks guys. I guess I'll play with them in the store to find out which one suits me.
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuttle View Post

 

Codec chip sets a limit for performance, not the performance itself. 

Wait a minute. I have a Wolfson DAC chip in one drawer and a Sabre in another. The Sabre drawer is definetly better.tongue_smile.gif

post #13 of 13
Does mini support 24 bit? With cck kit?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › iPad Mini vs The New iPad (4G)