I'm looking for a second set of headsets to complement my HE-400s, driven by a Fostex HP-A7, and am trying to decide between the new Audio-Technica AD2000X and the Shure 1840. Mostly I listen to classical and jazz, but also a fair amount of vocals, male and female. Am looking for versatility, but basically good mid-range and neutrality. I have some store credit in Tokyo, so I can get a good price on either. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance--
- productAudio-Technica AIR Dynamic Headphone ATH-AD2000X (Japan Import)tagged by nightmancometh, 12/16/13
- productShure SRH1840 Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 12/16/13
Related Forum Threads
- Shure SRH1840 vs ATH-AD2000x for classical? Last post on 9/23/13 at 5:04am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- List of Good High-end Headphone Stores in Switzerland Last post on 3/24/15 at 6:04am in Headphones (full-size)
- WTT: Sennheiser HD600 for your Fidelio X2 or SRH1440/1840 Last post on 1/28/15 at 7:32am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Audio Technica ATH-AD2000X Last post on 2/2/15 at 10:33pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- Looking to buy headphones, around 300. Last post on 2/9/15 at 1:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
I do not own this unit – I had this unit from @fnkcow With Impedance of 320ohm this earbuds need a good amp to show its worth. I use my phone during my first listen to the zen and it sounds...
Cayin C5DAC: A Deadly Challenger in the Portable Market *Please click on the photos for the highest quality. [[SPOILER]] About me & IntroductionI am a student who is a music...
Me: am an amateur musician & avid admirer of music from India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
I bought these on Geekbuying after a considerable price drop to about $16 USD. Having missed out on the hype for the Piston 2, I decided to pick up the Piston 3 instead. The other bang-for-buck IEM...
My WA5-LE is by far the most expensive component in my system, but I can see why. The moment I un-packaged this very heavy piece of kit, I could tell I was in for a ride. By size alone it...
ATH AD2000X vs. SRH1840
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Thanks for the 2 replies--in the end, a windfall of store credit took me to the HD700s, but am still curious about both headphones which run about US$550 in Tokyo, The 1840s are just priced lower here, and the AD2000X just dropped in price. I'm broke now, but still keeping an eye on both. The 1840s were incredibly comfortable, and sounded nice in the limited chances I had to listen.
Don't know about 1840, but AD2000X has very attractive female vocal, I was listening to AD1000X in a headphone shop and started to wonder how good the flagship would sound, and AD2000X indeed sounded like a straight upgrade to AD1000X, I was listening to "Only Winter" by Halie Loren ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmmxnryVRhc ) and I was really immersed into her lively voice.
Sorry that I am not good at describing sound. I think it's definitely safer for you to do an audition yourself.
I was surprised that AD2000X was very easy to drive, I connected it directly to my DAP S:Flo 2, I knew it could have a much better performance if I had paired it with a good amp but the sound it produced through the phone out of my S:Flo 2 was already a brand new music experience to me.
I've owned both, but never compared them directly. The SRH1840 is more comfortable for sure, but the AD2000X is the better sounding of the two. Maybe because I prefer a more engaging sound, and the shure's are more laid back. Both are still overpriced @ $500 (but then, so is the HD700 IMO).
Not to derail the thread, but the HD700's peaky treble kills it for me. I've whined quite a bit in the HD700 thread so I'll stop now. Though if it didn't have the spikes I think I would prefer it the most of the three headphones mentioned here.
- ATH AD2000X vs. SRH1840
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Tung Sol 6f8g versions 3 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 50 seconds ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 52 seconds ago
- › ZMF Omni - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship 1 minute ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (5/31/2015: Beyer COP+ and... 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › [TOUR] Cayin N6 - DAP Australian / New Zealand Tour Impressions 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD600 & Ultrasone HFI 780 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 3 minutes ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 4 minutes ago
- › VE Zen by boneofimba
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by xkonfuzed
- › TCG Audio TRD3+ Desktop HeadAmp & 32/384DAC by YoYo JoKeR
- › Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 in-ear headphones by FYLegend
- › Woo Audio WA5 LE by Nosbig
- › RHA T20 by nmatheis
- › Microsoft Lumia 435 UNLOCKED Windows Phone 8 WP8 2G GSM... by mark2410
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Pokemonn
- › CustomArt Ei.3 acrylic custom IEM by Cotnijoe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by ActiveTechREV
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)