Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Step above mid fi
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Step above mid fi - Page 7

post #91 of 126

That is a turn-off transient and isn't harmful.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

 

This should not happen with any amplifier... 

And this is completely wrong, sorry. First of all it depends on the circuitry of the amp.

 

Secondly, many high-end dollar amplifier designers believe that said relays are detrimental to the SQ of an amp.

And so they run without 'em. However proper procedure is also a known thing, where as with cheaper products such as Schiit, etc,

such 101 basics may not be known.

post #92 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

That is a turn-off transient and isn't harmful.

 

 

And this is completely wrong, sorry. First of all it depends on the circuitry of the amp.

 

Secondly, many high-end dollar amplifier designers believe that said relays are detrimental to the SQ of an amp.

And so they run without 'em. However proper procedure is also a known thing, where as with cheaper products such as Schiit, etc,

such 101 basics may not be known.

 

All I know is that it's not safe to output 6W to headphones at all... And it's not needed either. Have you seen Benchmark or Fostex to build headphone amps with several Wats output? These are professional manufacturers that provide us with reliable and technically excellent products... Not so true about these "audiophile the moah-power the better" brands like Schiit etc. Have you read something on how much power is really needed and what to expect with overpowering your headphones?

 

After reading about Schiit amps damaging headphones, I thought they managed to fix it... However, with today's feedback from Dgiant, my interest in Schiit products is equal zero.


Edited by RustA - 2/19/13 at 4:29pm
post #93 of 126

I think the OP did the right move.

The driver distorsion shown in the video should not be considered to be normal operation and is definitely not a sign of 'quality' in my book, but to each his own.

If your amps display the same behavior, I'd also advise you to return them, but I doubt your O2 does that.

post #94 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

That is a turn-off transient and isn't harmful.

 

 

And this is completely wrong, sorry. First of all it depends on the circuitry of the amp.

 

Secondly, many high-end dollar amplifier designers believe that said relays are detrimental to the SQ of an amp.

And so they run without 'em. However proper procedure is also a known thing, where as with cheaper products such as Schiit, etc,

such 101 basics may not be known.

 

All I know is that it's not safe to output 6W to headphones at all... And it's not needed either. Have you seen Benchmark or Fostex to build headphone amps with several Wats output? Have you read something on how much power is really needed and what to expect with overpowering your headphones?

 

After reading about Schiit amps damaging headphones, I thought they managed to fix it... However, with today's feedback from Dgiant, my interest in Schiit products is equal zero.

So, what do you say about people using the HE-6 with power amps or recievers? 

post #95 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

So, what do you say about people using the HE-6 with power amps or recievers? 

 

HE-6 is a specific case because of their extremely low efficiency... However, I do not share the philosophy that you have to output tens of wats per channel to HE-6 in order to "get the best out of them". You just have to output a little more than normal.

 

There seem to be several enthusiasts who think that HE-6 are better than everything, and those people really like to spread the word here, creating some sort of "consensus" that more power, the better... But in reality, I can name a lot of pro audio websites that do not rate HE-6 very high.

 

In reality, I can spot the same amount of people who think that K701 are better than HD800... It's really nothing unusual to have different opinions. But I do not see it as a real consensus that overdriving HE-6 with a speaker-amps somehow magically transforms those headphones into "god mode". Some people just like distortion...


Edited by RustA - 2/19/13 at 4:37pm
post #96 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

 

All I know is that it's not safe to output 6W to headphones at all... And it's not needed either. Have you seen Benchmark or Fostex to build headphone amps with several Wats output? These are professional manufacturers that provide us with reliable and technically excellent products... Not so true about these "audiophile the moah-power the better" brands like Schiit etc. Have you read something on how much power is really needed and what to expect with overpowering your headphones?

 

After reading about Schiit amps damaging headphones, I thought they managed to fix it... However, with today's feedback from Dgiant, my interest in Schiit products is equal zero.

Wow. The Lyr does not put out 6W at all times. rolleyes.gif Furthermore, that was a blanket statement. Try the HE-6 out sometime. 

 

So what you're getting at is, well, er, all Schiit products are overkill for all headphones...

 

Frankly, you don't know what you're talking about. And that is the problem here.

 

You can have 0 interest in Schiit products, however keep quiet with your blanket statements and ignorant knowledge of their products and design.

 

Once again, turn-off transients are normal. And once again, for those who do not know. It is not proper headphone101 to turn your amps on or turn them off with headphones plugged in with the Schiit Lyr.


Edited by paradoxper - 2/19/13 at 4:40pm
post #97 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

 

HE-6 is a specific case because of their extremely low efficiency... However, I do not share the philosophy that you have to output tens of wats per channel to HE-6 in order to "get the best out of them". You just have to output a little more than normal.

 

There seem to be several enthusiasts who thinks HE-6 are better than everything, and those people really like to spread the word here, creating some sort of "consensus" that more power, the better... But in reality, I can name a lot of pro audio websites that do not rate HE-6 very high.

 

In reality, I can spot the same amount of people who thinks that K701 are better than HD800... It's really nothing unusual to have different opinions. But I do not see it as a real consensus that overdriving HE-6 with a speaker-amps somehow magically transforms those headphones into "god mode".

Right, so now your backtracking.

 

Ortho's are low efficiency cans. Some more than others. The Lyr was built for these.

 

By your logic, any speaker amp should ruin any ortho. Because 6W is too absurd, let alone 125W, etc.

post #98 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

So, what do you say about people using the HE-6 with power amps or recievers? 

 

HE-6 is a specific case because of their extremely low efficiency... However, I do not share the philosophy that you have to output tens of wats per channel to HE-6 in order to "get the best out of them". You just have to output a little more than normal.

 

There seem to be several enthusiasts who think that HE-6 are better than everything, and those people really like to spread the word here, creating some sort of "consensus" that more power, the better... But in reality, I can name a lot of pro audio websites that do not rate HE-6 very high.

 

In reality, I can spot the same amount of people who think that K701 are better than HD800... It's really nothing unusual to have different opinions. But I do not see it as a real consensus that overdriving HE-6 with a speaker-amps somehow magically transforms those headphones into "god mode". Some people just like distortion...

Did I ever say that the HE-6 is better then every other headphone?rolleyes.gif I was simply creating a statement that the HE-6 is BETTER with a power amp or a reciever.. Jeez. Also, to the K701 are better than the HD800, of course people have opinions. Some think the DJ100 is the best headphone ever made.

post #99 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Right, so now your backtracking.

 

Ortho's are low efficiency cans. Some more than others. The Lyr was built for these.

 

By your logic, any speaker amp should ruin any ortho. Because 6W is too absurd, let alone 125W, etc.

 

By my logic, any speaker amp is not going to offer you a more transparent, or higher fidelity sound in comparison to quality headphone amplifier with reasonable output... Only more distortion and higher risk of permanent damage.

 

By the way, no issue with powering LCD-2 with O2 on unity gain... I can even give you a link to proper calculation about how much current is needed in order to properly power them. And yes, several W are pretty useless.


Edited by RustA - 2/19/13 at 4:44pm
post #100 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

Right, so now your backtracking.

 

Ortho's are low efficiency cans. Some more than others. The Lyr was built for these.

 

By your logic, any speaker amp should ruin any ortho. Because 6W is too absurd, let alone 125W, etc.

 

By my logic, any speaker amp is not going to offer you a more transparent, or higher fidelity sound in comparison to quality headphone amplifier with reasonable output... Only more distortion and higher risk of permanent damage.

Right, so you've compared a HE-6 with a power amp then with a regular amp, I presume? 

post #101 of 126

My last post here, to the OP:

 

I would advise to try desktop version of O2/ODAC, or maybe Yulong D100, Dacmini, ... I think there are several good options!

post #102 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

My last post here, to the OP:

 

I would advise to try desktop version of O2/ODAC, or maybe Yulong D100, Dacmini, ... I think there are several good options!

Yep, thats what I thought.

post #103 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustA View Post

 

By my logic, any speaker amp is not going to offer you a more transparent, or higher fidelity sound in comparison to quality headphone amplifier with reasonable output... Only more distortion and higher risk of permanent damage.

 

By the way, no issue with powering LCD-2 with O2 on unity gain... I can even give you a link to proper calculation about how much current is needed in order to properly power them. And yes, several W are pretty useless.

That is IYO,

 

My simple retort would be is this all what you surmise, but something you havent' experimented with?

 

You don't need a link to "proper calculation" it's simple math. 

 

You say several W are pretty useless. Fine.

 

Previously you said: 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustA View Post

 

All I know is that it's not safe to output 6W to headphones at all...

 

 

 

 

All I know is your comments seem all over the place. 

 

 

 

I'll leave you to it. 

post #104 of 126
Thread Starter 
Wow, didn't expect so many answer and controversy lol. I think that I will be heading down solid state territory because the relay is a bit discerning to me. Would spending extra 2 hundred for the Burson ha 160 be worth it? Or what else under 600 should I get?
post #105 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgiant View Post

Wow, didn't expect so many answer and controversy lol. I think that I will be heading down solid state territory because the relay is a bit discerning to me. Would spending extra 2 hundred for the Burson ha 160 be worth it? Or what else under 600 should I get?

Really? Your actually returning it? There is no reason to do so.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Step above mid fi