- 174 Posts. Joined 10/2011
- Select All Posts By This User
- productDenon AH-D5000 Reference Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 1/16/15
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by nightmancometh, 1/16/15
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 1/16/15
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by nightmancometh, 1/16/15
- productSchiit Valhallatagged by nightmancometh, 1/16/15
Related Forum Threads
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 1/9/14 at 1:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones + amp + DAC ~$2500 Last post on 7/11/13 at 4:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- What are the best clear sounding headphones? Last post on 10/8/12 at 8:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project Last post on Yesterday at 3:17 am in Headphones (full-size)
Package & Build: FiiO X3 comes in a nice box with adapter and micro USB cable, as well as a nice soft silicone sleeve to protect the player. It is built very nicely, has some retro touch to it...
Step above mid fi
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Have you considered going ortho? You can get a really nice rig for $2k.
Especially if you go with something like the HE-500, that'd free up quite a bit of money for the rest of the chain.
You could just get a pair of he400 and get great bass from an ortho and just keep the current amp/dac. Or...
lcd2.2 plus lyr and odac would be seriously good!! With this budget there are lot's of options. This would give you other worldly bass...textured and layered with true visceral punch.
Of course, any suggestions are appreciated. I've been looking at the audeze LCD 2.2 hifiman he500 and even the KOSS ESP
If the weight doesn't bother you, I'd go for the lcd2.2 with bamboo. The bamboo is a bit lighter and looks great!! I think it will give you what you're looking for.
It only seems to impact the weight (though tbh not hugely different in weight to me when on my head). I have tried both and noticed no sound difference, and that is pretty much the unanimous consensus. There are some sound differences between revisions, but other than that they seem pretty consistent ( some that believe in the whole cable myth( : ) ) think the new flat cables sound worse than the older revision cables or than with aftermarket ones though *shrugs*. The rosewood cans are a bit of a gamble on looks, with most looking mediocre to slightly bad even though there are a few REALLY beautiful ones lurking around here and there. The bamboo is much more consistent though I think some still look a bit nicer. That I like the look is subjective though and there seems to be a bit of a split on this too so whatever. It is worth noting the bamboos will be easier to get a hld of as well.
Also, consider the vegan ear-pads. I was lucky enough to try a bamboo with vegans and rosewood with lambskin, and the weight didn't bother me at all on either of them ( perhaps because I've played football for 12 years and was used to helmets etc?). And though they are large cans, they are a bit smaller in person than you will be led to believe if you haven't seen them ( i.e. not crazy big or heavy). You can feel them on your head due to pressure but it is barely noticeable. Both the lambskin and vegan were comfortable to me, but the Vegan seemed more so and cooler ( general consensus here as well). Since I wear glasses I decided on the Vegan myself. There are one or two people that say that the bass etc might be slightly worse, but their are also like usual people who think it sounds better with vegan. But the vast majority notice no sound difference whatsoever( and the vegans are definitely more comfortable for me).
At any rate, the lcd-2 is a sexy can and I'm loving mine, even with relatively inexpensive amps and dacs in the 3-500 dollar range.
Edited by richie22182 - 2/4/13 at 12:46pm
The crack is great. There are a couple for sale used here on the forums. But...for my money I'd go with the Schitt lyr and a nice set of tubes. It would pair wonderfully with the lcd2 and many other hp's for that matter.
Let me mention I'm running the Audeze LCD2 Bamboo through the Lyr currently until I upgrade my amplifier and it sounds absolutely euphoric. You can shoot higher than I was able to with an amplifier, and I imagine it'll be even better then.
I'm just not in a financial position to make the upgrade yet.
That being said, Let me point out that I personally don't understand why so many people complain about the weight or the comfort. I prefer the Audeze in terms of comfort from every headphone I have outside of the Sony XB series. (Though I don't have an extremely expansive collection at the moment).
- Step above mid fi
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 53 seconds ago
- › The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New) 1 minute ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 1 minute ago
- › Orthodynamic Roundup 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Stax Thread III 2 minutes ago
- › The Opamp thread 2 minutes ago
- › [Introduced on 15-1-2015 ] The Mi Headphones by Xiaomi (1 Review in... 3 minutes ago
- › Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead 4 minutes ago
- › WA7 Fireflies vs Wa22 for TH900 4 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by Tail
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Airwin
- › Shure SRH1540 Headphones by Rogerlabarrie
- › HIFIMAN RE300h Earphone - Audiophile Earbud by conquerator2
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by Donnyboy98
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by cuiter23
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by moodyrn
- › AKG K551 Closed-Back Reference Class Headset with Mic (Black/Silver) by GL1TCH3D
- › JVC HAM55X High Quality Xtreme-Xplosvs Headphones by Thoft208
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by musikaladin
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3