- 174 Posts. Joined 10/2011
- Select All Posts By This User
- productDenon AH-D5000 Reference Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 1/16/15
- productHiFiMAN HE-400tagged by nightmancometh, 1/16/15
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 1/16/15
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by nightmancometh, 1/16/15
- productSchiit Valhallatagged by nightmancometh, 1/16/15
Related Forum Threads
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 1/9/14 at 1:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Looking for a good $800~ budget setup. Last post on 2/11/14 at 7:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones + amp + DAC ~$2500 Last post on 7/11/13 at 4:47am in Headphones (full-size)
- What are the best clear sounding headphones? Last post on 10/8/12 at 8:35pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X A-100) Project Last post on 4/5/15 at 11:31am in Headphones (full-size)
I will leave the technical speak and unboxing play-by-play to the reviews that are already here, done by people who do a much better job than I can currently manage. Just know that the iDSD Micro...
Ok, I've had these for a while now and decided to leave some feedback on these. First thing, the sound from these IEM's (earphones) are nothing short of excellent with a few minor dislikes. At...
I purchased a Bakoon HPA-01 off Massdrop for around $1200 (it is normally around $1700 retail) due to the reputation of Bakoon Japan for making stunning amps. The HPA-01 is from Bakoon Korea,...
It would be impossible to replicate my first impressions of the Pioneer Superior Club Sound in-ear headphone series. As such, if you’d like my initial reaction, check out myPioneer SE-CX9 review....
Intro/Setup The on-ear open-back design is not a very popular segment. I suspect most overlook this category largely because of the lack of isolation compared to the many closed-back...
Step above mid fi
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Have you considered going ortho? You can get a really nice rig for $2k.
Especially if you go with something like the HE-500, that'd free up quite a bit of money for the rest of the chain.
You could just get a pair of he400 and get great bass from an ortho and just keep the current amp/dac. Or...
lcd2.2 plus lyr and odac would be seriously good!! With this budget there are lot's of options. This would give you other worldly bass...textured and layered with true visceral punch.
Of course, any suggestions are appreciated. I've been looking at the audeze LCD 2.2 hifiman he500 and even the KOSS ESP
If the weight doesn't bother you, I'd go for the lcd2.2 with bamboo. The bamboo is a bit lighter and looks great!! I think it will give you what you're looking for.
It only seems to impact the weight (though tbh not hugely different in weight to me when on my head). I have tried both and noticed no sound difference, and that is pretty much the unanimous consensus. There are some sound differences between revisions, but other than that they seem pretty consistent ( some that believe in the whole cable myth( : ) ) think the new flat cables sound worse than the older revision cables or than with aftermarket ones though *shrugs*. The rosewood cans are a bit of a gamble on looks, with most looking mediocre to slightly bad even though there are a few REALLY beautiful ones lurking around here and there. The bamboo is much more consistent though I think some still look a bit nicer. That I like the look is subjective though and there seems to be a bit of a split on this too so whatever. It is worth noting the bamboos will be easier to get a hld of as well.
Also, consider the vegan ear-pads. I was lucky enough to try a bamboo with vegans and rosewood with lambskin, and the weight didn't bother me at all on either of them ( perhaps because I've played football for 12 years and was used to helmets etc?). And though they are large cans, they are a bit smaller in person than you will be led to believe if you haven't seen them ( i.e. not crazy big or heavy). You can feel them on your head due to pressure but it is barely noticeable. Both the lambskin and vegan were comfortable to me, but the Vegan seemed more so and cooler ( general consensus here as well). Since I wear glasses I decided on the Vegan myself. There are one or two people that say that the bass etc might be slightly worse, but their are also like usual people who think it sounds better with vegan. But the vast majority notice no sound difference whatsoever( and the vegans are definitely more comfortable for me).
At any rate, the lcd-2 is a sexy can and I'm loving mine, even with relatively inexpensive amps and dacs in the 3-500 dollar range.
Edited by richie22182 - 2/4/13 at 12:46pm
The crack is great. There are a couple for sale used here on the forums. But...for my money I'd go with the Schitt lyr and a nice set of tubes. It would pair wonderfully with the lcd2 and many other hp's for that matter.
Let me mention I'm running the Audeze LCD2 Bamboo through the Lyr currently until I upgrade my amplifier and it sounds absolutely euphoric. You can shoot higher than I was able to with an amplifier, and I imagine it'll be even better then.
I'm just not in a financial position to make the upgrade yet.
That being said, Let me point out that I personally don't understand why so many people complain about the weight or the comfort. I prefer the Audeze in terms of comfort from every headphone I have outside of the Sony XB series. (Though I don't have an extremely expansive collection at the moment).
- Step above mid fi
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 4 seconds ago
- › VE - A New and Impressive Earbuds Brand 28 seconds ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 36 seconds ago
- › SF Bay Area Meet impressions (May 2, 2015) 51 seconds ago
- › Denon AHM-M400 1 minute ago
- › The Answer to $400 Smooth & Warm Headphones 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon Now Available 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 3 minutes ago
- › Have you ever heard sound coming from the front with headphones. 4 minutes ago
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by knorris908
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by interpolate
- › Bakoon HPA-01 by Currawong
- › Pioneer SE-CX8-T Headphone, Bright Copper by Luckbad
- › Sennheiser HD 239 Headphones Black by rigodeni
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by twister6
- › Signature Acoustics O16 Live by kova4a
- › Sennheiser HD 428 Headphones by rensin
- › JVC HAF14B - Gumy Earbud Headphones by LuigiSound
- › Grado SR80i Headphones by Pirakaphile
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2