Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! - Page 158

post #2356 of 2936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

Yeah, for all those portable audio devices that support .wav... >_>

wav doesn't support tags either right?  I'd prefer flac which is lossless as well but, when I convert to mp3 the mp3 retains the tags so i only have to do the tagging once.  

post #2357 of 2936
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post


 

wav doesn't support tags either right?  I'd prefer flac which is lossless as well but, when I convert to mp3 the mp3 retains the tags so i only have to do the tagging once.


*.wav supports tags if you have the file on your computer and only on your computer, but those tags do not transfer when you copy that file onto another device like a portable player. That's my experience, anyway. Using Foobar's file rename function, once you have your metadata exactly the way you want it would make those files still searchable without tags or retrieve tags from the filename, but it's not exactly ideal.


 

Both Apple and Microsoft have their own lossless codecs (ALAC & WMA Lossless), which support tags and which can be recognised by each company's standard media players. But for portables? Even in these modern days, it's very much worth checking if they will support those formats before you lay your money down.


 

FLAC is excellent and extensively taggable, but I think you still need to hack iTunes and WMP before they'll even detect the format, let alone play it.

post #2358 of 2936
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalJoey View Post
 


*.wav supports tags if you have the file on your computer and only on your computer, but those tags do not transfer when you copy that file onto another device like a portable player. That's my experience, anyway. Using Foobar's file rename function, once you have your metadata exactly the way you want it would make those files still searchable without tags or retrieve tags from the filename, but it's not exactly ideal.


 

Both Apple and Microsoft have their own lossless codecs (ALAC & WMA Lossless), which support tags and which can be recognised by each company's standard media players. But for portables? Even in these modern days, it's very much worth checking if they will support those formats before you lay your money down.


 

FLAC is excellent and extensively taggable, but I think you still need to hack iTunes and WMP before they'll even detect the format, let alone play it.

And what about those crazy people like me who haven't touched windows or a mac in years and se linux exclusviely?   I also only use rockbox mp3 players or android phones.  Personally I use my mp3 player when I'm playing fifa or in the back of a car, or while taking a leisurerly walk. Until someone convinces me otherwise I'm sticking to 320 mp3s

post #2359 of 2936
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post

 

And what about those crazy people like me who haven't touched windows or a mac in years and se linux exclusviely?   I also only use rockbox mp3 players or android phones.  Personally I use my mp3 player when I'm playing fifa or in the back of a car, or while taking a leisurerly walk. Until someone convinces me otherwise I'm sticking to 320 mp3s


Linux and other open source stuff is an admirable thing which drives computing forward in many ways, but is used by a tiny minority of the total market.

post #2360 of 2936
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post

And what about those crazy people like me who haven't touched windows or a mac in years and se linux exclusviely?   I also only use rockbox mp3 players or android phones.  Personally I use my mp3 player when I'm playing fifa or in the back of a car, or while taking a leisurerly walk. Until someone convinces me otherwise I'm sticking to 320 mp3s

I'd use Linux exclusively as my main OS if the game support was better, but Valve seems to be changing that. When I do use Linux I use Clementine music player, I don't know if it plays FLAC but I only use 320 MP3s.
post #2361 of 2936
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor5cl View Post


I'd use Linux exclusively as my main OS if the game support was better, but Valve seems to be changing that. When I do use Linux I use Clementine music player, I don't know if it plays FLAC but I only use 320 MP3s.


Looks like Clementine supports FLAC, from what I can see.

post #2362 of 2936

When the position of your headphones on your head is more important than your haircut.

post #2363 of 2936
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightwithdogma View Post

When the position of your headphones on your head is more important than your haircut.

Or when you cut your hair so you could get better seal biggrin.gif
post #2364 of 2936

...when you rely on the in-line microphone to pick up what family members say to you while you wear your headphones!

post #2365 of 2936
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantt1 View Post
 

YKYAAW you judge audio equipment for what they are; not what everyone else says about it, then make your own decisions about whether it is good or bad in your opinion disregarding other's opinion and not forcing your own ideals onto others and not letting others force their ideals onto you...?


...and when you judge another person by the headphones he or she keeps.

post #2366 of 2936
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayandjohn View Post

...when you rely on the in-line microphone to pick up what family members say to you while you wear your headphones!
Do you use etymotic awareness?
post #2367 of 2936
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayandjohn View Post
 

...when you rely on the in-line microphone to pick up what family members say to you while you wear your headphones!

When you wish you had time to learn to read on lips, just so you won't have to put your headphones off ever again.

post #2368 of 2936

When you get your LCD2s in the mail but you're afraid to try them because of how bad your allergies are.  That's me right now.

post #2369 of 2936
YKYAA when you love your headphones more than you love some of your friends..
post #2370 of 2936

YKYAA when you look at comic books and get angry that there's no superhero called Headphoneman.
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!