Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! - Page 137

post #2041 of 2918

People still use wallets these days?

 

True story: I'm downtown coming out of a show and a homeless guy comes up asking for money. Random dude next to me pats his empty pockets and shrugs and says (quite seriously): got paypal?

post #2042 of 2918
We use cans like others invest in fine wines or gold.
post #2043 of 2918
Is being an audiophile such a crappy life?
I was having an argument about how audiophiles "waste money" and was defending the headifiers. My friend asked me why I couldn't just use $5 buds and then it went downhill...
post #2044 of 2918
That's happened to me many a time, also the fact I use brands that "no one has ever heard of"(Yamaha, Beyerdynamic).
post #2045 of 2918
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor5cl View Post

That's happened to me many a time, also the fact I use brands that "no one has ever heard of"(Yamaha, Beyerdynamic).

No one has ever heard of Beyerdynamic?

My argument then turned into something very long. Blah blah headphones don't lose value quickly Blah blah audiophiles don't waste money blah blah non-audiophiles don't
Understand............
post #2046 of 2918
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutDeflector View Post


No one has ever heard of Beyerdynamic?

My argument then turned into something very long. Blah blah headphones don't lose value quickly Blah blah audiophiles don't waste money blah blah non-audiophiles don't
Understand............

 

It's true actually, not most, but ALL of my non-audiophile friends never heard of Beyers, AKG, Stax, Audeze etc.

 

They are aware on the existence of Sennheiser, but they don't know Senn makes high-end cans. In fact, they don't know there is such a thing as high-end cans.

post #2047 of 2918
When... You hang out in a forum where you read posts about 2 difference digital media (same series of bits..) sound different!!!!!!!!

Lol wink.gif
post #2048 of 2918
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62ohm View Post

It's true actually, not most, but ALL of my non-audiophile friends never heard of Beyers, AKG, Stax, Audeze etc.

They are aware on the existence of Sennheiser, but they don't know Senn makes high-end cans. In fact, they don't know there is such a thing as high-end cans.

My friends really don't know anything about audio... Sad, sad.
post #2049 of 2918

BTW the friend I was arguing with asked why I spend so much on audio.

 

He did have Beats Pros ($400 as a gift from his mom) so I'm confused...

My Audio-Technica ath-M35 are $140 regular price but on Amazon for $70.

 

They did seem like fakes. He said they were all plastic (Fake?) and were blue (Fake?).

I saw them, to but never got to closely inspect 'em.

 

He also said, "You said Beast were the worst?!?!" (I didn't straight up say it! I said I disliked them!)

He continued to say, "I love my Pros!".

 

I then didn't reply...

 

Before that though, he was in a debate about if you rather buy a car or headphones for $1,000.

I of course said headphones. (HD 600s, here I come!)

 

He of course said the opposite.

 

I told him "Cars lose value faster than headphones."

 

He said "That's not true!"

 

I said "It's a fact!"


He denied.


I basically roared loud enough to significantly mess-up the frequency response of an HD 800.

 

Then it got to the audiophiles don't waste money part then the Beats part.

 

Ahhhhhhhhhhh..........Non-Audiophiles...................They don't Understand us.......

 

My other friends do know a little about audio. ( A balanced headphone from a bassy one. )

 

One is almost an audiophile. Almost. (We were talking about M50s one day)  


Edited by DonutDeflector - 2/11/14 at 6:12pm
post #2050 of 2918
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutDeflector View Post

 

Before that though, he was in a debate about if you rather buy a car or headphones for $1,000.

I of course said headphones. (HD 600s, here I come!)

 

He of course said the opposite.

 

 

A $1k car is almost for sure going to be a money sink unless you're your own mechanic, and will likely have no resale value unless you again put money into it.

 

A $1k headphone rig without headfi will give you years of enjoyment and musical bliss, and if you bought used will probably have decent resale value afterwards.

 

A $1k headphone rig with headfi will send you into an uncontrollable spiral as you rotate out components one after the other, creeping up the price ladder in increments because you can fool yourself that way even though you know better. Resale value? Hah! All that matters is trading up into the next tier.

 

TL;DR... log out, put your wallet in the freezer, and buy a bus pass :rolleyes:

post #2051 of 2918
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutDeflector View Post

 

Before that though, he was in a debate about if you rather buy a car or headphones for $1,000.

I of course said headphones. (HD 600s, here I come!)

 

He of course said the opposite.

It sounds like he wants to buy something for target practice. Hunks of metal do a pretty good job at sitting around.

post #2052 of 2918
If I had $1000, I might consider buying a car, but only because I don't have a car, but I do have some good cans. I know a few people who are nearly Head-Fiers, they know Beats suck and they know a few good cans like M50s, but in my class its mostly not even Beats, its cheap £4 buds from a petrol station or something appalling like that.
post #2053 of 2918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post
 

 

A $1k car is almost for sure going to be a money sink unless you're your own mechanic, and will likely have no resale value unless you again put money into it.

 

A $1k headphone rig without headfi will give you years of enjoyment and musical bliss, and if you bought used will probably have decent resale value afterwards.

 

A $1k headphone rig with headfi will send you into an uncontrollable spiral as you rotate out components one after the other, creeping up the price ladder in increments because you can fool yourself that way even though you know better. Resale value? Hah! All that matters is trading up into the next tier.

 

haha xD too true! too true! Here in Brunei, used car value depends on the total distance drove, not year, surprisingly! but they do drop really fast! Most of them here rather get a new Toyota Vios instead.

 

If I have $1k, I will invest half on portable rig and half on reference rig xD I can't drive yet xD

 

YKYAAW you come here more often than visiting your book and studying xD 

post #2054 of 2918
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post
 

haha xD too true! too true! Here in Brunei, used car value depends on the total distance drove, not year, surprisingly! but they do drop really fast! Most of them here rather get a new Toyota Vios instead.

 

If I have $1k, I will invest half on portable rig and half on reference rig xD I can't drive yet xD

 

YKYAAW you come here more often than visiting your book and studying xD 

 

If I have $1k, WA2 here I come :p

 

Well, it's $1.2k, but close enough I guess..

 

 

YKYAAW you spare special time to check Head-Fi every morning.

post #2055 of 2918
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsonChang007 View Post

 

If I have $1k, I will invest half on portable rig and half on reference rig xD I can't drive yet xD

Now that is a good way to do it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!