As above, will i notice a difference between the two? (apart from no balanced outs) I currently have the Lavry and am looking to get the Metrum
- productLavry DA11tagged by System, 3/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- How Does Lavry DA11 Compare to Newer DACs? Last post on 6/5/14 at 5:44am in Dedicated Source Components
- FS: Lavry DA11 MINT CONDITIONS Last post on 2/20/14 at 9:27pm in Source Components For Sale / Trade
- Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma kinda sucks, just to get you to think about stuff) Last post on 7/28/15 at 8:25am in Dedicated Source Components
- FS: Lavry DA11 Like New [Final PRICE DROPPED] Last post on 4/25/14 at 10:54pm in Source Components For Sale / Trade
- Wanna a system with headphone and DAC AMP use on laptop Last post on 9/12/13 at 11:03am in Headphones (full-size)
Noble BTS Review by HiFiChris Preamble: Before I start with my actual review, I want to thank Noble Audio and especially Brannan Mason for providing me with a sample of the BTS for my...
Head-Fi, Fiio X5 and me I came out of my lurking in January 2014 to join Head-Fi, I was looking for a DAP to replace my Creative Zen X-Fi's whose display had a 'black ink' spreading...
Foreword: I'm a production manager, but focus mostly on sound engineering. I install and tune a lot of P.A equipment, and also mix live acts in : - live venues, - concert halls, - bars, and -...
For me, they are the best ever. Maybe someday i'll listen to something 'better'? Well, we'll see. PD: The Highs can bother some people with their 2k and 8-9k peaks. For me it's fine, but it's...
In terms of design it is good looking and cofortable. Usb is meaningless to me, my laptops built-in sound card is better sounding than that usb. G430 sounds bad and unnatural, it shoud be better at...
Lavry DA11 vs Metrum Octave
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
How are you going to connect so much gear to a DAC with only one output? What bothers you about the Lavry?
When I did research before buying my Metrum Octave, I searched for the most transparent DAC - Metrum Octave is one of those.
Octave is very clean, but not fatiguing at all, indeed.
Just got the metrum. a little background:
using a rotel 971 before getting a benchmark DAC1. i connected the output from cdplayer as well as output of benchmark to my amp so that i could switch and do A/B comparison. Sold the DAC1. the 971 dac did a better job. better in terms translating the soul of the music that one can feel more connected and enjoy the music. benchmark had more details but sounded dead. A/B comparison made me stick to rotel as the music were more involving. (when working and listening, rotel makes me want to stop and increase vol to enjoy some songs. benchmark makes me want to decrease the music as they distract)
when i got the metrum, i did the same. signal fed from cd, no upsampling etc. with rotel, i tend to skip songs that are faster and with more instruments as after awhile they sounded clustered. For metrum, i listen to them all and enjoyed the different instruments in the music. separation was improved and music remains coherent. When it comes to vocals, i couldnt stop listening to them. For metrum, many occasions i just want to sit back and enjoy the music without doing any work (you may consider this 1 weakness of metrum, makes you lazy.) when playing with my kids in the living room, i could also leave the metrum playing and dont find the music noisy.
simply said, the metrum make music feel like music, for the purpose of enjoyment...the w4s usb spif converter is on the way...wonder what will happen when 192khz files are fed to it.
love the metrum.
It gives me shivers competing with my Naim CDP so well that it scares me. Ok, Naim cdx2 sounds more organically rich and full timbre but boy i was not expecting this little gizmo to come close to mega buck player. What amazes me the most is how relaxed and smooth this NOS DAC sounds, almost vinyl like.
a true Gem for hard core audiophile, could not wish for more and it saves me some pennies which otherwise would had to be spent on Naim or Weiss DACs. :-)
Kudos to Cees of Metrum who created this musical instrument, highly recommended to anyone who wants go back to live like musical reproduction.
and remember, Octave is big sucker for tube amplifiers, tubes make Octave sound godly :-D
Edited by Gintaras - 6/5/13 at 12:28pm
- Lavry DA11 vs Metrum Octave
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Need an IEM With Little to No Siund Leakage 20 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 45 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › FiiO Releases EX1 Aerospace Nanotech Titanium Diaphragm IEMs 2 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 2 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 3 minutes ago
- › Is there no flagship for "fun" headphones that has the 3D... 3 minutes ago
- › micro to mini usb otg cable 3 minutes ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio BTS by HiFiChris
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Cagin
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by White Lotus
- › Etymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphones by ElMarcado
- › G430 Gaming Headset by Gonomon
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-80 by Gonomon
- › MSB Analog by negura
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by kar13
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM by YoYo JoKeR
- › Ultrasone Edition 5 unlimited by hechlok
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3