Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Review: Fiio E12 (comparison to C&C BH + JDS Labs O2 + JDS Labs C421)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Fiio E12 (comparison to C&C BH + JDS Labs O2 + JDS Labs C421) - Page 10

post #136 of 232
Awaiting delivery of mine, will follow up once I have it to play with.
post #137 of 232
Just got my e12 - I'm a complete newb and this is the first time I've listened to my dt770s with an amp. I'm literally trying not to cry they sound so sweet. 1 audiophile recruited for life. biggrin.gif Certainly in my opinion the e12 works just great with the dt770s! biggrin.gif
Edited by jessthebest - 4/9/13 at 2:03am
post #138 of 232
I'd be interested to know how other people get on with the match?...
Edited by jessthebest - 4/9/13 at 2:17am
post #139 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessthebest View Post

Just got my e12 - I'm a complete newb and this is the first time I've listened to my dt770s with an amp. I'm literally trying not to cry they sound so sweet. 1 audiophile recruited for life. biggrin.gif Certainly in my opinion the e12 works just great with the dt770s! biggrin.gif

What was your source when you ran them unamped and what differences does the e12 make?

post #140 of 232

I've been using my E12 with a pair of 600 Ohm DT880s.

 

Sweet!

The amp has more than enough output for 600 Ohm DTs. Had to set gain to 16 dB. Not big on the bass boost though..........

post #141 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

I've been using my E12 with a pair of 600 Ohm DT880s.

 

Sweet!

The amp has more than enough output for 600 Ohm DTs. Had to set gain to 16 dB. Not big on the bass boost though..........

 

V1 or V1 bass boost, and what are you not liking about it?

post #142 of 232

Forgive me if I missed it... 

Is there a teardown of the E12? 

Or at least comments about the gain device?  

post #143 of 232
Just got my E12 and am trying it with my B&W P5's and Sennheiser Momentum's ( running off an iPod classic and Samsung Galaxy S3). loving the improvement in all areas already and will run it like this for a while before experimenting with other settings.
post #144 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post

V1 or V1 bass boost, and what are you not liking about it?

It is V2, I just picked it up a few days ago.

Just too much bass for me, but maybe I'm not the right person to ask, I,m not really a bass head.
Some folks are, that's cool with me, it's just not my thing.
post #145 of 232
You'd like v1 bass boost then I bet. And I bet you could trade for one.
post #146 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by acti0n View Post

What was your source when you ran them unamped and what differences does the e12 make?

I ran them straight from my iphone 4s and my macbook pro.  Unamped, the sound was just 'weak' - I can't really think of a better way to describe it.  It wasn't bad, just wasn't anything to write home about and it felt lacking - my shure se215 IEMs beat my unamped dt770s hands down.  Not surprising really - they simply weren't getting enough power.

 

With the amp - different story.  Forgive me, I don't have the technical lingo, but I *think* that what I find so breathtaking is the added soundscape the amp gives the sound.  It's like the music is all around you and things like swells in strings or echo are overwhelming - they just sound beautiful. The sound is much fuller too - warmer, smoother and generally more 'fulfilling'.  I spent 4 hours solid this morning sitting on a sofa, staring into space and doing nothing besides listening to music because I couldn't believe how good it sounded :D

post #147 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post

You'd like v1 bass boost then I bet. And I bet you could trade for one.

Yeah, I tried to get FiiO to stick with the V1 bass boost.

I'm sure the V1 owners don't want to give their V1s up!

post #148 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessthebest View Post

I ran them straight from my iphone 4s and my macbook pro.  Unamped, the sound was just 'weak' - I can't really think of a better way to describe it.  It wasn't bad, just wasn't anything to write home about and it felt lacking - my shure se215 IEMs beat my unamped dt770s hands down.  Not surprising really - they simply weren't getting enough power.

 

With the amp - different story.  Forgive me, I don't have the technical lingo, but I *think* that what I find so breathtaking is the added soundscape the amp gives the sound.  It's like the music is all around you and things like swells in strings or echo are overwhelming - they just sound beautiful. The sound is much fuller too - warmer, smoother and generally more 'fulfilling'.  I spent 4 hours solid this morning sitting on a sofa, staring into space and doing nothing besides listening to music because I couldn't believe how good it sounded :D

I've read some wildly varying opinions on amping the DT770 80 ranging from tightening up the bass to having no audible effect other than loudness. From what you describe, it sounds like amping them made them an entirely different headphone.


Edited by acti0n - 4/9/13 at 7:22pm
post #149 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by acti0n View Post

Did you do any kind of ABX testing to rule out placebo? I've read some wildly varying opinions on amping the DT770 80 ranging from tightening up the bass to having no audible effect other than loudness. From what you describe, it sounds like amping them made them an entirely different headphone.

I don't think discussions of ABX testing are allowed in this forum as per Head Fi rules.

post #150 of 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

I don't think discussions of ABX testing are allowed in this forum as per Head Fi rules.

Interesting rule. Post edited. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Review: Fiio E12 (comparison to C&C BH + JDS Labs O2 + JDS Labs C421)