or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › IEM's with huge soundstage and bass?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

IEM's with huge soundstage and bass? - Page 4

post #46 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugguy View Post

Ordered the jvc fxz200 and cks1000 on tenso.

nice! i've been wanting to try the cks1000's, i've had both the fx700 and fxz200, looking forward to some comparisons on the two you picked up

post #47 of 83
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by daMannino View Post

nice! i've been wanting to try the cks1000's, i've had both the fx700 and fxz200, looking forward to some comparisons on the two you picked up

I wrote this post a while back and have had plenty of time to compare and play around with all three iems. In order, this is the order I use the iems in the most: FXZ200, CKS1000, FX700. They are all great iems and each has a different tone and sound to it. I am using the IE80 and the ASG2 mostly. The Westone 3 is also a nice iem for the music I listen to. Westone 3 is primarily used for working out/exercising. The IE80 is my main iem, used to mix music with, use on my laptop, and use on my iPhone. The ASG2 is still being broken in. It is a unique sound, but a very good sound at that. Only issue for me is the fitting and cord, which are two big issues after sound. However, the ASG2 is in a different price bracket compared to the previously listed iems. I'd say CKS1000 is the most balanced in the mids. It has a great overall sound. The FXZ200 is harder to drive, but does have subwoofer type bass when needed. The XB90EX has amazing quantity of bass, but not quality elsewhere. The FX700 isn't really my favorite due to two factors. The short cable and also due to hints of sibilance. I own a bunch of iems so I have the ability to tip roll and get the right tip/sound I want/desire. No matter what I've tried, the FX700 is always bright in comparison to anything I own or have used. Squeaky sharp, like cutting a sharp knife on a dry plate. The original topic question was iems with huge soundstage and bass...the ASG2 and IE80 are what I've been looking for.

post #48 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugguy View Post

I wrote this post a while back and have had plenty of time to compare and play around with all three iems. In order, this is the order I use the iems in the most: FXZ200, CKS1000, FX700. They are all great iems and each has a different tone and sound to it. I am using the IE80 and the ASG2 mostly. The Westone 3 is also a nice iem for the music I listen to. Westone 3 is primarily used for working out/exercising. The IE80 is my main iem, used to mix music with, use on my laptop, and use on my iPhone. The ASG2 is still being broken in. It is a unique sound, but a very good sound at that. Only issue for me is the fitting and cord, which are two big issues after sound. However, the ASG2 is in a different price bracket compared to the previously listed iems. I'd say CKS1000 is the most balanced in the mids. It has a great overall sound. The FXZ200 is harder to drive, but does have subwoofer type bass when needed. The XB90EX has amazing quantity of bass, but not quality elsewhere. The FX700 isn't really my favorite due to two factors. The short cable and also due to hints of sibilance. I own a bunch of iems so I have the ability to tip roll and get the right tip/sound I want/desire. No matter what I've tried, the FX700 is always bright in comparison to anything I own or have used. Squeaky sharp, like cutting a sharp knife on a dry plate. The original topic question was iems with huge soundstage and bass...the ASG2 and IE80 are what I've been looking for.

From your first post to this I can see that I have a similar sound signature preference to yours
I have the CKS1000
I'm now pretty convinced that ASG2 is what I'll be saving up for... If only it has an inline mic and controls it would have been perfect
post #49 of 83
There should be cables with mics if you browse around a bit. Hopefully. I think they are standard Westone connectors and should be fairly common.
post #50 of 83
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkcow View Post


From your first post to this I can see that I have a similar sound signature preference to yours
I have the CKS1000
I'm now pretty convinced that ASG2 is what I'll be saving up for... If only it has an inline mic and controls it would have been perfect

It's always good to have some who hears things objectively as I state them subjectively. The ASG2 is amazing. Not going to lie...it is easy to tell why it is getting pretty good reviews from the HF community. As for the mic and controls...I wouldn't go too crazy. The generic ASG2 cable is good, but not great. You can fit Westone cables on the ASG2, however, it really does change the sound quite a bit. It closes in the soundstage, reduces bass...pretty much negates all the positives of the ASG2 sound. I tried, and I really was surprised. ASG2 is the most tip sensitive IEM I own, and the fit is very important in attaining all of the sound that people are describing. You should really save up for these fnkcow.!

post #51 of 83
Well, an experienced person's subjective opinion is the closest thing to objective that we have in terms of describing sound. I'm also very psyched about getting my ASG-2 in maybe 2 weeks. Can't wait!
post #52 of 83
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonYeol View Post

Well, an experienced person's subjective opinion is the closest thing to objective that we have in terms of describing sound. I'm also very psyched about getting my ASG-2 in maybe 2 weeks. Can't wait!

That is true! I hope you enjoy your ASG2s! I feel it is both an art and a science to understand and describe what you are hearing. There are so many variables in what can change what you hear, so you really need to make sure that you know what the true variable you are comparing is. (Source, amp, tips, cable, driver...etc) Being detailed in describing sound is always more helpful than not. However, sometimes we all just need to realize that at the end of the day it is all what sounds good to you. As objective as most reviewers want to be, I feel subjectivity will always be stronger. It is about finding someone who has the same subjective opinion as you while still maintaining as much integrity in the definitions of the sound you are searching for.

post #53 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorktastick View Post

VSonic GR07 Bass Edition, perhaps? I have auditioned the JVC fxz200's, but own the GR07. I preferred the VSonic in almost every area.


How is the bass compared to the GR07? I have the MK2 and had the Bass Edition until they broke, and I had to return them (then, they went out of stock). I haven't had the BEs in so long, that I forgot what they sound like. I like the MK2, but the bass is just not there at all unless the track is bass heavy. And, hardly any tracks are. I mainly listen to hip hop. Sometimes, I listen to old rock.

 

Was there something you didn't like about the JVC FXZ200?

post #54 of 83
That's what makes this hobby interesting and exciting. And expensive. Everything can have an impact on the sound. The you said, you need to know what link in the chain you're testing. Knowing that the chain is strong or weak is good if you want to use it to chain a rottweiler but you need to understand each and every link in order to know how you can improve the strength of your chain. That's why is good to have the really experienced head-fiers who have listened to dozens or even hundreds of phones and different sources, DACs, amps, cables etc. Actually it scares me how much some people here know. And I almost don't dare to write what I hear just because I don't have as many iems or as much experience as others here.
post #55 of 83
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtime Lurker View Post


How is the bass compared to the GR07? I have the MK2 and had the Bass Edition until they broke, and I had to return them (then, they went out of stock). I haven't had the BEs in so long, that I forgot what they sound like. I like the MK2, but the bass is just not there at all unless the track is bass heavy. And, hardly any tracks are. I mainly listen to hip hop. Sometimes, I listen to old rock.

 

Was there something you didn't like about the JVC FXZ200?

I'm curious to how the GR07/GR07MK2/GR07 BE all compare. I haven't tried any of them. From what I have read, the BEs don't really have much bass to put out. I really like the JVC200s, they just don't get much use because of the other IEMs I use.

post #56 of 83
I have the GR07 and soon also GR07 mkII. As well as IE8 and soon ASG-2. I could write something down later but that will take almost a month because the mkII are coming in maybe 2 weeks and so are the ASG2. And then burn in.
post #57 of 83
But we have different preferences. I prefer punchy and tight bass and find the IE8 bass to be too soft and don't like the emphasis on midbass.
post #58 of 83
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonYeol View Post

That's what makes this hobby interesting and exciting. And expensive. Everything can have an impact on the sound. The you said, you need to know what link in the chain you're testing. Knowing that the chain is strong or weak is good if you want to use it to chain a rottweiler but you need to understand each and every link in order to know how you can improve the strength of your chain. That's why is good to have the really experienced head-fiers who have listened to dozens or even hundreds of phones and different sources, DACs, amps, cables etc. Actually it scares me how much some people here know. And I almost don't dare to write what I hear just because I don't have as many iems or as much experience as others here.

Nicely put as well. HeadFi is bootcamp for my wallet....it has lost so much weight!!!

post #59 of 83
Haha, tell me about it. After 2 days of shopping my audio budget is blown for the next 6 months. My Visa card developed a chronic fatigue syndrome and threatened to kill itself.
post #60 of 83
Can anyone comment about the sound stage between HiFiMan RE-400 and Sennheizer IE80?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Help and Getting Started › Introductions, Help and Recommendations › IEM's with huge soundstage and bass?