Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › New Burson Soloist SL Headphone Amp!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Burson Soloist SL Headphone Amp! - Page 14

post #196 of 208

Hello,

 

I am considering the Soloist SL to go along with HE-500, but I am debating which DAC is worthy. I am considering the Kingrex UD384, the ODAC, and everything in between. Does anyone have experience with semi-budget dacs between 150$ - 500$ running through the Soloist SL and HE-500?

post #197 of 208

A little bit off topic, I recently just upgraded my SL to the Auralic Taurus Mk II amp for my HE 500 with HE 6 balanced cable attached.

Although I enjoyed the new setup a lot which are generally better, but I am really amazed about how the SL was close to the Taurus in performance, I'd say the SL already damn close to unleashing the full potential of the HE-500.

post #198 of 208

Interesting to know about the Taurus. I have the Soloist SL paired with a Concero HD dac and LCD 3 and the combo sounds great.

post #199 of 208

Not being mean, but is that a sign of how well the SL performs or does the HE-500 just not scale that well?

 

Over the weekend I will try the HE-400 with two entirely different amps (Lehmann Linear, McIntosh MHA100), simply to test scalability.

post #200 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by perplekks45 View Post
 

Not being mean, but is that a sign of how well the SL performs or does the HE-500 just not scale that well?

 

Over the weekend I will try the HE-400 with two entirely different amps (Lehmann Linear, McIntosh MHA100), simply to test scalability.

I would say both, at least most reviews I read claimed the HE-500 is a fairly easy to drive phone which could attain most of higher end phones like the HE6 or HD800's performance.

 

beside this, I do think the Soloist SL is a bargin which just sits below the sharp rise of  the law of diminishing return

post #201 of 208

i have a burson soloist and i love it. it sounds great with my sennheiser hd700

post #202 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedylube View Post
 

i have a burson soloist and i love it. it sounds great with my sennheiser hd700

 

Great! the SL is a very capable amp. Any plans on trying the big brother (HD800's)? 

post #203 of 208

yes. i would like too. i am also considering audeze lcdxc

post #204 of 208

My mint condition Solonist SL is put up for sale, not because I dislike it but I have upgraded to the Conductor SL. A really nice product, I shall miss it. Anyone interested in my for sale item can email me.

post #205 of 208

ive just recieved my package, any of you burson soloist owners could you please post an image the rear panel when voltage switch selected to 230v?

post #206 of 208

Just in case anyone is interested. Stumbled onto this while looking up the Conductor SL. Less than two hours left!

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Burson-Audio-Soloist-SL-Stereo-Headphone-Amplifier-NIB/361115897891?

post #207 of 208

i'm possibly considering getting another amp that is a solid state for my hd650. atm im using the darkvoice 336se with 5998 and tungsol 6f8g to power it. it sounds fantastic but at some point i just want to be rid of worries when my tubes die and i go off looking for more and spending more $$$ than i should. is the burson soloist SL a great consideration for the HD650 as a solid state amp? i have the ODAC for a dedicated DAC.

 

thanks.

post #208 of 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by doco View Post
 

i'm possibly considering getting another amp that is a solid state for my hd650. atm im using the darkvoice 336se with 5998 and tungsol 6f8g to power it. it sounds fantastic but at some point i just want to be rid of worries when my tubes die and i go off looking for more and spending more $$$ than i should. is the burson soloist SL a great consideration for the HD650 as a solid state amp? i have the ODAC for a dedicated DAC.

 

thanks.

 

Dear doco, I haven't heard the combination of both but both by themselves and I am guessing this would be an excellent combination since the SL is on the transparent/neutral/bright side and the HD650 on the dark/detailed side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwess View Post
 

Great! the SL is a very capable amp. Any plans on trying the big brother (HD800's)? 

 

I'ver tried that and it works very well. However, you need to have a fable for a more neutral presentation. This pair is very transparently and directly sounding. I would probably recommend single coppr crystal interconnects to make the presentation s bit gentler.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chik0240 View Post
 

A little bit off topic, I recently just upgraded my SL to the Auralic Taurus Mk II amp for my HE 500 with HE 6 balanced cable attached.

Although I enjoyed the new setup a lot which are generally better, but I am really amazed about how the SL was close to the Taurus in performance, I'd say the SL already damn close to unleashing the full potential of the HE-500.

 

 

From the original retail price, the SL is the cheaper hardware, so you could be rather inclined to ask whether the SL is up to the standard of the HE-500. The HE=500 can sound quite impressive with the right pads and cables and I highly recommend this combination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chik0240 View Post
 

A little bit off topic, I recently just upgraded my SL to the Auralic Taurus Mk II amp for my HE 500 with HE 6 balanced cable attached.

Although I enjoyed the new setup a lot which are generally better, but I am really amazed about how the SL was close to the Taurus in performance, I'd say the SL already damn close to unleashing the full potential of the HE-500.

 

Slightly above your price tag is the M-DAC, which I am using. You might be able to pick up a used one for a reasonable price. It was quite popular but supports "only" 96 kHz, sounds brilliant in my ears.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › New Burson Soloist SL Headphone Amp!