- 523 Posts. Joined 5/2013
- Location: Oregon
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Newbie looking for advice on maximizing experience(already have gear) Last post on 10/5/15 at 7:47am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- DAC/AMP for Alpha Dog cans? Last post on 2/21/16 at 6:02am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Newbie question Last post on 2/3/15 at 5:15pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Need AMP+DAC recommendations for my newly purchased "DT990 Premium 600o" Last post on 3/5/15 at 11:21pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- DAC for AKG550 Last post on 1/25/15 at 10:42pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
Last edited: 12/16/16
Aesthetics: The box with its engineering drawings, beautiful graphics, and presentation of the product leaves a great first impression. Included are ample sizes of silicon earpieces to choose...
This is a pretty long review. For the benefit of those with short attention spans, let’s cut right to the chase. The “entry level” Holo Spring DAC is good – very good! It is transparent,...
I just got my X1 II but I'm really busy so I will first pen a few quick thoughts and edit this next time/respond to any comments or PMs you send me :) Info and Specs...
Empire Ears & Effect Audio Collaboration “ARTHUR” Intro Specifications Arthur frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz Sensitivity: 21ohm @ 1mw 14 Balanced Armature drivers...
I love Ibasso, really respect there products, especially the DX90 wich I still use everyday after 3 years and have lot of pleasure to listen to, i'm still amaze by the clear, neutral and analytical...
Speaker amps for headphones - Page 167
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Interesting kickstarter for an "all-in-one" integrated with a phono pre. I love the compact footprint!
Original values of 6 ohms (5 watts) between the positive terminals and 2 ohms (3 watts) bridging the + and - wire after the first resistor.
Nope. Don't have a HD800. Might have considered it way back, but the treble and lack of bass slam doesn't do it for me. Same thing goes for stats. I'm sure a lot of people love it for the clarity and detail, but at the end of the day, are you having fun?
I have yet to experience a headphone that can throw a proper soundstage to make it seem like the image is coming from the front. While the Denon/Fostex are closed, they still IMO offer realism. Listening to live events, the reverbs are perfect to match what it sounds like to be there. I couldn't get that with Audeze.
Having said all that, speakers > headphones, any day of the week. That's why I got rid of LCD-3 to fund speakers and then get a TH-600 or TH-900 on the side to replace my D2000 eventually. No need to carry separate amps or DACs. The Dangerous Music Source will drive both headphones and monitors with a good dac and amp. Not to mention solid features.
If you have time you can visit Bay Bloor Radio, I bought my 2nd HD800 from them at Black Friday special price.
It really come close to the speaker experience IMO. You can ask them with HDVD800.
Also I know lot of people hate Grados, but PS1000 is just another headphone that sounds like speaker, something really nice about. You can also audition at Bay Bloor Radio.
How important is the effective speaker load? M'y biggest problem is sourcing weird configurations lol
I know some people have experience with this setup but I can't seem to find an answer. I have a pair of XLR terminated HD800's and a Millenia MG3 and am looking to lower the noisefloor. Just finished building Robrob's prefered resistor network and sadly it didn't help much. Anyone know what kind of resistors... I mean specifically what resistors I should be using to lower the noisefloor from a nearby waterfall to, well as black as possible?
I used the leads of the resistors as the "wires" inside the resistor box, is that acceptable practice? lol. Also I am using wall power and not battery, I'm aware that this may make a difference but would prefer not to rely on batteries charging external battery packs seem to be sketchy as I have to watch them carefully. Maybe there is no other way?
Sound seems MUUUCH better than my 0404 lolol, but noisefloor and absolutely no volume control ( as soon as right channel kicks in it's already loud enough).
Thank you for any input on this matter.
If 12db isn't even close then I'd suggest the 8 and 1/2 ohm resistors for 25db of attenuation. Using the resistor leads as the 'wires' is the preferred method and helps minimize solder joints.
if you have an amp with 20+dB gain that is known for noise problems, and you're stuffing 20+dB of attenuation at the output just to make it listenable...
Lol, but but... people have gotten great results....
On a more honest note I just can't get myself to sell it for half the price I bought it for and I don't want to just leave it lying around lol.
Thanks , for some reason speaker load was the reason for noisefloor. Thought this would help it, ill try 8 and .5
THIS is exactly the point of the resistor box. You've got an amplifier, let me throw an attenuator on the output to turn it into a great headphone amp!
Good luck with the readings. I wonder how the mid tone control is implement. FWIW, the treble and bass control don't affect the mids at all on PM6004.
- Speaker amps for headphones
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › How do you Listen? 1 minute ago
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV 3 minutes ago
- › CanJam Singapore 2017 (March 11-12, 2017) 4 minutes ago
- › Custom Ear Molds for IEMs 4 minutes ago
- › Cypherus Audio Products Discussion Thread: CampFred Earbuds, QFred... 4 minutes ago
- › B/New Trinity Audio Phantom Master 4 IEM 5 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 6 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NW-A30 SERIES 7 minutes ago
- › ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF 7 minutes ago
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by wdetterman
- › Holo Audio Spring DAC - Level 1 "Base Model" by T Bone
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by gemmoglock
- › Effect Audio X Empire Ears : "Arthur" by justrest
- › iBasso Audio DX80 High Resolution Audio Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › DUNU DN-2000J by EZE99
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by snapacap
- › AKG K 550 by Simurgh
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by chompchomps
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear