or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Speaker amps for headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Speaker amps for headphones - Page 159

post #2371 of 3116

Sweeter!

post #2372 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrob View Post
 

I added resistor network power and current calculations to the Headphone Resistor Network Calculator spreadsheet. You input the amplifier output voltage and the spreadsheet shows amp power and current output and what actually flows through the headphones. Click on the pic for a clearer view.

 

Dude... You're making it WAY too easy for the newbies!  Where is all the pain?  The indecision?  The suffering?  

 

Sheesh!!!!

 

 

j/k....  Great tools!

post #2373 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by potterma View Post
 

Dude... You're making it WAY too easy for the newbies!  Where is all the pain?  The indecision?  The suffering?  

 

Sheesh!!!!

 

 

j/k....  Great tools!

LMAO I am going through this very thing with an active analog crossover for my horns+supertweets :o Which components, opamps, x-over frequency, installation limitations etc.

 

One thing is for sure though, it's a Linkwitz-Riley 4th-order (LR-4).

post #2374 of 3116
I think what I bought is primarily a headphone amp, albeit a super fly weight one.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/703292/tube-advice-needed-for-my-dac-and-my-amp-for-hd800/0_20#post_10224359

Do you experts on this thread have any advice for me? Thanks.
post #2375 of 3116

What do you guys think of the Cary Audio SLI-80 for the Audeze LCD-2s? I heard the amplifier from speakers before and really like the sound signature of it . Would it give me the same sound signature if i use it as a headphone amp?

post #2376 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

LMAO I am going through this very thing with an active analog crossover for my horns+supertweets :o Which components, opamps, x-over frequency, installation limitations etc.

 

One thing is for sure though, it's a Linkwitz-Riley 4th-order (LR-4).

 

I keep thinking if I ever go into an active crossover system, I might go digital with a DEQX system...

post #2377 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post
 

 

I keep thinking if I ever go into an active crossover system, I might go digital with a DEQX system...

Yeah I looked at that closely, but I think I have found a better solution. First, I don't think many DEQX owners have $1k+ DACs experience, and those that do have less than desirable experiences with the digital units. Second, what are you going to do if you have a turntable? Digitize it? No thanks! Third, I still have all the advantages of digital by using my USB measurement microphone + REW through JRiver. So what we have is no AD step with cheap converters, less interconnects (active x-overs are internal with amp), still useful for turntables, and software/features that are constantly getting better instead of a box unit. Not too shabby! However, if you really wanted to experiment then a DEQX or other is much, much easier than swapping resistors and such. Once you find your magical x-over spot/slope then get the analog equivalent.

 

EDIT: I also found out that Mr. Linkwitz, and Mr. Pass is of similar mentality. Hard to argue with that!


Edited by brunk - 2/5/14 at 10:48am
post #2378 of 3116
Hello fellows. I have the deqx HDP4 and the HDP EXPRESS 11. It is still in boxes
And I bought the support as well. It is way to complicated
For me to do alone.
I have now a Yamaha d2040 now they both are four channel stereo

Al
post #2379 of 3116

I was looking at DEQX type things and thinking to myself: ok if I have a three way system, I could do this myself with a good measurement mic and software, set up three linked zones in JRiver each with it's own EQ and filters in place, output to three dacs which then feed three stereo amps for tri-amping... ugh. Just gimme a box that does it all. DIY is cheaper (not by that much by the end of it I think), but more work.

 

Just some other counterpoints for the sake or playing devil's advocate...

 

Quote:
 I don't think many DEQX owners have $1k+ DACs experience

 

You don't think people spending ~$5k will have experience with thousand dollar dacs? I dunno, I would think when you're playing in that ballpark practically everything in your system is going to be pushing the four to five digit range.

 

 

Quote:
 Second, what are you going to do if you have a turntable? Digitize it? No thanks!...
 
...what we have is no AD step with cheap converters

 

One would expect (hope?) that an expensive unit like the DEQX isn't going to have a cheap AD converter...

 

 

Quote:
 Once you find your magical x-over spot/slope then get the analog equivalent.

 

But doesn't going analog reintroduce phase shfits? Unless you happen to be a fantastic XO designer who can account for that, but that's a skillset that many do not possess

post #2380 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post
 

I was looking at DEQX type things and thinking to myself: ok if I have a three way system, I could do this myself with a good measurement mic and software, set up three linked zones in JRiver each with it's own EQ and filters in place, output to three dacs which then feed three stereo amps for tri-amping... ugh. Just gimme a box that does it all. DIY is cheaper (not by that much by the end of it I think), but more work.

 

Just some other counterpoints for the sake or playing devil's advocate...

 

 

You don't think people spending ~$5k will have experience with thousand dollar dacs? I dunno, I would think when you're playing in that ballpark practically everything in your system is going to be pushing the four to five digit range.

 

Whoops I just looked up the price, I was thinking along the lines of the Behringer and similar units, I didn't realize the names were similar. I stand corrected. Best to ask the owners.

 

One would expect (hope?) that an expensive unit like the DEQX isn't going to have a cheap AD converter...

 

I have experience with a dedicated TOTL A/D, the PCM4222EVM with a linear supply, and it still has its differences from the original signal. DEQX uses TOTL Cirrus Logic ADC, so I can't imagine a drastic difference, and that's assuming an excellent implementation like my dedicated unit. I also notice it uses 32-bit BurrBrown DACs, I have never had a good experience with those. Have you?

 

But doesn't going analog reintroduce phase shfits? Unless you happen to be a fantastic XO designer who can account for that, but that's a skillset that many do not possess

 

That depends what type of x-over you implement. All x-overs have phase shift, but a Linkwitz-Riley 4th-order brings it all the way around, so no compensation is needed. Other types you will have to either time-align by moving the driver, or electrically with a delay. Therefore, the design is already out there, it's up to you to get the proper tolerance components, or compensating with the formulas available.


Edited by brunk - 2/5/14 at 12:09pm
post #2381 of 3116
The whole thing is about 8500. With support and four way
Crossover. So sub. Woofer. Mid. Treble.
All electronic cross over
Room EQ. Phasing room equilazation as well
And if course all crisis over freq ech with its own EQ
It us very complex but well worth it. I have that now
But it is a ten year unit. I feed it analog from out if my DAC
But if I wanted to get an 8 channel
DAC I could. The buggiest issue is setting it up
So I spent about 650 for full support
Not just the phone but right into my CPU than will make the adjustments
To the unit. As it is headless. And way to Complex for me to learn a listen
It comes with there cal mic as well. It should be wonderfull when done
And at that point I can start to
At and a of it is memorized so I cannot loose any settings
Al
post #2382 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

The whole thing is about 8500. With support and four way
Crossover. So sub. Woofer. Mid. Treble.
All electronic cross over
Room EQ. Phasing room equilazation as well
And if course all crisis over freq ech with its own EQ
It us very complex but well worth it. I have that now
But it is a ten year unit. I feed it analog from out if my DAC
But if I wanted to get an 8 channel
DAC I could. The buggiest issue is setting it up
So I spent about 650 for full support
Not just the phone but right into my CPU than will make the adjustments
To the unit. As it is headless. And way to Complex for me to learn a listen
It comes with there cal mic as well. It should be wonderfull when done
And at that point I can start to
At and a of it is memorized so I cannot loose any settings
Al

Awesome Al! PM me your impressions when you get it all setup, I am excited to hear what you have to say :) I too have thought about getting a multi-channel DAC and doing everything myself via REW/JRiver, but they are far and few between. RME and exasound are probably the best bets for multi-channel DACs.


Edited by brunk - 2/5/14 at 12:00pm
post #2383 of 3116
I will but you can go to whatsthebestforums. People there have them
It updated as to what I have now. I use my msb stack into the crisis over.
Asuch as we do not want the DSP there is just no way around it
Room EQ
Room correction. You condo them from jriver
But you still need multi dacs so what's the point
Have for MyTek a or one really good one.
Truth be told when I Am using the headphones is right out if the DAC into Amp
And there speakers sound much better.
From a purest standpoint you are correct but in the end everything is got some DSP
Anyway
Al
post #2384 of 3116

And those multichannel dacs get quite expensive on their own. While the DEQX seems expensive (there are costlier alternatives out there), I don't think it's too bad for all it offers in the package.

 

I've heard of some people hacking a Behringer DCX2496 with a better power supply and tapping the digital outputs directly instead of using the internal dac. Then all you'd need is a filter for phase, assuming that the drivers are at least in matching phase at the chosen crossover points. That's probably the cheapest option but requires some DIY skill.

post #2385 of 3116
How about a acuphase 20 k and nonsupport
And to me support is paramount.
I went through hell setting mine up
And this is far more complex.
The built in room EQ alone is more than I want to deal with
If you think about is all the bull we go through
With dAcs and amps CPU configuration a to what end
If the speakers are effected by the room how can we get it done correctly
Pros do this all day not us.
Al
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Speaker amps for headphones