or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Speaker amps for headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Speaker amps for headphones - Page 147

post #2191 of 3116

1978 Sansui BA-2000 power amp. I bought it in 1979 while stationed in Korea. It sounds great but the audio will drop out at low volume with low passages. I'm going to replace all the caps (they're 35+ years old!) and clean all connections in the signal path. The modified Fostex T50RPs sound great with it.

post #2192 of 3116

That looks like a top shelf vintage power amp you have there Rob. Just a small recommendation though. I would personally get a slightly larger value capacitor than what is stock in the power section. The price difference nowadays is pretty much insignificant. Don't go too overboard though :tongue: 

post #2193 of 3116
Yes looks good. Congrats
post #2194 of 3116

Okay LiDaR Builders:

 

Which one of you guys wants to fabricate me one of those fancy-dancy light-sabers that cuts right through volume?  I need 2-3 switchable inputs, and would really like 2 switchable outputs so I can use it for both the Cyclops and the Millenia without having to swap any wires.  I don't need a remote control (my arms are long enough to reach my rig, and even if they weren't, it's good for me to get off of my fat rear every once in a while anyway).  A nicely made box with smooooooth controls should also be considered a requirement.  I'm assuming that one of these boxes can be built for a reasonable price... but you guys can huddle up and let me know what you think it should cost, and I'll let you know if I'm still interested. :biggrin:

 

Assume that the other components are Yulong or other mid-level DAC on the input side, Odyssey Cyclops and TBI Millennia on the output.  If any of those won't work with one of these gizmos, let me know. 

 

Rather than hijack this thread, we can either take this to PMs or start a new thread... I'm tired of all of these old ones anyway, particularly the December 2013 DAC one... I think you can understand why...

 

Thanks in advance,

 

Gary

post #2195 of 3116

Hey Gary,

 

Having multiple in/out options makes it really complicated. Without going into a whole lot of detail why, I am going to simply say that a different preamp implementation will suit your needs better. For the price, this Khozmo box would be pretty hard to beat for the features you desire. The caveat is that the project box has blank panels, so you would need to drill yourself or send it somewhere that can, and solder a few wires.

 

http://www.khozmo.com/balanced_stereo.html

 

EDIT: On second thought, I would shoot them an email and see if they have assembled units. The CNC work on the front isn't cheap if you don't have access to one.


Edited by brunk - 1/8/14 at 8:44pm
post #2196 of 3116

Also wanted to let you guys know that I'm listening to the HD650s driven by the Cyclops right now.  First time I've tried them, and note first that there is absolutely no noise with the Cyclops driving these cans. 

 

As to the musical performance, they sound very nice.  Nothing like the LCD-3s, but not the muddy treble-starved horrors that some make them out to be.  Very clean, almost light and airy compared to the LCDs. But they don't give you the full, rich dimension of the sound of each element of the recording the way the LCD-3s do.  With the Senns you never forget you are listening to a reproduction, whereas with the LCDs you sometimes start to think you are in the room with the musicians. 

 

In any case, the HD650s seem to be the backup cans I was looking for when I tried the T1s and ESP-950s last year.  They are pleasant and comfortable.  I will try them with the Millenia over the weekend, once I get it set up again (I took it on the road with me to try with both the HD600s and HD650s, but forgot the speaker tap... sigh), and will report back what I hear.

post #2197 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

Hey Gary,

 

Having multiple in/out options makes it really complicated. Without going into a whole lot of detail why, I am going to simply say that a different preamp implementation will suit your needs better. For the price, this Khozmo box would be pretty hard to beat for the features you desire. The caveat is that the project box has blank panels, so you would need to drill yourself or send it somewhere that can, and solder a few wires.

 

http://www.khozmo.com/balanced_stereo.html

 

EDIT: On second thought, I would shoot them an email and see if they have assembled units. The CNC work on the front isn't cheap if you don't have access to one.


I see they have a single-ended version that does what I want... but does it come with a box at all?  And would I need the extra-cost resistors?  I have no ability to build anything that takes soldering... I might be able to build it if all I had to do was put Tab A into Slot B, but I'm assuming it takes more than that... right?

post #2198 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in MD View Post
 


I see they have a single-ended version that does what I want... but does it come with a box at all?  And would I need the extra-cost resistors?  I have no ability to build anything that takes soldering... I might be able to build it if all I had to do was put Tab A into Slot B, but I'm assuming it takes more than that... right?

Yeah, their website isn't very clear, but all I hear is good things with their new revision attenuators. They just did a third re-design in 2013 (pics on website are outdated). I would just shoot them an email and see what they have pre-made, if anything at all.

post #2199 of 3116

@Gary in MD  PM inbound...

post #2200 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

Hey Gary,

 

Having multiple in/out options makes it really complicated. Without going into a whole lot of detail why, I am going to simply say that a different preamp implementation will suit your needs better. For the price, this Khozmo box would be pretty hard to beat for the features you desire. The caveat is that the project box has blank panels, so you would need to drill yourself or send it somewhere that can, and solder a few wires.

 

http://www.khozmo.com/balanced_stereo.html

 

EDIT: On second thought, I would shoot them an email and see if they have assembled units. The CNC work on the front isn't cheap if you don't have access to one.

Did they had the decimal point in the wrong place?  At first the prices were in six digits.

post #2201 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in MD View Post


I see they have a single-ended version that does what I want... but does it come with a box at all?  And would I need the extra-cost resistors?  I have no ability to build anything that takes soldering... I might be able to build it if all I had to do was put Tab A into Slot B, but I'm assuming it takes more than that... right?

I'm sure one of us could build the kit for you if you decide that's the way you want to go.
post #2202 of 3116

An amp which I followed a year or so back was the First Watt F6 JFET (I believe) amp - any of you FW aficionados know or have had experience with this particular amp. I stopped following the F6 DIYaudio thread a long time ago though, but all this recent talk regarding Nelson Pass' work kinda got me wondering....

post #2203 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk77 View Post
 

An amp which I followed a year or so back was the First Watt F6 JFET (I believe) amp - any of you FW aficionados know or have had experience with this particular amp. I stopped following the F6 DIYaudio thread a long time ago though, but all this recent talk regarding Nelson Pass' work kinda got me wondering....

IMO, i think the F6 would be ok, but the problem is sourcing the SemiSouth parts. If I am not mistaken, Mr. Pass holds about 75% of the world's supply and I am not sure where the other 25% resides lol.

post #2204 of 3116

Ahhh I see. I saw an ad for someone chasing a transformer (not sure of brand) specifically for an F6 and wondered why there weren't as many F6s out in the wild by now. Cheers Brunk.

post #2205 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

IMO, i think the F6 would be ok, but the problem is sourcing the SemiSouth parts. If I am not mistaken, Mr. Pass holds about 75% of the world's supply and I am not sure where the other 25% resides lol.

I know who the holder of a bit of stock is of those SemiSouth parts ....

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Speaker amps for headphones