or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Speaker amps for headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Speaker amps for headphones - Page 130

post #1936 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

How loud is a jet flying over your head? Low flying at the airport .

I think it's right at 110-120dB. Anything over 120dB is pretty much instantaneous damage.

post #1937 of 3116

What's the point of all these calculations again?

 

I've already determined the wattage the headphone receives is irrelevant to how they sound. Using resistors are only for attenuation and lowering noise-floor in SS amps.

post #1938 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post
 

What's the point of all these calculations again?

 

I've already determined the wattage the headphone receives is irrelevant to how they sound. Using resistors are only for attenuation and lowering noise-floor in SS amps.

The resistors are also useful for dynamic headphones, making even high impedance cans a possibility, keeping the amp at it's sweet spot.

post #1939 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

The resistors are also useful for dynamic headphones, making even high impedance cans a possibility, keeping the amp at it's sweet spot.


Oh yes, that too.

 

But we have pages and pages of calculations that are irrelevant. Very misleading too!

post #1940 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

The resistors are also useful for dynamic headphones, making even high impedance cans a possibility, keeping the amp at it's sweet spot.

 

"Sweet spot" for working the volume knob, but not necessarily (probably unlikely) the sweet spot for the amp.


Edited by Armaegis - 12/16/13 at 1:29pm
post #1941 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post
 

 

"Sweet spot" for working the volume knob, but not necessarily (probably unlikely) the sweet spot for the amp.

Well, it's better in regards to nothing at all for dynamics. I guess "sweet spot" wasn't the best choice of wording there.

post #1942 of 3116
I use to be a DJ on the weekends many years ago . I used earplugs under my headphones.
post #1943 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrob View Post
 

What?

 

Real short answer:

 

I'll bet your average "loud" listening level is approx. 85-90 dB.   The peaks may be 16 dB higher in uncompressed program material.

 

Try calculating that, you see why the 5 Watt resistor barely gets warm.

post #1944 of 3116
Quote:
 Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post
 
What's the point of all these calculations again?

 

As I said earlier, I'm trying to break down the circuit analysis to tiny little chunks so that an interested layman can follow the calculations and analysis and see how the resistor network actually works.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post

 

But we have pages and pages of calculations that are irrelevant. Very misleading too!

 

Please let me know what's misleading.


Edited by robrob - 12/16/13 at 3:26pm
post #1945 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

 

Real short answer:

 

I'll bet your average "loud" listening level is approx. 85-90 dB.   The peaks may be 16 dB higher in uncompressed program material.

 

Try calculating that, you see why the 5 Watt resistor barely gets warm.

The "What?" was a joke about being deaf.

post #1946 of 3116
Well I am happy with your work rob. I just might a cliff note guide when I'm ready to use . LOL

but I do like it.
post #1947 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

My OSD Audio DSM4 has arrived! Got it off eBay for $58 shipped. The case is very thick, and has a quality anodized black finish. It also comes with a bunch of sticker labels for the different zones and an instruction sheet. It's strikingly similar to the Niles products, except those come with a 10 year warranty...meh. The connectors on the back are removable, so you can get a good tight grip and I suspect you can fit 12awg if you're careful, even though it says 14awg. The relays are sealed, and the defeatable protection circuit has 15w 10R resistors. Here are some pics for those interested :) I'll be hooking it up later in the week, so listening impressions will be coming soon.

Pics of OSD Audio DSM4 (Click to show)

 

 

 

So how are you liking your speaker switch?  Does it do what you wanted it to do?  How's it sound?

 

Finished my wetted relay box this weekend.  Working very nice so far.  There is a small "tick" when switching back and forth, but switching is very fast.  Nearly instantaneous.  ZERO cross-talk between A & B.

post #1948 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by potterma View Post
 

So how are you liking your speaker switch?  Does it do what you wanted it to do?  How's it sound?

 

Finished my wetted relay box this weekend.  Working very nice so far.  There is a small "tick" when switching back and forth, but switching is very fast.  Nearly instantaneous.  ZERO cross-talk between A & B.

Oh! I had forgot to mention it earlier! The box is seamless, and only alters the sound when the protection is enabled. A/B switch between amps AND speakers/headphones is a breeze. A remote would've been very nice, but at less than $60 i cant complain. No crosstalk either, so I am a happy camper. This box is a real sleeper, that's for sure. Worth every penny for a dedicated Head-Fi'er.

 

EDIT: The switches have a very nice tactile feel and click to them, without feeling cheap. Quite durable.


Edited by brunk - 12/16/13 at 6:38pm
post #1949 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

Oh! I had forgot to mention it earlier! The box is seamless, and only alters the sound when the protection is enabled. A/B switch between amps AND speakers/headphones is a breeze. A remote would've been very nice, but at less than $60 i cant complain. No crosstalk either, so I am a happy camper. This box is a real sleeper, that's for sure. Worth every penny for a dedicated Head-Fi'er.

 

EDIT: The switches have a very nice tactile feel and click to them, without feeling cheap. Quite durable.

Nice!  Too bad we didn't know about that box when Gary was doing his amp comparison!

post #1950 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by potterma View Post
 

Nice!  Too bad we didn't know about that box when Gary was doing his amp comparison!

Can you link that thread? I'm sure he would've had a grand time with this box. It really is a sleeper for sure!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Speaker amps for headphones