or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Speaker amps for headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Speaker amps for headphones - Page 128

post #1906 of 3116
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
To be really precise they are auto transformers . The auto part comes from a term used for a varible transformer output device. You turned a knob and as you did so you changed the output voltage. . They were the ORIGNAL light dimmer or motor control. As for the term for these transformer the name may be correct but the use is totally not.
post #1907 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
 

 

 

Gotta say I agree, I'd stick with resistors.

These are really for driving loudspeakers.

 

 

Well, again, big beefy amps are meant for speakers, not headphones. We're slapping an ad hoc solution onto an ad hoc solution. We're already down the rabbit hole; might as well see how deep it really goes.

post #1908 of 3116
Oh it goes deeper still. Its not that i didn't look into this and some others but did not date post them lol
post #1909 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

Well, again, big beefy amps are meant for speakers, not headphones. We're slapping an ad hoc solution onto an ad hoc solution. We're already down the rabbit hole; might as well see how deep it really goes.

More like getting ridiculous too I don't doubt seeing people in the near future spending $15k on speaker amps to drive headphones...oh wait there already are. wink.gif
post #1910 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post


More like getting ridiculous too I don't doubt seeing people in the near future spending $15k on speaker amps to drive headphones...oh wait there already are. wink.gif

:blink: Where are these things? Oh wait, is that even stax land? :rolleyes:

post #1911 of 3116

Nope, not even Stax. I think there's one person here running his HE-6 off the Woo 234. 

post #1912 of 3116
Well I will be the second in January all black. .

Al D
post #1913 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post
 

Nope, not even Stax. I think there's one person here running his HE-6 off the Woo 234. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

Well I will be the second in January all black. .

Al D

Hah! Very cool guys. Crazy...but cool :D

post #1914 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

Well I will be the second in January all black. .

Al D

Congrats. Just for headphones or also for speakers?
post #1915 of 3116
Headphones only . I want this for my office and I already. Have these speakers there And this amp cannot do anything there. I have heard them before and they really sound great.
post #1916 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk View Post
 

:blink: Where are these things? Oh wait, is that even stax land? :rolleyes:

The Woo monoblock thread, I do run my Stax off 500 watt per channel monoblocks though. :o

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post
 

Nope, not even Stax. I think there's one person here running his HE-6 off the Woo 234. 

Valenthagea or however you spell his name, yeah his running his headphones off the Woo monoblocks because his also powering his main speakers off them.

post #1917 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post
 

The Woo monoblock thread, I do run my Stax off 500 watt per channel monoblocks though. :o

Are you using one of the Stax transformers, or something else?

post #1918 of 3116
Most probably the woo wee. As this is what I thought of doing , as I have the woo Wes at home in NYC. And wanted it for the office, then I I had really great though the BHSE. And 7 months later it still is a thought. Lol.

Al d
post #1919 of 3116

Yeah, I've been thinking about the Wee for months too.  Just haven't decided to pull the trigger on the Stax stuff yet.  And now that I'm feeding the Koss ESP-950s with a decent DAC (currently the Benchmark DAC 2 while it is burning in... but that's another thread), I like them more, so might not ever go Stax. 

 

Oh, who am I kidding, that's gonna happen next year... You guys have all re-infected me with this hi-fi addiction.  I thought I'd kicked it in the 1990s... Oh well, of all the vices I could have, this is not the most destructive.

post #1920 of 3116
No it's like herpesvirus . We all have gotten infected years ago and it just fairs up every ten years around our ten year birthdays . Lol

You will by a stax. U must!!!

Al. D
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Speaker amps for headphones