or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Speaker amps for headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Speaker amps for headphones - Page 100

post #1486 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by potterma View Post

Assuming that the voltage compliance of the MG3 will accommodate that configuration and provide the attenuation you desire...  Doing some quick numbers in my spreadsheet, I'm not sure you'll be happy with a simple series resistor.

Whys that? Why would he need a shunt resistor?

se
post #1487 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post


Whys that? Why would he need a shunt resistor?

se

They are trying to attenuate noise.

 

With R1 = 8 Ohms and R2 = 2 Ohms you could easily (for example) reduce the volume (and also noise outputted by amp) by a factor of 5:1 (for example), i.e. 14 dB.


Edited by Chris J - 11/28/13 at 4:53pm
post #1488 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post
 

 

Thanks Chris!

 

Ooops.

I forgot to add the power spec:

6 Watts into 32 Ohms.

In round numbers, approx. 3 Watts into 50 Ohms.

 

Ya know, this thing (the Bryston) can output as much voltage as a lot of power amps: 20 Volts. 

I've always wondered how it would compare to some of the best power amps found (discovered?) in this thread.   :blink:

It would certainly have lower noise than most.

 

It's one of those high powered headphone amps,  more power than joe average headphone amp, but less power than a speaker amp.:tongue:


Edited by Chris J - 11/28/13 at 4:51pm
post #1489 of 3116

And there we have it - as many opinions as there are resistor values. :o 

 

As frustrated as I am, please know that I very much appreciate everyone's advice. The truth is in there somewhere, but it seems there's no escaping my ordering a bunch of resistors and just testing all the theories one by one until I like what I hear. Ugggh!

post #1490 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post
 

And there we have it - as many opinions as there are resistor values. :o 

 

As frustrated as I am, please know that I very much appreciate everyone's advice. The truth is in there somewhere, but it seems there's no escaping my ordering a bunch of resistors and just testing all the theories one by one until I like what I hear. Ugggh!

 

Just make sure you order:

7.0

7.1

7.2

7.3

7.4

7.5

7.6

7.7

7.8

7.9

8.0

8.1

8.2

etc.    Ohms.

Have I missed any values?   :veryevil:

post #1491 of 3116

LOL

 

 :D

 

I just hate the lack of consensus. If there is a trustworthy science for designing a simple resistor box, it's insidiously elusive.

post #1492 of 3116

Don't forget about the maximum compliance voltage of the amp.  

 

The LCD-2 is 60 ohms, per the specs on the Audeze website.

 

If you want 1 Watt RMS available to the headphones, that means ~7.7 VRMS, or ~11 V peak across R2 and the thus, across the headphones.

 

If the maximum output voltage (peak) of the MG3 is 20 volts (just a tad conservative, based on the MG3 specs, and if I remember correct that is about what I measured at clipping with the MG3) then the best you can do for attenuation is -5 dB.

 

You can't simply make it about power and ignore the maximum voltage output of the amplifier.

post #1493 of 3116
There is a diencephalic behind lower the output to your headphones and getting a lower noise floor. Beyond that it is how it sounds. I just bought a krell kav400 xi. And I ordered a assortment of resistors to play with.
You do not need all . It is not that critical. And if you order 1,3,5,10 ,20,30,50,100. You can make all combo,s you will need . Once you have it down then buy the correct ones or don't but post your plight for all of us to gain a little more knowledge in this. One man to really pay attention to is S.E.

AL D
post #1494 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch0md View Post
 

LOL

 

 :D

 

I just hate the lack of consensus. If there is a trustworthy science for designing a simple resistor box, it's insidiously elusive.

Not really.  One just has to consider the whole problem...

post #1495 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

There is a diencephalic behind lower the output to your headphones and getting a lower noise floor. Beyond that it is how it sounds. I just bought a krell kav400 xi. And I ordered a assortment of resistors to play with.
You do not need all . It is not that critical. And if you order 1,3,5,10 ,20,30,50,100. You can make all combo,s you will need . Once you have it down then buy the correct ones or don't but post your plight for all of us to gain a little more knowledge in this. One man to really pay attention to is S.E.

AL D

 

Wha?

post #1496 of 3116
I know I just read it lol. Give me a second to correct it.
post #1497 of 3116
There is a consensus behind lowering the output to your headphones and getting a lower noise floor. Beyond that it is how it sounds. I just bought a krell kav400 xi. And I ordered a assortment of resistors to play with.
You do not need all . It is not that critical. And if you order 1,3,5,10 ,20,30,50,100. You can make all combo,s you will need . Once you have it down then buy the correct ones or don't but post your plight for all of us to gain a little more knowledge in this. One man to really pay attention to is S.E.

AL D
post #1498 of 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALRAINBOW View Post

There is a consensus behind lowering the output to your headphones and getting a lower noise floor. Beyond that it is how it sounds. I just bought a krell kav400 xi. And I ordered a assortment of resistors to play with.
You do not need all . It is not that critical. And if you order 1,3,5,10 ,20,30,50,100. You can make all combo,s you will need . Once you have it down then buy the correct ones or don't but post your plight for all of us to gain a little more knowledge in this. One man to really pay attention to is S.E.

AL D

 

You must be using one of those auto-correcting  :mad: cell phones!  :tongue: 

post #1499 of 3116
Worse SCOTCH and my iPad lol.. Happy holidays

Al D
post #1500 of 3116

Lol despite ALRAINBOW's scotch/iPad predicament, he is right. Just buy a bunch of these resistors -the cheap ones, and experiment. Get them in incremental values so you can mix and match easily, and use alligator test leads instead of soldering or whatever. I had a similar situation with finding a good crossover for my supertweeters. I bought a bunch of different value caps and played around until I found the best compromise.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Speaker amps for headphones