Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!! - Page 62

post #916 of 1404
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesq View Post
 

Shini, I'm eyeing the same DAC. You pull the trigger first lol.

getting it next Wednesday, will be shipped using UPS express , so lets hope i will see it in less than 7 days.

post #917 of 1404
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydesg View Post

Just wondering hows the yulong and wa7 combo ?

Didn't see this until now.

Lovely combo. Yulong brings out a certain sense of naturalness. Details are noticeably enhanced. I sold my wa7 so I didn't have amp opportunity to test it out.
post #918 of 1404
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidPulse View Post
 

Let me help you out: Don't think of it as a combo. You are buying a great amp.  

 

It happens to have a decent DAC that you can choose to use...or not. I rarely use the DAC on the WA7... but I am glad it is there.  It makes my setup so much more flexible.  And it's nice to know that I have backup in case something happens with my primary DAC.

 

See what a difference a little change in perspective makes? ;) 

Shared perspective. When taking the WA7 mobile I can get by quite well thank-you with the internal DAC. Back in the stationary listening room often a Violectric V800 bridges between the network streamer and the WA7. It is a great amp. One very special attribute is the lack of hum or residual noise. Similar to the blackness on visual displays. Sound appears from a silent background which I find very appealing.

post #919 of 1404

i'm using a WA7 with a M2Tech Young DAC and a heavy-tweaked out Wright Sound WLA12A line-stage, with the TH-900's and i'm pretty stoked at results. i have a thing for Fostex gear (especially their full-range speaker drivers in back-loaded horns) so i was thinking about partnering the TH-900s with the HP-A8C (the remote and DSD capabilities would be handy), but the WA7 is doing just fine.

 

the WA7's DAC is fine if you have nothing to compare it to, but the Young DAC is much better at extracting information from a recording and drives the music forward. the WA7's DAC tends to sound a bit too smooth and more laid-back.

post #920 of 1404
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post


I ordered the nos cryo tubes also and right out of the box they are way better than the Sovteks. Glad I got them - thanks for the heads up!

i just ordered after groovyd's quick "its better!" good you like em too.

 

ill chime in too once i try em.

post #921 of 1404
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post


I ordered the nos cryo tubes also and right out of the box they are way better than the Sovteks. Glad I got them - thanks for the heads up!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyfungus View Post
 

i just ordered after groovyd's quick "its better!" good you like em too.

 

ill chime in too once i try em.

 

I'm interested in if the cryo tubes are better than the EH gold pins?

 

I've already read enough and heard for myself that the EH are far better than the stock Sovtek's. But could there be a tube out there that tops the EH?

post #922 of 1404
Quote:
Originally Posted by pervysage View Post



I'm interested in if the cryo tubes are better than the EH gold pins?

I've already read enough and heard for myself that the EH are far better than the stock Sovtek's. But could there be a tube out there that tops the EH?

The EH are definitely superior to the stock Sovtek to my ears, and the nos cryo-treated tubes from Tubeman are also better sounding. Even though I have only about 5 hours on the cryos, they sound very nice with my main headphones, the Grado RS1i and PS500. I am not ready to say they are better than the EH at this point but it's nice to have another option for tubes!
post #923 of 1404
Quote:
Originally Posted by pervysage View Post
 

 

I'm interested in if the cryo tubes are better than the EH gold pins?

 

I've already read enough and heard for myself that the EH are far better than the stock Sovtek's. But could there be a tube out there that tops the EH?

 

The cream of the crop may be the cryo treated EH gold pins. I managed to get hold of a pair of these some time ago and they are more dynamic, have better detail retrieval and lower noise floor than the standard EH gold. Recently I have tried to stock up on these - unfortunately I can't find them any more.

But the Sovtek cryo variety are still available. I have ordered these and will try to compare them when they arrive.

post #924 of 1404
Do any of Woo Audio's standalone amp compare to the amp in the WA7? Would WA6 be close?
post #925 of 1404
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

Do any of Woo Audio's standalone amp compare to the amp in the WA7? Would WA6 be close?
The WA6 will offer more tube rolling possibilities. I chose a WA3 for an OTL topology to contrast with the WA7. They are complimentary amps. WA7 can drive almost any headphone and bring out the best in it. For high impedance headphones the WA3 has a euphonic quality that makes for very enjoyable listening sessions, sort of rose colored glasses for the ears, if you will, with the appropriate tubes. Last night I spent the evening listening to a GEC A1834 with CBS Hytron 12AU7. Tonight it's the WA7 with stock Sovteks. Different auditory flavors.
post #926 of 1404

I am facing a weird issue with my WA7 which I thought someone in the forum may have some insight or suggestions on how to solve it or what might be the workaround for it.

I have a mid 2012 macbook pro which I want to use as source, the macbook is running 10.9.1 version of OSX (latest version). After I received the WA7, it worked (was being shown in Preferences>Sound>Output) for coupled of days (I could just use it for one hour per day) but starting two days ago when I came back from work and connected it to my MacBook it is not being shown in Preferences>Sound>Output anymore. I restarted the laptop, disconnected the power cord and reconnected, etc and none of these helped with macbook detecting my WA7 box. I switched the cord, the usb slot, etc and none of these helped.


I asked a friend and we used his laptop (Windows 7) and it is being detected on Windows after installing the driver. (We used the same cable as I was using with MacBook so the cable is ok).

Is there any known workaround or possible issues that can cause this so that I know what to do next?


On my Mac, the WA7 is not being shown under Audio MIDI setup app nor in the Preferences>Sound>Output while it works on Windows (The USB cable and the USB slots are fine on the MacBook, I tried them with other devices to be sure it is not the slots). 


Any insight and help is greatly appreciated.


Thanks.

post #927 of 1404

So I received my replacement iFi iUSB Power. Music Direct was great to deal with in getting my replacement. They even shipped out the replacement before receiving the faulty unit back so it wasn't a long wait.

 

My experience with the iUSB has been better than the first time around. After unboxing the new one, I'm starting to think the first one I received was a used unit or something. Even though it was sealed in plastic, after opening the box, there was no rubber stops on each corner to keep the device secure in the box. The inner packaging itself was kind of messed up. Replacement unit was boxed perfectly, had rubber stoppers on the corners so that the device didn't move around while shipping (which I'm guessing damaged the first unit because the IsoEarth switch arrived broken).

 

Anyways, I have noticed a boost in SQ while using the iUSB now. The biggest difference IMO is that instruments sound more realistic with the iUSB hooked up and the sound is just overall more fuller and cleaner sounding. The bass is nice and punchy.

 

It's still not a night and day difference, but it does give you a little boost in SQ. If I had to throw out a number, I'd say it gave me about a 10-15% SQ boost. I will be keeping the unit because after listening to it and hearing an improvement, I don't really want to go back to an "inferior" sound (even though the WA7 DAC alone already sounded good without it). Some reported that the iUSB gave their setup a bigger boost but I guess that goes to show you that the WA7 DAC does a good job at filtering the power and data on it's own already. I'm running the device out of my PC rigs USB port (Corsair 750W power supply, Asrock P67 Pro motherboard) so I guess it also depends on just how noisy someones source is in the first place.

 

Considering that it gave me about a 10% boost, I'm thinking the iUSB is a tad overpriced at the $200 level, and would be a better deal if it cost around $100 instead.

 

I'd say the best improvement would be just getting a more high-end dedicated DAC as that would give the most gains in SQ. Will probably upgrade to a new DAC in the future, but I can say I am really content with the sound I am getting at the moment and see no reason to rush into getting a new DAC just yet.

post #928 of 1404
Quote:
Originally Posted by pervysage View Post
 

Some reported that the iUSB gave their setup a bigger boost but I guess that goes to show you that the WA7 DAC does a good job at filtering the power and data on it's own already. I'm running the device out of my PC rigs USB port (Corsair 750W power supply, Asrock P67 Pro motherboard) so I guess it also depends on just how noisy someones source is in the first place.

 

Will probably upgrade to a new DAC in the future, but I can say I am really content with the sound I am getting at the moment and see no reason to rush into getting a new DAC just yet.

yes i know i was screaming the iUSB is greet for the last couple of months :P anyway i am gland that another one saw how good this device is, also i think it is the Corsair after all, all the dirty power is gathered in it as if its doing the spirit bomb lol.

for the DAC i am getting the Respnessence Labs Concero , 600$ (CAD) but i saw so many people getting crazy about and i don't think it a hype or something, will post about it soon, it will make my WA7 even cooler :3

post #929 of 1404
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaKa13 View Post
 

I am facing a weird issue with my WA7 which I thought someone in the forum may have some insight or suggestions on how to solve it or what might be the workaround for it.

I have a mid 2012 macbook pro which I want to use as source, the macbook is running 10.9.1 version of OSX (latest version). After I received the WA7, it worked (was being shown in Preferences>Sound>Output) for coupled of days (I could just use it for one hour per day) but starting two days ago when I came back from work and connected it to my MacBook it is not being shown in Preferences>Sound>Output anymore. I restarted the laptop, disconnected the power cord and reconnected, etc and none of these helped with macbook detecting my WA7 box. I switched the cord, the usb slot, etc and none of these helped.


I asked a friend and we used his laptop (Windows 7) and it is being detected on Windows after installing the driver. (We used the same cable as I was using with MacBook so the cable is ok).

Is there any known workaround or possible issues that can cause this so that I know what to do next?


On my Mac, the WA7 is not being shown under Audio MIDI setup app nor in the Preferences>Sound>Output while it works on Windows (The USB cable and the USB slots are fine on the MacBook, I tried them with other devices to be sure it is not the slots). 


Any insight and help is greatly appreciated.


Thanks.

 

 

We are currently working on it. Our initial suspect is compatibility issue with the latest Mac OSX Version 10.9: "Mavericks". Will other users report the issue on Mac OSX version?

 

Thanks,

Jack

Reply
post #930 of 1404
Quote:
Originally Posted by WooAudio View Post
 

 

 

We are currently working on it. Our initial suspect is compatibility issue with the latest Mac OSX Version 10.9: "Mavericks". Will other users report the issue on Mac OSX version?

 

Thanks,

Jack

 

HI All,

 

It seems this a general problem with Mac OSX 10.9 Mavericks across all USB devices. 

 

There are 2 solutions that you can try.

 

1. Remove all USB devices then restart the computer. Next, connect the Fireflies back to the Mac. 
https://discussions.apple.com/message/24212134#24212134

 

2. Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

 

Hope that helps.

Jack

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!