Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!! - Page 6

post #76 of 1498

i'm running mine in a non airconned room but ambient temperature is quite cool. I'm able to run my i7 pc at 38-40 degrees under light load, so ambient temp is about 20 degrees without much airflow. The amp and the power block are actually running quite hot, but nothing I haven't seen before.

post #77 of 1498

just finished dinner.

 

sydney is quite hot today compared to last week. 

 

the room is quite "warm" too. 

 

i turned on the amp again and lets see what will happen.

 

i dont know the temp of my dell i7 mobile workstation which i am using to type these word (and play dota2 soon:)

 

the temp of my rmbp sitting next to dell is like 48C. nothing is running except Vox playing some flac files. 

 

psu is cool now (just turned on 1 min ago)

 

metal case is cool too. 

 

local time is 10:09pm.

 

 

ps.

i did slide open a little window just behind the amp to improve the airflow.


Edited by alwaysec - 2/9/13 at 3:13am
post #78 of 1498
Thread Starter 

Been running mine for a bit over an hour and a half very loudly and non stop amp barely warm, power supply feels the same to touch. I left the aircon off all evening and its a tad over 24 inside now.

Did you check what your power supply is set to? 

 

Another note: I assume my kid was playing with my itunes as i had disturbingly bad sound tonight for about 20 mins while i fumbled to plug and unplug, and play with midi settings and pull my hair out. Turns out in the couple hours i left the computer unattended my two year old had somehow turned on the "enhancer" setting in itunes preferences. After turning this setting back to off, sound returned to normal, as did my heart rate. Not sure why it sounded so horrible though? I hadnt really ever played with this setting, so as an experiment i briefly plugged my cans direct in the Mac and messed around with it. Its lame and cringy, but no where near as distorted as once the DAC and amp are added. 


Edited by mrbigsby - 2/9/13 at 3:27am
post #79 of 1498

forgot to mention, the voltage was defaulted to 220v by a2a (i guess). 

post #80 of 1498
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbigsby View Post

Been running mine for a bit over an hour and a half very loudly and non stop amp barely warm, power supply feels the same to touch. I left the aircon off all evening and its a tad over 24 inside now.

Did you check what your power supply is set to? 

 

Another note: I assume my kid was playing with my itunes as i had disturbingly bad sound tonight for about 20 mins while i fumbled to plug and unplug, and play with midi settings and pull my hair out. Turns out in the couple hours i left the computer unattended my two year old had somehow turned on the "enhancer" setting in itunes preferences. After turning this setting back to off, sound returned to normal, as did my heart rate. Not sure why it sounded so horrible though? I hadnt really ever played with this setting, so as an experiment i briefly plugged my cans direct in the Mac and messed around with it. Its lame and cringy, but no where near as distorted as once the DAC and amp are added. 

 

i just finished one good game, the case is warm and so is the psu. 11:14pm now. 

post #81 of 1498

Having sat idle for a few hours the PSU is cold, but it is in front of a window behind my desk and it is winter here.

post #82 of 1498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post

Having sat idle for a few hours the PSU is cold, but it is in front of a window behind my desk and it is winter here.

i like winter, but summer is here.

 

it is burning hot now, both. 

 

11:58pm

post #83 of 1498

fyi

 

the setting is hi-Z and USB

post #84 of 1498
Thread Starter 

can you hold the casing or PSU for an extended period of time without being forced to let go through pain? do you have a cooking thermometer? I think we need to quantify this. Mine barely gets warm (either one). I mean their not room temp, but they dont get hot like my macbook pro power supply. rather about as warm (at best), as my iphone 4g with extended browsing use for a couple hours.

post #85 of 1498
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbigsby View Post

can you hold the casing or PSU for an extended period of time without being forced to let go through pain? do you have a cooking thermometer? I think we need to quantify this. Mine barely gets warm (either one). I mean their not room temp, but they dont get hot like my macbook pro power supply. rather about as warm (at best), as my iphone 4g with extended browsing use for a couple hours.

i can NOT hold the psu for an extended period of time. i dont have a cooking thermometer. i already turn off the mbp, so cant compare to its power supply. however, the psu is certainly hotter than the mbp power or iphone 4g (my company phone is 4g too). 

 

damn it. it seems mine does have a problem. 

 

 

ps.

the glass is very hot too


Edited by alwaysec - 2/9/13 at 5:54am
post #86 of 1498

Just shoot Jack an email. He'll probably give some insight or ask you to send it back. He needs to know if there are problems with these, so he doesn't wind up shipping other units and having more problems (Imagine if no one had told Jason about the issues with the Schiit Magni). If there is something making it unusually warm, he'll probably replace it for free.

 

EDIT: Make sure you mention you're in Australia and bought it from Addicted to Audio. He'll still support you, but it would be a good idea for him to know what the power situation is.


Edited by wes008 - 2/9/13 at 5:59am
post #87 of 1498
I would suggest acquiring an infrared thermometer, General Tools IRT207 for example, and measuring the temperatures. They are fairly inexpensive. The IR thermometer is also handy later to monitor tube temperatures. In my WA3 a 6080wc runs approx 162 deg C while a 6AS7G will run 129 deg C.
post #88 of 1498
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysec View Post

i can NOT hold the psu for an extended period of time. i dont have a cooking thermometer. i already turn off the mbp, so cant compare to its power supply. however, the psu is certainly hotter than the mbp power or iphone 4g (my company phone is 4g too). 

 

damn it. it seems mine does have a problem. 

 

 

ps.

the glass is very hot too

Sounds like you may possibly have a issue with the heat.  I had mines running almost 24 hours straight and did about 3 hours of listening in a 75 degree room.  PSU and WA7 is warm only, surprisingly runs cooler than I would expect.  I used both the Sovtek tubes and the EH in this way.  You should definitely contact Woo Audio and inquire about it.

 

One issue I am having intermittently is the sound would go to a high pitched digitized tone for a few seconds or longer sometimes.  Sounds like the DAC is resolving the data improperly or something.  I am guessing it is not the tracks I am playing as the same track can play perfectly fine sometimes and sometimes it will just slowly fade in as if the data buffering is getting overloaded or something.  Sometimes just stopping the track and restarting solves it.  Bit annoying, but still love the WA7 so far.  This is all guessing at what may be happening and only my opinion/description of what is happening for me.   Excuse me for my ignorance.  By any chance, does anyone else have this issue?  I think MrBigsby did mentioned you had a similar experience on your first day with the unit, has it occurred again for you?

 

Thanks for any input that is shared

post #89 of 1498
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsany View Post

One issue I am having intermittently is the sound would go to a high pitched digitized tone for a few seconds or longer sometimes.

I had this happen to me last night while first using the amp. I think I had been listening to it for only 10 minutes or so after a 10-15 minute warm up period. Shortly after that was a segment with cymbals that also sounded digitized. However, for at least an additional hour or so of listening the problem did not return. Including the same track with cymbals. Btw, I'm using EH tubes.

On a positive note I found the Head-Fi/HDtracks Open Your Ears sampler to be the most engaging I've ever heard it through my AKG702s which are usually one of my least used as they can be a bit bright for me. That's not to say the amp rolled off highs, it seems all the info was there but it was no longer irritating. Now I'm looking forward to pulling my Grados out to see if I can listen to them for more than the usual 15 minutes max. 😁

Happy listening everyone!
post #90 of 1498
Thread Starter 

SO glad there are more of you with WA7's now! Not so glad to hear about these two issues, but at least they are relatively isolated.

 

The only issue i HAD (now resolved) was i messed with the midi settings, clicking back n forth fast through them all to try to hear differences, and the DAC got angry. It went digitalised on the low end. Since then, (although I think its like this out of the box) ive discovered i dont get ANY sound out of the unit when i first plug it in- unless i reset the HZ setting to 42000 in the midi settings menu, then go back to 192000 and it runs perfectly. Again, i think it was always like this and could also well be my ancient MBP or file type.

 

I more likely suspect this is a firmware thing, and only a minor issue that doesnt bother me at all. Now that i know what it is, its just part of my process when turning on the unit. Im guessing there will be a download to fix these issues in the future. the actual amp/dac itself and all hardware and manufacturing are perfect for me! No heat issues (runs quite cool actually), no issues at all really. 

 

Being a gen 1 product there was bound to be some anomalies occurring. The great part about WOO Audio is their stellar reputation for addressing these issues and resolving them with good customer service. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes008 View Post

Just shoot Jack an email. He'll probably give some insight or ask you to send it back. He needs to know if there are problems with these, so he doesn't wind up shipping other units and having more problems (Imagine if no one had told Jason about the issues with the Schiit Magni). If there is something making it unusually warm, he'll probably replace it for free.

 

EDIT: Make sure you mention you're in Australia and bought it from Addicted to Audio. He'll still support you, but it would be a good idea for him to know what the power situation is.

This is good advice to start with. 

 

I myself am going to also take some of the other suggestions here and buy myself an infrared thermo just to have at home for other reviews etc, i have a lot more gear coming more regularly now.

 

Carsany: are you running MAC? you may need an OS update to fix the issue, or a simple restart and check those midi settings. Most DAC issues like that are often the computer. If this doesnt fix it try it on another  MAC that runs the minimum OS requirement +, failing that you can email Jack regarding a software update.


Edited by mrbigsby - 2/9/13 at 1:22pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!