Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › REVIEW - HiFiMAN RE-400 Waterline IEMs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

REVIEW - HiFiMAN RE-400 Waterline IEMs - Page 2

post #16 of 25

If anyone's interested, I posted some thoughts on the RE-400 when paired with my tube gear over on another RE-400 thread.

post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post

I guess it depends on who you ask. Some people, thanks to a certain engineer and his blog, feel the Sansa stuff is about as high end as you can get in terms of portables. If that's your view then by all means, enjoy your Fuze or Clip/+/zip. I don't mean that in a condescending way either - those models sound excellent to me as well (for the price) and are very impressive for what they are. 

 

However. I stand by my original statement that some high end CIEMs don't sound very good from my Fuze (not Fuze+) or Clip+. 

 

+1

 

The sansa stuff is great but not imho hifi classification.

post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llloyd View Post

 

+1

 

The sansa stuff is great but not imho hifi classification.


+2

post #19 of 25

Very nice review! I bought these headphones and am enjoying them very much.  Also as I am enjoying reading your other reviews the way you describe gear has come into sharper focus as I can base it off what I know about these IEMs. Definitely the best headphones I own in my small collection, though the others can be fun as well!

post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

Unfortunately I haven't heard the RE-272 and it's been a while for the RE-262... so no direct comparisons. But I can say that I don't recall the RE-262 sounding better than RE-400. In fact, based on memory, I'd say RE-400 is the better sounding model - and I really liked RE-262 when I heard it. But all of this is speculation because I don't have it on hand to compare, and never really owned it long term (just borrowed for a while). 

I will say that I think RE-400 could easily justify costing $150 or $200. And I could live with it as my only headphone if I had to sell all my customs for whatever reason. It's just that good. 

If you compare the RE-400 with VSONIC VSD1 or Soundmagic E-10 which one you think has more clarity, separation of instruments and good bass for listening jazz and electronic music? I use an ipod classic.
Thanks
post #21 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hriki View Post


If you compare the RE-400 with VSONIC VSD1 or Soundmagic E-10 which one you think has more clarity, separation of instruments and good bass for listening jazz and electronic music? I use an ipod classic.
Thanks

 

 

Sorry, haven't heard either of those to compare against the RE-400. 

post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post
 

I guess it depends on who you ask. Some people, thanks to a certain engineer and his blog, feel the Sansa stuff is about as high end as you can get in terms of portables. If that's your view then by all means, enjoy your Fuze or Clip/+/zip. I don't mean that in a condescending way either - those models sound excellent to me as well (for the price) and are very impressive for what they are. 

 

However. I stand by my original statement that some high end CIEMs don't sound very good from my Fuze (not Fuze+) or Clip+. 

+1 - I love the the less analytical, rich sound of my Sansa so much i pair it with a JDS cMoy and the work really well together. I actually thought the lack of resolution from the Sansa "tamed" my Shure SE410's. However if i pug my UE TripleFi10 into them and play a track, and then play that same track through my ibasso DX50, there a night and day difference in detail and resolution.

 

I think said "engineer" has a lot of good points he has made but sometimes i think too much emphasis in numbers just kills the love for sound, when you get wrapped up in trying to basically prove what someones brain should be hearing. 

 

Ears hear what ears hear.

post #23 of 25

i disagree 100%

I had a re-400 and traded for a re-262

 

imho , the 262 blow the 400 out of the water - no comparison whatsoever.

i also have the 272 and while it is better than the 262 , technically speaking, the 262 is more mid-centric and fun-sound

both are great iems and they rip apart the 400 (ok 272 costs 2.5 times more so not fair to compare)

 

it is a shame that both 262/272 are discontinued - these are some really great IEMs i wish hifiman would bring thema back.

 

 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by project86 View Post
 

 

Unfortunately I haven't heard the RE-272 and it's been a while for the RE-262... so no direct comparisons. But I can say that I don't recall the RE-262 sounding better than RE-400. In fact, based on memory, I'd say RE-400 is the better sounding model - and I really liked RE-262 when I heard it. But all of this is speculation because I don't have it on hand to compare, and never really owned it long term (just borrowed for a while). 

 

I will say that I think RE-400 could easily justify costing $150 or $200. And I could live with it as my only headphone if I had to sell all my customs for whatever reason. It's just that good. 

post #24 of 25

Great review, I'm going to order a pair of those.

post #25 of 25
Thread Starter 
Different strokes for different folks. I liked the RE-400 better and so did a few people I know. That doesn't mean anyone else has to agree though. 
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › REVIEW - HiFiMAN RE-400 Waterline IEMs