Sounds to me like you got a defective pair of HE-500's if things are falling apart in normal usage. Mine are built like a tank and the pads never begin to separate from the phones. Overall build quality on my HE-500's I'd rate 4.5/5.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productAudeze LCD2 Rev. 2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productAudio-Technica® ATH-ANC7B QuietPoint noise-canceling headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productAudio-Technica ATH-W1000 Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productShure SRH1440 Professional Open Back Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Mid monster headphones Last post on 12/18/12 at 4:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade from K701's. Last post on 9/16/12 at 3:02pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best upgrade for me? Coming from K701 and D5000 Last post on 10/31/12 at 12:07pm in Headphones (full-size)
- In search of the perfect headphone (for me, that is) Last post on 9/5/12 at 12:16am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/8/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 12/5/14
I have been using the E17 "Alpen" every day for over a year now. It is my go-to device for enjoying music at work, or anywhere other than my home office. So, here are my thoughts: Build...
VentureCraft are a Japanese company well known for their portable headphone amplifiers and amp/DAC combo units. Today, I will be taking a look at their latest offering in this category: the...
This is a quick unboxing and review of the player. More detailed review coming soon.
Hi all, I will prepare a proper review when I have some time and am not working. In short however, these are superior to any IEM I have personally used for my tastes. I listen to a vast...
Disclaimer: I was given the MEElectronics M9 Classic in return for a review. The opinions expressed in this review are 100% my own, and were not influenced by MEElectronics in any way. Before I...
A headphone shoot-out from a speaker listener - Testing eleven headphones from £ 80 to £ 1,200 - Page 2post #16 of 1192/1/13 at 2:43am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 1192/1/13 at 2:51am
Nice review. Like that you are critical, and did not expect that much. Make it seem more reliable than some of the fanatics here...
I own the HE-500, and personally I would not say the build is that bad, and the comfort is just mediocre. They don't annoy me at all, and I am coming from the beyer dt-880 which is considered as one of the most comfortable headphones.
What in your chain produce the x-bass and 3d effect?
Edited by davidsh - 2/1/13 at 2:52ampost #18 of 1192/1/13 at 3:20am
Yes I like the critical reviewing style as well because reviews where the whole thing sounds like an advert for the headphones get very tedious on here....
I do think you are being a bit overly critical of the build maybe you did get a faulty pair? I have been looking at the HE400 for a while now and usually i see complaints they are heavy but nothing about poor build quality?post #19 of 1192/1/13 at 3:46ampost #20 of 1192/1/13 at 3:47amThread Starter
I made it clear in my review that all units were used, well used. They belong to Gary (aka Gazza) from Accounts, except the Audio Technica.
I also noted that the HE-500 I had were pretty early. If anyone has some good close-up photos of a very recent samples, please let me have a look if they are now better put together.
The earpads in the HE-500 I had are clip-in and the fit poor, causing the separation of the earpads from the drivers, literally at the slightest provocation.
If I can edit I will add some remarks at the scores for the HE-500.
Cheerio Richpost #21 of 1192/1/13 at 3:55amThread Starter
These are build into the headphone amplifier:
Someone with more experience in headphone things than I have posted some comments in another thread:
post #22 of 1192/1/13 at 4:03ampost #23 of 1192/1/13 at 10:28amThread Starter
I don't know. I guess with juice you mean current? How would I know if this is so?
According to specification the iCAN draws 4 Watt in idle and up to 10 Watt when playing music, it gets quite warm for such a wee thing, not hot, hot, hot, but very comfortably warm. On cold days I love warming my hands on the case...
Cheers Richpost #24 of 1192/1/13 at 1:14pm
It only puts out some 350 mW at the 38 ohms, right? Of course if they can go full out with not distortion and still being able to deliver the appropriate current, then it shouldn't matter that much...post #25 of 1192/1/13 at 5:39pm
Build quality of HiFiMan HE headphones is utterly atrocious. I owned three and they all broke or fell apart.post #26 of 1192/1/13 at 7:53pmpost #27 of 1192/2/13 at 12:51amQuote:
Hmm maybe I will give them a miss then... Was that the newer revision or the old ones?post #28 of 1192/2/13 at 12:54amThread Starter
Hi,Quote:I did not feel that there was any lack of going loud or control with either HD-800 or HE-500. They both went well loud enough and without audible overloading. Gary who's headphones these where did not complain...
And normally it's bass that goes first and there is no sign of this, especially the HE-500 has killer bass.I am not sure if this is right, but I think as the HE-500 are 89dB/1mW this is kind of like my speakers being 89dB/1W right?So the 350mW for the Headphones would be like 350 Watt Amplifiers for my Speakers, innit?I drive my speakers only with 50 Watt and they seem to do fine. I don't think I could handle anything five times as loud as these go now, even if the Speakers could).Cheers Richpost #29 of 1192/2/13 at 1:27amThread Starter
Sorry to hear of your trouble. At least you confirm I'm not quite as mad as a bag of ferrets or the only one with a dud.
I guess the lesson again is, buy stuff in person and make sure it's pukka. Or if buying on line, make sure you got brilliant backup from the seller in case of troubles like, even if its a bit dearer...
I hope you got sorted in the end or your wedge back...
post #30 of 1192/2/13 at 1:29amQuote:
This is certainly true and can hardly be denied. Awful fitting system that promotes no confidence at all that the earpads aren't going to unclip at any moment. The fact that they move slightly with every head movement doesn't inspire confidence either.
- A headphone shoot-out from a speaker listener - Testing eleven headphones from £ 80 to £ 1,200
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 seconds ago
- › Creative Sound Blaster X7 - Detailed Review & Impressions 1 minute ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 1 minute ago
- › How does amp circuitry work? 2 minutes ago
- › Introducing the T10i, an all new IEM from RHA 3 minutes ago
- › Comparisons: 24 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around 3 minutes ago
- › The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread 3 minutes ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 4 minutes ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 4 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 5 minutes ago
- › FiiO E17 by prez
- › VentureCraft SounDroid Vantam by fonzler
- › Sony Walkman Nw-zx2 128gb Mp3 Player Hi-res by piksnz
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Wyd4
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by DisCHORDDubstep
- › PonoMusic PonoPlayer by piksnz
- › EarTech Music Dual Driver Custom Molded In Ear Musician Monitors... by acain
- › PSB M4U 1 by prez
- › 1 More Design Piston Crystal by banjoanton
- › Schiit Magni 2 by Willy 2 Streams
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3