Sounds to me like you got a defective pair of HE-500's if things are falling apart in normal usage. Mine are built like a tank and the pads never begin to separate from the phones. Overall build quality on my HE-500's I'd rate 4.5/5.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K 701 Whitetagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productAudeze LCD2 Rev. 2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productAudio-Technica® ATH-ANC7B QuietPoint noise-canceling headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productAudio-Technica ATH-W1000 Headphones, ¹tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productGrado SR60 Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productHiFiMAN HE-500tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productShure SRH1440 Professional Open Back Headphones Blacktagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Mid monster headphones Last post on 12/18/12 at 4:55pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Best upgrade for me? Coming from K701 and D5000 Last post on 10/31/12 at 12:07pm in Headphones (full-size)
- HD600 - Finding A Better Amp? Last post on 5/3/14 at 12:03am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headamp for the HD650, K712, maybe HD800 Last post on 5/3/14 at 4:10am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Headphones for DNA Sonett Last post on 3/26/14 at 10:04pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 7/11/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/25/14
This is my second attempt at a review of the Brainwavz S5, my first attempt ended up in the bin yesterday, as I was looking at it from the wrong angle (some forum members wanted a comparison to...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
A headphone shoot-out from a speaker listener - Testing eleven headphones from £ 80 to £ 1,200 - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Nice review. Like that you are critical, and did not expect that much. Make it seem more reliable than some of the fanatics here...
I own the HE-500, and personally I would not say the build is that bad, and the comfort is just mediocre. They don't annoy me at all, and I am coming from the beyer dt-880 which is considered as one of the most comfortable headphones.
What in your chain produce the x-bass and 3d effect?
Edited by davidsh - 2/1/13 at 2:52am
Yes I like the critical reviewing style as well because reviews where the whole thing sounds like an advert for the headphones get very tedious on here....
I do think you are being a bit overly critical of the build maybe you did get a faulty pair? I have been looking at the HE400 for a while now and usually i see complaints they are heavy but nothing about poor build quality?
I made it clear in my review that all units were used, well used. They belong to Gary (aka Gazza) from Accounts, except the Audio Technica.
I also noted that the HE-500 I had were pretty early. If anyone has some good close-up photos of a very recent samples, please let me have a look if they are now better put together.
The earpads in the HE-500 I had are clip-in and the fit poor, causing the separation of the earpads from the drivers, literally at the slightest provocation.
If I can edit I will add some remarks at the scores for the HE-500.
These are build into the headphone amplifier:
Someone with more experience in headphone things than I have posted some comments in another thread:
I don't know. I guess with juice you mean current? How would I know if this is so?
According to specification the iCAN draws 4 Watt in idle and up to 10 Watt when playing music, it gets quite warm for such a wee thing, not hot, hot, hot, but very comfortably warm. On cold days I love warming my hands on the case...
It only puts out some 350 mW at the 38 ohms, right? Of course if they can go full out with not distortion and still being able to deliver the appropriate current, then it shouldn't matter that much...
Build quality of HiFiMan HE headphones is utterly atrocious. I owned three and they all broke or fell apart.
Hmm maybe I will give them a miss then... Was that the newer revision or the old ones?
And normally it's bass that goes first and there is no sign of this, especially the HE-500 has killer bass.
Sorry to hear of your trouble. At least you confirm I'm not quite as mad as a bag of ferrets or the only one with a dud.
I guess the lesson again is, buy stuff in person and make sure it's pukka. Or if buying on line, make sure you got brilliant backup from the seller in case of troubles like, even if its a bit dearer...
I hope you got sorted in the end or your wedge back...
This is certainly true and can hardly be denied. Awful fitting system that promotes no confidence at all that the earpads aren't going to unclip at any moment. The fact that they move slightly with every head movement doesn't inspire confidence either.
- A headphone shoot-out from a speaker listener - Testing eleven headphones from £ 80 to £ 1,200
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › New guy, looking for suggestions sub $250 (Not your standard request) 2 seconds ago
- › Pictures of Your *Mid-Fi* Portable Rig ($200 - $600) 15 seconds ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 26 seconds ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 49 seconds ago
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon Thread 55 seconds ago
- › Master & Dynamic MH40 Over Ear Headphone 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Help! I need a pair of good quality cans that I can use with... 2 minutes ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 4 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Duncan
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)