or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) - Page 71

post #1051 of 3083
I really dislike the incredibly detailed specifications and rules - It's supposed to make the races more "competitive" - but all it does is remove true innovation. The difference between winning and losing becomes a game of tiny differences that no one other than the race team engineers really understand - or it is just luck based on who doesn't break today. I say turn 'em lose! Let them use all the ground effects they can get, all the horsepower they can generate and all the computer power they can afford. Or, how about tires that change their characteristics based on whether there are lateral forces present? So, they are hard during the straights and then get more and more sticky the harder you corner. Heck, I want to see fusion power, maglevs & ramjets!! And inertialess-drives!! You would then need gel-filled cockpits to dampen the g force on the driver - at least until artificial gravity is introduced... biggrin.gif
post #1052 of 3083

I dare not imagine what Newey would come up with if the rules are stripped.

 

Also, I wonder how much horsepower they can generate with 4 cylinders today. 1982's F1 car generates 1.500hp with 4cyl engine if I'm not mistaken.

post #1053 of 3083
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62ohm View Post
 

I dare not imagine what Newey would come up with if the rules are stripped.

 

Also, I wonder how much horsepower they can generate with 4 cylinders today. 1982's F1 car generates 1.500hp with 4cyl engine if I'm not mistaken.


Yeah the BMW turbo motor was pushing 1500, and a little more before they banned rocket fuel.

post #1054 of 3083

Some good news at last...

 

Michael Schumacher awake

post #1055 of 3083

Hope he recovers.

post #1056 of 3083
I'm really glad he's awake and starting rehab. There is so little info on his actual condition.
post #1057 of 3083

Holy Schiit, finally a Williams on pole!

post #1058 of 3083

I really need to unsubscribe to this thread.

post #1059 of 3083
Ya, I avoid this place for days when a race weekend is on.

Since I usually watch the modern equivalent of tape delayed, I suffer through media blackouts - sometime for days at a time. It's easier in when I'm in North America - because of the time difference with the majority of races, and because if the race isn't in Canada, or the US, it'll never make the local news unless you go searching for it.

Don't understand how some people, coughferraricough, can keep whinging that the racing this year is boring.
post #1060 of 3083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudu View Post

Don't understand how some people, coughferraricough, can keep whinging that the racing this year is boring.

Sure, but you can't argue with the fact that stopping engine developments was stupid.

 

Sure the competition in the midfield is tough, but I'd like to see even more of it everywhere else, not just with MB powered teams.

post #1061 of 3083
Quote:
Originally Posted by customcoco View Post
 

Sure, but you can't argue with the fact that stopping engine developments was stupid.

 

Sure the competition in the midfield is tough, but I'd like to see even more of it everywhere else, not just with MB powered teams.


Yes, in a sport that flies over to Canada for one race, back to Europe and then back to the States, halting development for "cost savings" doesn't really carry a lot of credibility.;)

post #1062 of 3083

It does make sense because the costs for engine developement is much higher and they get some money back from the races in Canada and US hopefully.

 

It don´t change the fact that you need a big budget to be able to compete in F1 though but letting it loose the difference to the blueberry teams would only get greater so it does work in that regard.

F1 is not all that much about racing to me. It´s about the best car wins so it´s just right Mercedez go on a winning streak now. Red bull can moan about their Renault Engine all their want and Ferrari has to moan about F1 in general since they make their own engines ;). Just sour grapes.

 

What is fascinating is how bad a team like McLaren can då with a winner engine. They are getting beaten by teams nowhere near their budget.

post #1063 of 3083
Quote:
Originally Posted by oqvist View Post
 

It does make sense because the costs for engine developement is much higher and they get some money back from the races in Canada and US hopefully.

 

It don´t change the fact that you need a big budget to be able to compete in F1 though but letting it loose the difference to the blueberry teams would only get greater so it does work in that regard.

F1 is not all that much about racing to me. It´s about the best car wins so it´s just right Mercedez go on a winning streak now. Red bull can moan about their Renault Engine all their want and Ferrari has to moan about F1 in general since they make their own engines ;). Just sour grapes.

 

What is fascinating is how bad a team like McLaren can då with a winner engine. They are getting beaten by teams nowhere near their budget.


You get money for placement, period. If a better engine moves you up in the finishing order thats potentially worth 10's of millions. Spread that over a few teams and all of a sudden freezing development makes about as much sense as asking Hamilton what he thinks about Britney.

 

Ferrari is a (actually the only) legacy team. They get a cut right of the top of Bernies profits before the money is divied up. They have been preying upon their prestige for years. Moaning is what they DO when their car is a dog and they cannot figure it out. At least now they have Baron Harkkonen back as their official whipping boy:)

Mac and Ferrari are very much two sides of the same coin. When they get it wrong, they go all the way. Going to look excruisatingly dismal for them if their best finish of the year is Magnussons. They never should have brought Denis back.He's simply the "Old Yeller of F1 now.

post #1064 of 3083

Still the overall costs would be higher there is no way around it so don´t quite see your point. There is some teams that would benefit from this and other would loose out. Status quo just higher cost overall. 

post #1065 of 3083
Quote:
Originally Posted by oqvist View Post
 

Still the overall costs would be higher there is no way around it so don´t quite see your point. There is some teams that would benefit from this and other would loose out. Status quo just higher cost overall. 


It's called competitive racing rather than the fixed status quo reigning from beginning to end of the season. When I hear nonesense about cost savings in a sport that pays pilots in the 10's of millions of dollars per year, I just have to laugh.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!)