- 4 Posts. Joined 1/2013
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Help Finding Great Headphones for Home Theatre Use Last post on 1/23/13 at 10:22pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for a pair of headphones (Budget ~$350) Last post on 1/11/13 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- Best closed Headphones within $300- $450 Last post on 5/9/13 at 11:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone advice Last post on 12/19/12 at 5:54pm in Headphones (full-size)
- List some headphones upto 500$ which dont require amp Last post on 12/26/12 at 8:11pm in Headphones (full-size)
Before I get into my review, some disclosure: I received a free loaner unit as part of a mini North American tour, set up and sponsored by @EmpJ of CTC Audio. I got to keep the unit for a...
First off, I want to thank Brainwavz and Audrey for this BLU-100 unit. Packaging and Accessories I received the BLU-100 before its release and it came in the Brainwavz iem case without...
These have been the best headphones I have used for $99. For the few weeks they worked, it was amazing. Unfortunately, after a few weeks, the right earcup detached from the headband. They seem to...
It was a long time since I orignally intended to write this review as I wanted to check black Velvet in addition to the Crystal velvet I've had. You can find a lot of impression on Head-fi...
The ATH-CK9’s were purchased by me and I’m not in any way affiliated with Audio-Technica. Built and accessories: The ATH-CKR9 is a dual dynamic IEM featuring two 13mm drivers. The drivers are...
Closed back headphones help
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Hi, new here. I'm looking for a set of closed back headphones for personal listening. I listen to a wide range of stuff from classical, to blues, and electronic music. Looking for something that has good clarity but also smooth highs. Not going to use them for any studio mixing etc. but more or less just for personal listening while traveling. Been using in-ear types for a while, but want something with a larger sized drivers. Budget is around $500. What would you recommend? Thanks in advance.
Mr Speaker Mad Dog with SR007 Stax Pads.
Or look into:
Denon D5000 (discontinued; maybe you can find them)
Ultrasone PRO 750
Beyer DT770 (premium; not pro; discontinued but maybe you can find them)
And tweak treble where needed.
As Mal mentioned, the Mad Dogs are one of my current favorites for just $300 I think it rivals a LOT of lower/higher priced headphones!
You could also look into the other variant of modded Fostex T50RP, the Paradox.
The Shure SRH940s were my favorites for quite a while, but keep in mind that they don't have a lot of bass presence, hence not as "neutral-ish" as the previous two headphones mentioned. (but it does have awesome mids).
My current favorites, Ultrasone Signature Pro, are great also. You could probably find them for $800 or so if you look real hard! (it's harder now that RMC Audio seems is not selling them anymore! :-( )
Smeggy Thunderpants are my favorite closed-back headphones, and I've tried a bunch from almost all manufacturers in the sub-$500 range.
- Closed back headphones help
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Fiio X3 vs Cowon J3 36 seconds ago
- › Aune S16 dac and headphone amp 53 seconds ago
- › Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792, BTL Amplication Circuit, 24/192,... 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 2 minutes ago
- › Orthodynamic Roundup 2 minutes ago
- › whats the best closed cans head phones 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The Active Noise Cancellation Bluetooth Headphones thread - quick... 4 minutes ago
- › HE-400 vs HD650 5 minutes ago
- › [Review] Yulong D200 5 minutes ago
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by hakushondaimao
- › Brainwavz BLU-100 Bluetooth IEMs by kova4a
- › Grado Labs SR80e by SeraphSolus
- › EarSonics Velvet by LMka
- › Audio-Technica In-Ear Headphones ATH-CKR9 (Japan Import) by peter123
- › Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 Studio - Headphones ( in-ear ear-bud ) -... by Lewzke
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by chowmein83
- › Alclair Curve by Brooko
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by wofsie
- › Etymotic Research HF5 Portable In-Ear Earphones by Chiek
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2