Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › ALO Audio International Impressions and Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ALO Audio International Impressions and Appreciation Thread - Page 3

post #31 of 45

What's a CCK?

 

I just double checked to make sure my International works with my MBA -- at first nothing -- but then I remembered I forgot to change settings on my MBA in System Prefs | Sound - and select ALO device. Works like a charm. I just connected the Solo db - same thing - just select the Cypher device listed in the output section and it works great. Listening to Sumner McKane right now -- beautiful sound...

post #32 of 45

Now I have a question --- I just tried to use the lightning cable I used to connect my iPhone 5 to the Solo db to connect to the ALO International -- but what appears to be a mini usb connector on the cable doesn't fit the ALO - it seems a touch too big. The strange thing is my nice Furutech usb cable fits both the Solo and the International.

 

Is there a mini a / mini b connector?

 

If so -- how do I go about finding a lightning cable that will fit the ALO so I can test to see if it works with my iPhone 5 directly? I see on the ALO site they claim that with iOS7, you can now use the DAC in the International with the iPhone 5 -- that would be nice - I could keep the Solo db at home...

post #33 of 45

CCK = Apple's Camera Connection Kit. Here is a link:

 

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD821ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter

post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by notraces View Post

I used a connector the headphone shop said they got from Cypher. You may want to send them a note to ask.

"The people at ALO never tried using The International with an iPhone 5s to see if it works or not."

I don't think that's unreasonable given the 5s is brand spanking new. I don't think you can assume that what works for the iPhone 5 will also work on the 5s.

And - I missed the part about your International not working with your MBA - mine works fine (with and without the Solo).

 

Should I send a note to the headphone shop or Cypher?

 

You're right, you can't assume that. But, before I bought The International from ALO, they told me the iPhone 5s would work with The International.

post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by voteforpedro View Post
 

...The ALO International has never been marketed as anything other than a USB DAC, which in turn means no promises it will or won't work with iOS devices. They have communicated that the iPhone 5 with the CCK does work, though.

 

This is from ALO Audio's facebook page:

 

Breaking News! With iOS 7 you can now use your iPhone 5 as a source with The International. Check out the video below and see for yourself!
 
And, there's a video on their facebook page showing the iPhone 5 working with The International. So, it is marketed (by ALO) to work with an iOS device -- the iPhone 5. I was told by the people at ALO that the iPhone 5s would work with The International.
post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by notraces View Post
 

What's a CCK?

 

I just double checked to make sure my International works with my MBA -- at first nothing -- but then I remembered I forgot to change settings on my MBA in System Prefs | Sound - and select ALO device. Works like a charm. I just connected the Solo db - same thing - just select the Cypher device listed in the output section and it works great. Listening to Sumner McKane right now -- beautiful sound...

 

You're lucky, because the ALO device never showed up on my MBA in System Prefs | Sound. For some reason it never has.

post #37 of 45

Call Cypher for the connector I referred to -- or send an email.

 

And -- my MBA is running - 10.8.5 for reference.

 

My challenge now is finding a Lightning to Mini B connector so I can use the ALO DAC with the iPhone -- I don't know how else you'd connect the two.

post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by notraces View Post
 

If so -- how do I go about finding a lightning cable that will fit the ALO so I can test to see if it works with my iPhone 5 directly? I see on the ALO site they claim that with iOS7, you can now use the DAC in the International with the iPhone 5 -- that would be nice - I could keep the Solo db at home...

 

Since Best Buy is closer to my house, I bought the "Lightning to USB Camera Adapter" there. After you pick-up the adapter, please let me know if you can get your iPhone 5 to work with The International. Thanks.

post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by notraces View Post
 

Call Cypher for the connector I referred to -- or send an email.

 

And -- my MBA is running - 10.8.5 for reference.

 

My challenge now is finding a Lightning to Mini B connector so I can use the ALO DAC with the iPhone -- I don't know how else you'd connect the two.

 

Thank you. I'll call Cypher tomorrow. My MBA is also running 10.8.5. There's a video on ALO Audio's facebook page showing how to connect the two.

 

Here's a link to the video:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201335605985218&set=vb.110094225748830&type=3&theater

post #40 of 45
I just got back fro Apple - picked up the lightning / USB camera connector - everything works great with the international. I will say it took maybe 20 seconds to handshake devices - but I'm listening as I send this.
post #41 of 45
Does one of your friends own an iPhone 5s? It would be nice to know if you can get the iPhone 5s to work.

I went to RadioShack and tried one of their cables, and it still didn't work. I might just have a bad unit.
post #42 of 45
Sorry, I don't. It does seem like you've got something broken. The unit should work easily with your MBA.
post #43 of 45
You're right. Before I give up, I'll have them send me a new one. Thanks again for your help.
post #44 of 45
Can anyone tell how the ALO International compares to V-Moda Vamp Verza? My V-Moda died and I am going to the dealer and thought maybe I ask him to swap it against this one.

Does ALO International actually work with iPod classic 160GB?
Edited by DjHiFi - 1/10/14 at 1:07pm
post #45 of 45

Sure it does. You need the Lightning Camera Connection Kit, but it works just fine.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › ALO Audio International Impressions and Appreciation Thread