Hello guys, first post so hope you don't mind if I make any errors and mods feel free to fix them. My question is, I have a budget of around $100. I have narrowed the selection I am looking at to AKG and V-Moda. I listen to mainly Metal, rock and rap. I do like an enriched bass sound but still love the sound of crisp mids and highs. I will be driving these with a Mitsubishi M-VR 600 amp. Will either of these headphones be able to handle this type of power? Also, what advantages do you guys think each have over each other? I am coming from a pair of Sennheiser hd429's. Need something with a little more power and clarity. Thanks for the help!
- productV-MODA LP2tagged by System, 3/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Pioneer HDJ500W or AKG K142HD? Last post on 8/27/13 at 9:52am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Dr. Dre Trade - The adventure of bad Headphones Last post on 12/9/12 at 10:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help Picking Out New DJ Cans (~$150) Last post on 9/15/12 at 4:57am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
I was looking for closed headphones with a pricetag up to €200 that could be used without an amp. After some research and listening sessions I bought the M50x. There's really not a lot to say about...
If you look at my profile, I stay within a small range of products that have worked for my son and I. These include V-Moda, Westone, Audio Technica and Klipsch. Each have their own strenghts,...
I've had Mentor for nearly a month before selling it and JH16fp (first deciding to sell Mentor, then putting it on hold, then selling JH, then finally selling Mentor) and thought I'd share my...
When my 2 year old DBA02 mkii's lost left channel signal strength, I needed a replacement, pronto. I took note of some good sounding <$100 IEMs from |joker|'s list and headed off to the nearest...
When it comes to Edifier, they are best known for their desktop PC speaker range and acquiring the prestigious electrostatic headphone company Stax. But just because they now own Stax doesn’t mean...
V-Moda Crossfade LP vs. AKG K240MK2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I dont know virtually anything about the AKGs, I have considered picking myself up a pair though, but I do own a pair of the V-Moda LP2s. All I can tell you is that the normal V-Moda LPs may not suit your musical interest very well. The LP2 is said to be a vast improvement over the normal LP, sound quality wise. And even though I LOVE my LP2s I must say they dont have the strongest treble ability and do not do particularly well with metal and rock.
The LP2s and LPs are both bass emphasized cans, which does take away from the treble ability. I listen to plenty of rock and metal on my LP2s but I cant say that it is amazing. So since the LP2s are said to have better sound quality over the LPs, I wouldnt be too confident in their ability to perform well on metal and rock, the rap should do well though with the bass emphasizing.
Thanks for the reply! I have heard in some reviews of the treble in the moda's to be dampened by the bass. Also that they don't have a stable sound throughout the genres. If I could get the same amount of bass out of the AKG's with better mids and highs it sounds like that would be the better option.
If you are going to look further into the AKGs, Ive come across a few other models of theirs within your price range on Amazon, if one does not fit your need then the others might.
Personally I would begin my search with the K142 HD, as it is a semi open-backed design. As Ive read open back models such as Grado or Sennheiser HD600/HD650 are quite good with Metal/Rock/Acoustic based listening.
Yeah, I was looking at the k127mk2 too. The problem with the semi open design is that I may possibly use these in a car and would not like a lot of sound leakage. I also like the option of interchangeable ear pads and cables.
The AKG K271 MKII has interchangeable cables and ear pads, also closed back design for a good seal. But I do not know how it performs on treble needy music, I am only giving you some suggestions. You might search up some reviews on the K271 MKII for further insight.
EDIT: The K240 MKII also has interchangeable cables and ear pads, forgot to mention. As I said only giving suggestions, in the end its up to you.
Edited by Aaron94 - 1/29/13 at 7:23pm
- V-Moda Crossfade LP vs. AKG K240MK2
- › Android: Neutron Music Player 18 seconds ago
- › Jazz Recommendations from this Century 29 seconds ago
- › Headphones for large heads 1 minute ago
- › New Audeze LCD3 1 minute ago
- › Sony MDR-V6 (Where to Buy) 1 minute ago
- › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › Woo WA2 Tube Rolling Recommendations 2 minutes ago
- › Fresh outta CES: The Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier 3 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 3 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude