Hello guys, first post so hope you don't mind if I make any errors and mods feel free to fix them. My question is, I have a budget of around $100. I have narrowed the selection I am looking at to AKG and V-Moda. I listen to mainly Metal, rock and rap. I do like an enriched bass sound but still love the sound of crisp mids and highs. I will be driving these with a Mitsubishi M-VR 600 amp. Will either of these headphones be able to handle this type of power? Also, what advantages do you guys think each have over each other? I am coming from a pair of Sennheiser hd429's. Need something with a little more power and clarity. Thanks for the help!
- productV-MODA LP2tagged by System, 3/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Pioneer HDJ500W or AKG K142HD? Last post on 8/27/13 at 9:52am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Dr. Dre Trade - The adventure of bad Headphones Last post on 12/9/12 at 10:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help Picking Out New DJ Cans (~$150) Last post on 9/15/12 at 4:57am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
first thing first , if you have doubts , please let me clear them , these are some of the best $20 phones in this world . secondly , thanks to razzer001 , thanks man ,...
OVERVIEW The Effect Studio Thor Silver IEM Upgrade cable is the new flagship made from quad-braided pure UPOCC silver that has been cryo treated and put together with Cardas silver solder. The...
So, I've owned the 4.A and 4.ai as well as the ER4S and wanted to try something different. In retrospect, I almost pulled the trigger on the Noble 4, but I recall that the infamous dip with the...
These hurt my head almost right away. The good sound quality is not noticeable when my ears and head hurts. Having said that, the price is low and if you don't like them then just return them.
This will be a short review based on maybe on 12-15 hours of use. If you think that's not long enough you can skip it. I was a bit worried that this would be some cheap gimmicky toy amp because...
V-Moda Crossfade LP vs. AKG K240MK2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I dont know virtually anything about the AKGs, I have considered picking myself up a pair though, but I do own a pair of the V-Moda LP2s. All I can tell you is that the normal V-Moda LPs may not suit your musical interest very well. The LP2 is said to be a vast improvement over the normal LP, sound quality wise. And even though I LOVE my LP2s I must say they dont have the strongest treble ability and do not do particularly well with metal and rock.
The LP2s and LPs are both bass emphasized cans, which does take away from the treble ability. I listen to plenty of rock and metal on my LP2s but I cant say that it is amazing. So since the LP2s are said to have better sound quality over the LPs, I wouldnt be too confident in their ability to perform well on metal and rock, the rap should do well though with the bass emphasizing.
Thanks for the reply! I have heard in some reviews of the treble in the moda's to be dampened by the bass. Also that they don't have a stable sound throughout the genres. If I could get the same amount of bass out of the AKG's with better mids and highs it sounds like that would be the better option.
If you are going to look further into the AKGs, Ive come across a few other models of theirs within your price range on Amazon, if one does not fit your need then the others might.
Personally I would begin my search with the K142 HD, as it is a semi open-backed design. As Ive read open back models such as Grado or Sennheiser HD600/HD650 are quite good with Metal/Rock/Acoustic based listening.
Yeah, I was looking at the k127mk2 too. The problem with the semi open design is that I may possibly use these in a car and would not like a lot of sound leakage. I also like the option of interchangeable ear pads and cables.
The AKG K271 MKII has interchangeable cables and ear pads, also closed back design for a good seal. But I do not know how it performs on treble needy music, I am only giving you some suggestions. You might search up some reviews on the K271 MKII for further insight.
EDIT: The K240 MKII also has interchangeable cables and ear pads, forgot to mention. As I said only giving suggestions, in the end its up to you.
Edited by Aaron94 - 1/29/13 at 7:23pm
- V-Moda Crossfade LP vs. AKG K240MK2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Audeze LCD-X 3 seconds ago
- › Music Game IX 8 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 31 seconds ago
- › ☆★☆New guy needs some recommendations on affordable amp☆★☆ 33 seconds ago
- › Audio-gd NFB-28 56 seconds ago
- › Rega Ear + HD650 (+Oehlbach) + Aureon 5.1 Sky review 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › AKG new headphone K545? 2 minutes ago
- › RHA MA-750i Review 5 minutes ago
- › [REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2, plus comparisons (Added ER4S) 5 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz Delta by suman134
- › Effect Audio Thor cable by average_joe
- › Heir Audio Tzar 350 by alpha421
- › Panasonic RP-HC720-K Over Ear Headphones Noise Canceling 95% by oostrov
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by tdockweiler
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by lexangl
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by TThorsen
- › EB92 In-Ear MicroFit Monitors by MadMusicJunkie
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by xoriac
- › Roland RH-200 Monitor Headphones by IEMagnet01
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe