Hello guys, first post so hope you don't mind if I make any errors and mods feel free to fix them. My question is, I have a budget of around $100. I have narrowed the selection I am looking at to AKG and V-Moda. I listen to mainly Metal, rock and rap. I do like an enriched bass sound but still love the sound of crisp mids and highs. I will be driving these with a Mitsubishi M-VR 600 amp. Will either of these headphones be able to handle this type of power? Also, what advantages do you guys think each have over each other? I am coming from a pair of Sennheiser hd429's. Need something with a little more power and clarity. Thanks for the help!
- productV-MODA LP2tagged by System, 3/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Pioneer HDJ500W or AKG K142HD? Last post on 8/27/13 at 9:52am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Dr. Dre Trade - The adventure of bad Headphones Last post on 12/9/12 at 10:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Help Picking Out New DJ Cans (~$150) Last post on 9/15/12 at 4:57am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
Remember: "Stay away from Razer". Razer headphones are just meant to be "fun" for a certain amount of time. After a few weeks they either break or become really uncomfortable. The sound is overall...
First I’d like to thank HiFiMAN for sending me their new HM-700 DAP and RE-400B (balanced version of the RE-400) bundle for me to review. I have always wondered about the balanced players that...
Foreword Chinese/HK headphone manufacturer Astrotec is known for its value-priced products (beginning with their lauded AM90), and they've stuck to their guns by pricing the AX35 (and its near...
When I bought these headphones about 2 months ago, I didn't expect much and I bought them without trying them out. It was an impulse buy to be honest, they were on a considerable discount and I...
I have had these now for a few months. I heard they had a very bass orientated sound but not so much that it ruins everything else. When i first purchased these i was a bit confused as to why they...
V-Moda Crossfade LP vs. AKG K240MK2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I dont know virtually anything about the AKGs, I have considered picking myself up a pair though, but I do own a pair of the V-Moda LP2s. All I can tell you is that the normal V-Moda LPs may not suit your musical interest very well. The LP2 is said to be a vast improvement over the normal LP, sound quality wise. And even though I LOVE my LP2s I must say they dont have the strongest treble ability and do not do particularly well with metal and rock.
The LP2s and LPs are both bass emphasized cans, which does take away from the treble ability. I listen to plenty of rock and metal on my LP2s but I cant say that it is amazing. So since the LP2s are said to have better sound quality over the LPs, I wouldnt be too confident in their ability to perform well on metal and rock, the rap should do well though with the bass emphasizing.
Thanks for the reply! I have heard in some reviews of the treble in the moda's to be dampened by the bass. Also that they don't have a stable sound throughout the genres. If I could get the same amount of bass out of the AKG's with better mids and highs it sounds like that would be the better option.
If you are going to look further into the AKGs, Ive come across a few other models of theirs within your price range on Amazon, if one does not fit your need then the others might.
Personally I would begin my search with the K142 HD, as it is a semi open-backed design. As Ive read open back models such as Grado or Sennheiser HD600/HD650 are quite good with Metal/Rock/Acoustic based listening.
Yeah, I was looking at the k127mk2 too. The problem with the semi open design is that I may possibly use these in a car and would not like a lot of sound leakage. I also like the option of interchangeable ear pads and cables.
The AKG K271 MKII has interchangeable cables and ear pads, also closed back design for a good seal. But I do not know how it performs on treble needy music, I am only giving you some suggestions. You might search up some reviews on the K271 MKII for further insight.
EDIT: The K240 MKII also has interchangeable cables and ear pads, forgot to mention. As I said only giving suggestions, in the end its up to you.
Edited by Aaron94 - 1/29/13 at 7:23pm
- V-Moda Crossfade LP vs. AKG K240MK2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Audiophiles in Dubai? 1 second ago
- › Best closed back headphone for gaming 10 seconds ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 34 seconds ago
- › My Brainwavz HM5 broke! What should I upgrade to? 40 seconds ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.2.8 2 minutes ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 2 minutes ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 2 minutes ago
- › Wondering if the NVX XPT100 would be good for me 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 3 minutes ago
- › Almost brand new HD800 -Very Late S/N 23464 Suit new buyer *... 3 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob