Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Yulong's new DA8
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Yulong's new DA8 - Page 16

post #226 of 500

It seems a high value compared to the DAC on the market (at least among those that indicate the data on consumption...)

post #227 of 500

There's something weird going on -switching to DSD . I often have to cycle to the inputs , because I either get noise on one channel or it sounds like one channel is playing on both sides ..like mono. After that everything is back to normal. I wonder if anyone else has experienced the same ...

post #228 of 500

So the default RCA output voltage of the DA8 is 2v. When using as a DAC/pre-amp, does anyone know the RCA output voltage with volume at maximum?

post #229 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubenpp View Post

There's something weird going on -switching to DSD . I often have to cycle to the inputs , because I either get noise on one channel or it sounds like one channel is playing on both sides ..like mono. After that everything is back to normal. I wonder if anyone else has experienced the same ...

 

Odd. To be honest, I haven't bothered to try DSD yet. I'll try to find time soon and post my results. Is this every time or just sometimes? 

post #230 of 500

I think as often as  when I switch from other formats , to DSD . However on my system it is almost always noise ..like hissing sound , however yesterday a friend and I were comparing the DA8 to 3 other dacs , Luxman-D05 builtin, DA-06 and the Chord QuteHD. Once we were at the point of comparing DSD , both of us immediately noticed how badly the DA8 was fairing ..(it sounded mono) so he cycled through the inputs and only then did the DA8 perform admirably. I apologize if I cannot write about the comparison in detail , not because I don't want to , but rather bec. I am not very good at writing about these things. Suffice to say that the DA8 was very very close on SQ with PCM vs D-05 and DSD vs DA-06 . The material was limited to classical music only :-)


Edited by rubenpp - 6/9/13 at 1:06pm
post #231 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojolo View Post

So the default RCA output voltage of the DA8 is 2v. When using as a DAC/pre-amp, does anyone know the RCA output voltage with volume at maximum?

 

Isn't that the maximum output, 2v? Why would it be different?

post #232 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubenpp View Post

I think as often as  when I switch from other formats , to DSD . However on my system it is almost always noise ..like hissing sound , however yesterday a friend and I were comparing the DA8 to 3 other dacs , Luxman-D05 builtin, DA-06 and the Chord QuteHD. Once we were at the point of comparing DSD , both of us immediately noticed how badly the DA8 was fairing ..(it sounded mono) so he cycled through the inputs and only then did the DA8 perform admirably. I apologize if I cannot write about the comparison in detail , not because I don't want to , but rather bec. I am not very good at writing about these things. Suffice to say that the DA8 was very very close on SQ with PCM vs D-05 and DSD vs DA-06 . The material was limited to classical music only :-)

 

Odd. I'll definitely play some DSD the first chance I get, and let you know if I hear anything funky. But nice to hear the DA8 can hang with the Luxman gear. The only Luxman DAC I ever heard was an older model, I forget the exact number, but I found it very warm and analog sounding. Maybe too much so. But I don't know if they continue that same character in the newer models. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwhere View Post

 

Isn't that the maximum output, 2v? Why would it be different?

 

 

I think that's what he's asking. I'd say 2V is the max voltage for RCA, and 4.2V for XLR. That's in Pure DAC mode or else in variable mode with the volume cranked all the way. It won't go higher than those numbers. 

post #233 of 500

Project86, 

 

Have you had a chance to hear the new Benchmark DAC2? If you have, how would you compare the DA-8 against it?

post #234 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgx78 View Post

Project86, 

 

Have you had a chance to hear the new Benchmark DAC2? If you have, how would you compare the DA-8 against it?

 

Sorry, have not heard that one yet. One person I know thought it was too bright and edgy, along the lines of the original. Someone else I know really enjoyed it and thought it fixed all the complaints he had about the DAC1. So I don't know what to think. 

post #235 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post

 

Odd. I'll definitely play some DSD the first chance I get, and let you know if I hear anything funky. But nice to hear the DA8 can hang with the Luxman gear. The only Luxman DAC I ever heard was an older model, I forget the exact number, but I found it very warm and analog sounding. Maybe too much so. But I don't know if they continue that same character in the newer models.  

      The D-05 was bit warmer , but more open than the newer DA-06 on PCM , the former sounding more natural and hence our pick between the 2 . On DSD there was some subtle differences in staging where the DA-06 was wider  , while the DA8 more depth.  Neither sounded better , just different presentation.. also hard to say which one is more faithful to the original.

post #236 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwhere View Post

 

Isn't that the maximum output, 2v? Why would it be different?

 

Yes, I might have been confused... it is indeed max 2v. My Wadia 121 is 2v default and with the volume all the way up, the manual says the output is 4v. So I thought the DA8 might be similar. Really, this is just my ignorance of EE shining through me thinks. ;)

 

In case anyone is interested, it's possible to increase the output to 4v though, per Yulong's email reply to my question:

 

Quote:
The pre - amp maximum output voltage is 2 v
If need to increase the voltage, short circuit on the PCB four resistors can double the output voltage

Edited by mojolo - 6/9/13 at 6:23pm
post #237 of 500
No.issues here playing DSD, DXD and switching between formats.
post #238 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 View Post

 

I've been using the same combo of DA8 and HE-400 and I completely agree - it's killer! HE-500 is good too, but for some reason the HE-400 has a real synergy thing going on with the built in amp. I still need to try the rear XLR connections to drive headphones directly, and see if HE-500 responds well to that or not. 

 

Also agree on soundstage - this thing is among the best DACs I've ever experienced when it comes to that aspect. It's just unbelievably good. I really notice it even more when I throw it in a speaker based system. Wow. 

I know right, well it was on your recommendation of synergy with the D18/A18 that bought the he-400 so thank you again. But with the DA8, the sound stage is on a different level.

post #239 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funklezen View Post

Sounds so promising :-) . Have any compared it to the antelope zodiac plus? And looking forward to the impressions with the he-500 :-D

Well I owned the Zodiac+ for a couple of years so I know it well. In saying that, I haven't heard it for nearly a year so can't compare them side by side. Regardless:

I personally think the DA8 is better. The Zodiac+ is a pretty special DAC though. It's digital section is second to none and it has a certain refinement up top that is unique, in fact the DA8 is the only DAC I've heard that comes close in that regard. Unfortunately the power supply section of the Zodiac+ is terrible, just a cheap walwart. And it shows in the presentation. It just misses out on that heft and blackness you get with a great linear psu. 

So if you went with a great linear psu for the Zodiac+ (which I didn't) I'm sure it would narrow the gap substantially but research will confirm this. As stand alone units, performance wise it could be somewhat close but I would definitely go for the DA8. Considering it's half the price of the Zodiac+ makes it far better value too.

Hope that helps mate.

post #240 of 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by customNuts View Post

Well I owned the Zodiac+ for a couple of years so I know it well. In saying that, I haven't heard it for nearly a year so can't compare them side by side. Regardless:

I personally think the DA8 is better. The Zodiac+ is a pretty special DAC though. It's digital section is second to none and it has a certain refinement up top that is unique, in fact the DA8 is the only DAC I've heard that comes close in that regard. Unfortunately the power supply section of the Zodiac+ is terrible, just a cheap walwart. And it shows in the presentation. It just misses out on that heft and blackness you get with a great linear psu. 

So if you went with a great linear psu for the Zodiac+ (which I didn't) I'm sure it would narrow the gap substantially but research will confirm this. As stand alone units, performance wise it could be somewhat close but I would definitely go for the DA8. Considering it's half the price of the Zodiac+ makes it far better value too.

Hope that helps mate.

 




How would you say it compares to the Audio-GD Ref 7.1 youve got?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Yulong's new DA8