Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Beresford TC-7530DC Bushmaster Review (Giant Killer?)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beresford TC-7530DC Bushmaster Review (Giant Killer?) - Page 3  

post #31 of 83
Good to hear as - compared to bifrost anyway - I found congestion very low. Hope to get time to ab with my other two dacs in the next few weeks.
post #32 of 83

Very cool review, and looks like a great product. I always really liked my 7520 and it looks like he's got another winner here.

post #33 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon N View Post

Very cool review, and looks like a great product. I always really liked my 7520 and it looks like he's got another winner here.

It's very rare for a 7520 owner who maxed out the Caiman to not prefer the Bushmaster. Stan has stated several times on how much the 7530 is an all together better design overall.

post #34 of 83
What is it with UK DACs and USB? My Rega DAC is superb through optical and coax, but stutters through USB. And this one doesn't have USB at all!
 
Still, I'd like a Bushmaster to sit on the computer desk with my PC (which has both optical and coax) and let the Rega stay on the audio rack where it belongs.
 
My only worry is that the sound signature of the Bushmaster might be too close to the Rega, both being from UK - does that make any sense at all? - and so I might be buying the same sound twice. 
post #35 of 83
Thread Starter 

mmmm... anyone heard both the Rega and BM??

 

In my experience the BM is different to other dacs of a similar price and above. It adds a certain  "excitement" to the music. For look of a better word.

 

For me it's the dynamics and smoothness at the same time. It's kind of "U" shaped without the recessed mids... If you know what I mean?

 

I'd also have a look at the Rdac, I've read that it is very close to the Rega and cheaper. I have one and rate it very highly. Especially if its a more natural and refined sound that you want.

post #36 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexirius View Post

What is it with UK DACs and USB? My Rega DAC is superb through optical and coax, but stutters through USB. And this one doesn't have USB at all!
 
Still, I'd like a Bushmaster to sit on the computer desk with my PC (which has both optical and coax) and let the Rega stay on the audio rack where it belongs.
 
My only worry is that the sound signature of the Bushmaster might be too close to the Rega, both being from UK - does that make any sense at all? - and so I might be buying the same sound twice. 

 

Serious weirdness here.

I have a FiiO E17 DAC/Amp, costs $150.00

I don't have any issus with using USB, Coax or Optical inputs!   confused_face_2.gif

 

I also have an iBasso D12........$275.00.

Again, NP with Optical, USB or Coax digital inputs.

 

 

Of course, I'm sure the Rega is a better sounding piece of gear!

post #37 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

 

Serious weirdness here.

I have a FiiO E17 DAC/Amp, costs $150.00

I don't have any issus with using USB, Coax or Optical inputs!   confused_face_2.gif

 

I also have an iBasso D12........$275.00.

Again, NP with Optical, USB or Coax digital inputs.

 

 

Of course, I'm sure the Rega is a better sounding piece of gear!

 

Actually, your observation makes the Bushmaster an attractive buy,

because nowadays there are a lot of  relatively inexpensive DACs

with very capable USB inputs that one can pick up to complement what

BM lacks.

 

But my point was, if competent USB input is already so easy to implement
such that 
even inexpensive DACS like Fiio E17 and iBasso D12 has it,
why did Rega settle for an inferior 
implementation of USB  while the

Bushmaster does not include one at all? For instance, Audio-dg has DACS

with 32-bit/192k USB while the much more expensive Rega only has 16-bit/48k,

and the BM has none.

post #38 of 83
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexirius View Post

 

Actually, your observation makes the Bushmaster an attractive buy,

because nowadays there are a lot of  relatively inexpensive DACs

with very capable USB inputs that one can pick up to complement what

BM lacks.

 

But my point was, if competent USB input is already so easy to implement
such that 
even inexpensive DACS like Fiio E17 and iBasso D12 has it,
why did Rega settle for an inferior 
implementation of USB  while the

Bushmaster does not include one at all? For instance, Audio-dg has DACS

with 32-bit/192k USB while the much more expensive Rega only has 16-bit/48k,

and the BM has none.

I think there is still a bit of snobbery regarding coaxial and usb implementation at the mo. My findings are that coaxial and then optical are still better sounding inputs than asynchronous USB inputs. My V-dacII for instance, which has supposedly a very good usb implementation that is basically their original V-link (£150) is not that good. I can still hear jitter. Don't know why my external spdif converter works better, maybe its a better design? My async usb on my Rdac has never worked :(

 

Anyways, I think many dacs are already pretty crowded circuit boards and some designers may concentrate on getting the absolute best SQ for the money as opposed to having every input available. USB is still in its infancy in regards to serious hifi, and its only recently where we have seen high end dacs starting to implement them.

 

However, I'd say its a safe bet that the next Rega offering will have asynchronous USB.

post #39 of 83

I can't A-B both DACs as I've never owned the Rega. I have, however, listened to it some time ago.

Past this intro, I don't really see the Rega bettering the Bush or vice versa in a significant way. I'd figure they sound different - both are great DACs. One could, also, prefer one to the other for personal reasons. Having said that, when I look at the prices of both machines the choice is clear to me.

 

I liked the Rega a lot and there seems to be quite a lot of sinergy with their amps, but my wallet was never in distress. The Bush was an impulse buy that I only regret not having done before. Both are giant killers imo, but I also find this expression a bit too used up.

 

Are a few inexpensive (or not so expensive) products giant killers, or do we have too many expensive products that don't perform?

 

It's a shame that Stan has gotten a somewhat bad rep on some internet foruns and that seems to hurt the popularity of his products. The fact remains that the Bushmaster is an excellent DAC out of the box.

 

As for USB, and I don't want to get into a flame war, but I don't really see the point of using it when there are other options present in your source for output of digital signal.

post #40 of 83
A high quality USB asynchronous input is an additional chip set and more $$$.
post #41 of 83

"Best of both worlds" incoming. popcorn.gif

post #42 of 83
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaval View Post

"Best of both worlds" incoming. popcorn.gif

eek.gif

post #43 of 83

Lugbug, et al,

 

Thanks for taking the time for a thorough and thoughtful review - and thanks to everyone for the great discussion about the new Beresford.

 

I have been searching for this kind of information for a long time - im lucky to have found it now.

 

I have purchased the TC-7530DC and will review it after it arrives and burns in.  I wonder why there are not more reviews of Beresford on widely read publications - like WhatHiFi.  Its too bad - clearly these DAC deserve the attention.

 

Thanks again!

post #44 of 83

Welcome to Headfi Stubies.I was about to say sorry about your wallet but you made a smart decision and your wallet will thank you instead :)

 

There quite a lot of user reviews which is the most important thing if you want to filter out the marketing component. Please share your impressions after you spent a bit of time listening to it on your system. I bought this on a whim and I'm still in awe as I revisit a few recordings... just yesterday I had a bit of time to listen with my louspeakers and the recreation of a couple of Back organ works through this DAC is really something special... it goes loooow! No headphone I have can recreate THAT!

post #45 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubies View Post

Lugbug, et al,

 

Thanks for taking the time for a thorough and thoughtful review - and thanks to everyone for the great discussion about the new Beresford.

 

I have been searching for this kind of information for a long time - im lucky to have found it now.

 

I have purchased the TC-7530DC and will review it after it arrives and burns in.  I wonder why there are not more reviews of Beresford on widely read publications - like WhatHiFi.  Its too bad - clearly these DAC deserve the attention.

 

Thanks again!

 

HiFiChoice gave the Bere/Bush a very positive review! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Beresford TC-7530DC Bushmaster Review (Giant Killer?)