Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › King Sound Emperor: New Electrostatic Headphones!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

King Sound Emperor: New Electrostatic Headphones! - Page 39

post #571 of 658

Now there is some news!   Looks like a bit more of a proper build.  Any details?

 

My KS-H1's are torn apart now and getting heavily modified, with some promising results.  Most recently we've been looking at replacing the dust covers, which are definitely holding the drivers back.

post #572 of 658

What material do you have in mind for the dust covers that you're thinking of replacing?

post #573 of 658

We've been talking about mylar, maybe some cooking bags...

 

I was actually planning to reach out to you in your DIY thread and see if you had some advice for us!!

post #574 of 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipsupt View Post
 

Now there is some news!   Looks like a bit more of a proper build.  Any details?

 

My KS-H1's are torn apart now and getting heavily modified, with some promising results.  Most recently we've been looking at replacing the dust covers, which are definitely holding the drivers back.

Will compare the two headphones tomorrow with some side by side pics but this one is plastic and metal mainly and a much improved build quality over the H1 - its been a month since i heard the H1 due to the M10 being in HK for a "make-over" so I have to take some time and listen to both but initial reaction was this was a "proper" headphone and not a cyborg implant.

post #575 of 658

Now that is good news indeed unless they start charging 1K$ for them.  I'm much more interested to know what's inside the cups and what has been changed. 

post #576 of 658

Any news on the KS H-02?

post #577 of 658
ah full review I hope by this weekend with pics smily_headphones1.gif sorry for delay, backlog of reviews to do.
post #578 of 658

Just some very short impressions on the new KS H-02 headphone.

 

The hum has gone using the M-10. I had background hum on the original headphone and after getting a replacement M-10 and the new KS-H-02 and doing an A/B on the new headphones the KS-H1 still has hum but the H-02 is hum free. 

 

My setup for testing is Flac/Foobar/WASAPI/windows 7/Just Audio uDAC2496/Questyle Audio CMA800r pre-amp/Kingsound M-10 SS/KS-H01/2.

 

Some slight audible changes are a slightly more dynamic presentation, less veiled, better vocal stage and slightly richer quality than the 01. Clarity might be up a notch also. Gosh I hope this is not placebo hehe.

 

Pads are a bit deeper also on the H-02.


Edited by marcusd - 12/4/13 at 2:39am
post #579 of 658

Still looks "cheap" to me. I like the gimble rods and headband assembly looks bit classy and sturdy. The cups look like late 70's Superex headphones.

post #580 of 658

Thanks for the initial impressions.  Is the new headphone available yet? Expected release dates?

post #581 of 658

So do they still look like this?

 

 

LL

post #582 of 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by complin View Post
 

So do they still look like this?

 

 

LL

 

yes that is an actual picture of the one I have in my house right now :)

post #583 of 658

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipsupt View Post
 

Thanks for the initial impressions.  Is the new headphone available yet? Expected release dates?

I literally emailed Kingsound asking for the same thing an hour ago hehe.. I have not seen this headphone for sale anywhere myself personally but I consider it an upgrade for sure on the original H1. The h1 makes everything more veiled and compressed compared to the H02.

 

update.... Simon is out of town until next week so have to wait until then.. holiday in HK?

 

Off to our national meet on Sunday and it will be side by side a Stax Omega SR007 & SM007 set and an Abyss with some tasty amps so I hope to get a proper comparison as the last system I had was a 3030 system and on aural memory they were too bass light for me. The Kingsound is more in keeping with my old SRX MK3 tonality which sadly I do not have anymore.

 

Apologies I have not had the same depth of exposure as some of you guys on stats but so far I find the KS system acceptable as entry level but the SS amp is not well implemented with lots of design bypasses, a cheap pot and blowing too hot (yeah I opened it up too and had a tech look at it and he smiled and wanted to know why for all the last minute revisions by KS).

 

The hum anyone is experiencing is 100% with the H1 headphone and not the H-02 which is a big positive for me as I am testing them side by side right now. 


Edited by marcusd - 12/4/13 at 7:02am
post #584 of 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post
 

Still looks "cheap" to me. I like the gimble rods and headband assembly looks bit classy and sturdy. The cups look like late 70's Superex headphones.

That is accurate - the gimbles and headband are indeed of metal construction and everything is is hard plastic and plether. The pads are slightly deeper than the original pads on the H01.

post #585 of 658

Somewhat surprised you find the Lambda bass lite? I think this may be because the bass on stats is so well textured, natural and controlled. It's not the one note overblown bass found on so many dynamics these days. May also have been the source you were using.  

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcusd View Post

 

Off to our national meet on Sunday and it will be side by side a Stax Omega SR007 & SM007 set and an Abyss with some tasty amps so I hope to get a proper comparison as the last system I had was a 3030 system and on aural memory they were too bass light for me. The Kingsound is more in keeping with my old SRX MK3 tonality which sadly I do not have anymore.

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › King Sound Emperor: New Electrostatic Headphones!