Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › King Sound Emperor: New Electrostatic Headphones!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

King Sound Emperor: New Electrostatic Headphones! - Page 2

post #16 of 658

For those that not aware, AFAIK, King Sound is a headphone distributor/reseller in HK. I used to frequent them and in fact bought my first drug gateway to this headphone world, MS-1. What I can see here is that with the booming interest in the headphone world, they decided to venture and make their own house brand. Stats headphone from what i was  told is actually easier to make/produce than dynamic headphone. Coupled this with the popularity/image of stats as high end sound, plus the cheap labor and production cost from China, this decision of having house brand makes perfect sense for me.

 

I'll take this headphone with a grain of salt and reserving my comments till I have a chance to audition it. But I wont keep my hopes too high looking at the history of the company behind it........

post #17 of 658
Anyone else notice that you can see the foam in the headband? - The leather/pleather isn't even stitched up around it. A vintage look is all very well, but a lot of the vintage headphones I've had look a lot better finished than these.
post #18 of 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by forbigger View Post

For those that not aware, AFAIK, King Sound is a headphone distributor/reseller in HK. I used to frequent them and in fact bought my first drug gateway to this headphone world, MS-1. What I can see here is that with the booming interest in the headphone world, they decided to venture and make their own house brand. Stats headphone from what i was  told is actually easier to make/produce than dynamic headphone. Coupled this with the popularity/image of stats as high end sound, plus the cheap labor and production cost from China, this decision of having house brand makes perfect sense for me.

I'll take this headphone with a grain of salt and reserving my comments till I have a chance to audition it. But I wont keep my hopes too high looking at the history of the company behind it........

There is Kingsound and there is King Sound. Different companies afaik. One is an audio shop you mentioned, the other is a speaker manufacturer.

http://www.headphone.com.hk/
http://www.kingsaudio.com.hk/old_index.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieE View Post

Anyone else notice that you can see the foam in the headband? - The leather/pleather isn't even stitched up around it. A vintage look is all very well, but a lot of the vintage headphones I've had look a lot better finished than these.
I think it was Drew (or maybe the HiFi+ introduction) who mentioned that the headband was placeholder, just something quick for the show.
Edited by Maxvla - 1/29/13 at 11:12am
post #19 of 658

ouch.....didnt know that its a separate entity.....sorry, pls disregard my post above......

post #20 of 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer View Post

Second issue is the general fail with any King Sound design I've seen.  It's almost if they don't fully understand the electrostatic principle and what makes it tick. 

 

 

Just curious, what part of the design is fail? Care to expand a bit? 

post #21 of 658
Word from Drew from the manufacturer is that the whole headband is a placeholder. It may finish like that, but it probably won't.

Nothing is set in stone at this point. The solid state amp can be set on its side but you would have to stick on your own feet.

So far color options appear to be silver and black, gold is not expected to be available.
post #22 of 658
It currently uses the same plug as Stax. I doubt that will change, but I wouldn't make any plans just yet.
post #23 of 658

what a terrible idea that is - so many people sure to blow out their headphones (unless it uses a 6-pin, though then you run the risk of blowing out their stax normal bias cans in the king amp)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

It currently uses the same plug as Stax. I doubt that will change, but I wouldn't make any plans just yet.
post #24 of 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Doug View Post

what a terrible idea that is - so many people sure to blow out their headphones (unless it uses a 6-pin, though then you run the risk of blowing out their stax normal bias cans in the king amp)

 


I don't really care as long as something's getting blown. Looking forward to a 950/Lambda contender.

post #25 of 658

Looks like a pair of Koss headphones.

post #26 of 658

Looks better than the 950s at least.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefQon View Post

Looks like a pair of Koss headphones.

post #27 of 658

WANT!

post #28 of 658

Is that a Stax cable?  The frequency response made me chuckle tongue.gif  The headband looks like a fit issue waiting to happen, too

post #29 of 658

i wish the design is more stylish.... it looks like 20 dollars headphone,  also detachable cable would been nice.

post #30 of 658

Those gold coloured headphones look terrible.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3rdling View Post

Is that a Stax cable?  The frequency response made me chuckle tongue.gif  The headband looks like a fit issue waiting to happen, too

 

Cable definitely looks Stax inspired, and apparently...
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

It currently uses the same plug as Stax. I doubt that will change, but I wouldn't make any plans just yet.

 

This seems to be a stupid idea....  5-pin or 6-pin??


Edited by jjinh - 1/29/13 at 10:50pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › King Sound Emperor: New Electrostatic Headphones!